Broomsticks, Tongs, and Other, Unorthodox Weaponry

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Schwerganoik, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwerganoik

Schwerganoik Avatar

One detail that always struck me in Ultima VII was seeing people's holding in their hands things of mundane utility, such as rolling pins, rakes, and smithing hammers. Will Shroud of the Avatar's NPCs be carrying around things like that, and will the Avatar be able to use them for their intended functions (as well as slapping foes with them)?

If the answer to those questions is yes, what unorthodox weapon would each of you wield? My favorite in Ultima VII was the meat cleaver.

2. Robby

Robby Avatar

I started a thread pretty much just like this and no one paid attention! Oh well.

I particularly like the idea of using pitchforks or pickaxes to bash creatures that come by while im mining. No they cant be as effective as items meant for battle, but it'd be nice if there were at least some critters that I could fend off other than mongbats.

BillRoy and rild like this.
  3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Fishing poles.

In WoW I've faught almost every creature in the game with a fishing pole, I've healed in dungeons with a fishing pole and kept everyone alive.

The Fishing pole, it's like a cross between a buggy whip and a lightsaber.

rild likes this.
  4. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Frying Pans!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] ... so did Dr. Who, Sam.

Miracle Dragon, BillRoy and rild like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I would love to fight someone with a fish.

6. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Lew Zealand, Boomerang Fish Thrower.

Sir Avorin Swftslay, BillRoy and rild like this.
  7. Robby

Robby Avatar

You!!
    ... you got to that one before me...
    I think it'd be cool if you could equip almost every item as a weapon that a hand could physically hold (like steal balls, frying pans, pad locks) and use them in battle and do more damage than bare fists.
    Can you imagaine a swordfish as a weapon? That could create a major owie. And if you've ever pulled a little fish out of the water, even those dinky little blue gills have fins on them that really really hurt to get poked by.
    There was this one video game on the dreamcast I think that my friend showed me. It was similar to final fantasy 7 in gameplay and all. One of the easter eggs in the game was an item that was an equipable fish. And in battle you got the main character who was once using deadly weapons in combat now defeating all his foes with a fish! It was pretty funny.
    Or theres that one movie, Sampson and Delilah where he defeats the whole philistian army with! "...the jawbone of an ass..." (im talking about a donkey jawbone by the way and im not sure how to spell philistian I just spell how it sounds).

BillRoy and rild like this.
  8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I wanna fight with a shield on one arm, and my leather belt in the other.

You gonna getta whuppin, boy!

9. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Great Thread. Absolute Must!

-the fish

+Scissors, Hammers, Brooms, Books, Rolling Pins, Sticks, Fry Pans, Pots, Cutlery, Plates, Bone, Glass - Anything that is hard or can be sharpened to an edge......Yes please.

+hoe of destruction

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Fave melee weapon in TF2.;)

You don't need to sharpen or alter them, they should be "pick-up and swing", like in the horror movies.:p

11. Schwerganoik

Schwerganoik Avatar

I must admit, I wasn't expecting fish to be so popular of a weapon.

12. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

Lets all fight with sporks!!!

rild and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  13. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I like the idea of being able to get drunk and brawl with beer mugs in hand..

But yeah, while we're at it, why not be able to swing a lute into someone's head?

Other than mugs and instruments, I guess I like fire pokers, ice picks, and hay hooks.

RandAlThor likes this.
  14. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

It'd be a nice fun little mechanic for laughs.
    Any console kids remember Chrono Cross? Loads of characters used household items.
    Easter egg weapons in Castlevania Curse of Darkness. Hector laid waste to enemies with a Flying V guitar. The attack sequence and combos were centered around 80s hair metal band killer riff theatrics. The piko piko hammer......................
    Soul Caliber for the Gamecube. Link + Bugnet = psychological combat against other players.
    Hunter the Reckoning (pen and paper)
    Character Name: John Doe
    Resources score of 1. He was a stocker at Home Depot 9 to 5 Monday through Friday. When the sun went down he took up his true calling . Cleansing the world of the supernatural. All of his skills somehow revolved around home repair, lawn care and machines. This guy was MacGuyver and Bob Villa combined.
    Melee score of 5. His specialization.......tools. He took out a cabal of necromancers in a graveyard with a gravediggers shovel. Staked a vampire with a front yard election sign. They decided to retaliate. Little did they know that chasing him into a construction site was the worst idea on the planet.
    This character lasted an entire winter of sessions. His heroics were so big he eventually caught the eye of the Supernatural Affairs Department. He turned down their offer to be a world class 007 ghost hunting G-Man for an assistant night manager job at HD. (yes he spent experience points to bump himself up the corporate ladder) He now lives in middle America. Is divorced. Pays child support. In a 2 bedroom artment. And is now an alcoholic.
    I wish I were joking lol.

AuroraWR and rild like this.
  15. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Avatar

I cant find the forum thread on combat! But if anyone reads this, we should have combat use stamina! it would makethe attacks be more skilled and timed, also I'm still down for perma death if you make all the levels of character very close and the development of skills easy enough. I know it is a group type game and not multiplayer but in State of Decay the training paths are small, use stamina and have perma death and its fun. The pre alpha looks pretty good guys and keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.