Magick

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by MalakBrightpalm, Aug 22, 2013.

?

How do you want to see these magic schools combine?

1. Not at all! Casting from the discussed 8 pure and 8 hybrid, plus chaos is PLENTY!

20.8%
  2. I want to be able to combine Chaos with the other 16 poles to get 33 possibly play styles.

1.9%
  3. Selecting multiple poles to represent my character gives an awesome "build your own class" system.

24.5%
  4. I want to be able to pick and choose from all schools as I see fit!

52.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

This is speculation. The thought is there's a lot of ways to throttle the skills so that you could learn everything. But they can go many different directions with this. I've never seen any comment on this from a developer.

We also know nothing about the lore really. Only the implications that there might be other races and possibly factions in some way. This could also be a limitation. Maybe it's impossible to learn skills from two opposing schools...or just impossible to put both in the same deck. None of this is decided.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  2. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Well, it makes SOME sense. What if, for instance, I have a theory of magick that describes a smooth continuum from life into death and back again? Perhaps I could spend more points, give something else up, and then be able to combine the two?

3. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

That wouldnt really be the "death" magik that I was thinking of....the theory you describe would be one of nature and natural cycles of ife and death, Im talking about corrupting nature, undeath, necormancy and the evil side of things. Heheheh but I really havn't given it that much thought.

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Everything decays. The nature of life is to age. Age brings weakness. Disease is a form of life, feeding on and hastening decay. In death, everything becomes the food of something else. The spirit is no different. Spiritual decay feeds the underworld, and the spirits of the dead are the food of the shades beyond. Those shades offer power that can be used by the living. The diseases of the soul, vice, corruption, madness, can be harnessed both from the living AND the dead, and used as weapons, and as defenses. The consumption of the soul by the shades of Hades purifies them, makes of them new spirit, which feeds back into the great loom as the stuff from which the innocent souls of newborns is made. Without the Shades of Hades, the sins of our past lives would haunt us, and those who also benefitted from the reincarnation of our souls. But those Shades feed on the diseases of the soul, without enough evil in the world, they weaken, weakened, they cannot properly purify the souls they consume. The innocence of the newborn is founded in the corruption of it's ancestors.

Life > Death > Life
    Good > Evil > Good
    Virtue > anti-Virtue> Virtue

I'm just farting around off the top of my head, but I think a paradigm could be constructed.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Even if we can learn every skill possible there should be reasonable and relative skill point progressions between all the paths we choose to take.

For example the post you quoted earlier about Mage skills being gained by only putting skill points in the base skills of each magic school... that is a good idea because if we were expected to put skill points in all the individual spells as well as the inate abilities it would take more than 10X the skill points to become a complete mage, compared to a person who just wanted to master warrior skills.

REFRENCE: PURE MAGE - SKILL POINT ALLOCATION

6. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

I would like to be able to pick and choose between many disciplines without restriction. I think that although this would be more difficult to balance, it affords the player the greatest variety of choice and doesn't push you into a class, such as 'life mage' or 'sword-wielding' character. What if I want to dual-wield axes and daggers? Magic and blades?

smack, Isaiah MGT470 and LoneStranger like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

@Kilhwch EXACTLY!

8. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Not all life is good, not all death is bad :)

I realize there are players who want no restrictions whatsoever while I think a more believable/rational system like actual REAL life
    there are restrictions. Trying to ignore restrictions is like trying to live a life of action devoid of consequence....it cannot be done...or done well.

9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I don't see the connection between limiting schools of magic I can draw from and real life. How does real life teach us that you cannot practice opposed schools of magic??

derek6665 (Baldrith) and Isaiah like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

No restrictions, but I will accept any positive or negative affects my use of opposing skills will have on my virtues. Let my actions affect how the game plays out for me, but don't limit my ability to take those actions. We don't know what, if any, going down one path or the other -- say, mastering life magic vs mastering death magic, or even chaos magic will have on virtues or how the game reacts to its use. Perhaps none. Perhaps in some way, we don't know. But I'd like to find out!

Plus, it will allow for some very interesting combos. Life + Death combo = Zombie!

MalakBrightpalm and Isaiah like this.
  11. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Oooh, a discussion of casting METHOD. Something I've always enjoyed was item enchantment. The MAGICK was cast carefully and slowly, with expensive reagents in a sanctified place, the benefit is an item that has extra abilities, either on use with some limiter, or passive but small.

Part of the reason I love it is for those small passive benefits, because they let you add more complexity to a build. There was a little known master level inchantment in WoW, Burning Crusade, that I used not only very successfully there, but throughought Lich King as well. NOBODY seemed to understand why, but it was VERY useful for me. It's because I figured out a way to combine it's oddball effect with several other things to create a real benefit, right in a spot that a lot of people were having trouble getting enough. I had MORE than enough, because I had access to that rare chant. 'Course, I'd do it for the cost of mats + any tips offered if anybody else WANTED it, but most people couldn't understand what was going on.

rild and TemplarAssassin like this.
  12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

For the sake of the thread topic I edited Rampage down to what he posted about magic. I would LOVE to have any confirmation of these details that we can get outside of dev+.

IF this is how it works, it looks like an excellent start to the system, I don't see any one school of magic that is better than the others, but I do see far too many that I want, so I'll have to pick and choose.

rild likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't think we are limited to picking only one school of magic if we are a pure mage. We should be able to Learn all or almost all the mage skills, but that's just my hopes mixed with my basic understanding from what we have a available to us. We will have to see how many skill points will ultimately be available to us when we reach maximum level.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

True, but I don't plan to play full mage. I'm certain that long before I find the exact build I want, with every feature that I want to incorporate into it, I'll run out of points. Economizing and figuring out how to get what I need from what I've got is part of the fun.

15. Sean

Sean Avatar

Im going to point out that almost half of these are incorrect... i wont list them all but to give u an example: i want to heal and cure: bandaids. I want to trap or untrap chests:tinkering i want to rez:bandaids. I want to hide:hiding skill. I want to poison:poison weapon skill ect....

Isaiah likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Avatar

See in dungeons: night site pot. I want to have creatures follow fight with me:taming

17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I think the point he was making was that while you COULD use those items or skills, you could ALSO just push the "win button" that is unrestrained magick. IF, and that's kinda his point 'IF', the devs give the mages a spell for every purpose, then every other skill, every other way of playing, becomes second best.

18. Sean

Sean Avatar

O i c yea i understand now

19. Sean

Sean Avatar

I always play magic in every game so im blind to mages being op all the time hehe

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.