Magick

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by MalakBrightpalm, Aug 22, 2013.

?

How do you want to see these magic schools combine?

1. Not at all! Casting from the discussed 8 pure and 8 hybrid, plus chaos is PLENTY!

20.8%
  2. I want to be able to combine Chaos with the other 16 poles to get 33 possibly play styles.

1.9%
  3. Selecting multiple poles to represent my character gives an awesome "build your own class" system.

24.5%
  4. I want to be able to pick and choose from all schools as I see fit!

52.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorix Cursedbone

Lorix Cursedbone Avatar

This all-seeing eye in the middle is typical of the Illuminati symbol. Everywhere Illuminati are described as representatives of dark lodge. Brotherhood working on establishing the power of Satan on earth.
    New World Order, which has a very unpleasant plans for humanity.
    On top of this all-seeing eye in the center of the symbol of chaos, surrounded by the four elements plus symbols of death, Ankh, sun and inexplicably, broken on pieces moon? And all that is in Ashta Lakshmi simbol!?!?!?!?
    "Ashta Lakshmi, also spelled as Ashtalakshmi (Sanskrit: अष्टलक्ष्मी, Aṣṭalakṣmī, lit. "eight Lakshmis"), are a group of eight Hindu goddesses, secondary manifestations of Shri-Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth, who preside over eight sources of wealth: "Wealth" in the context of Ashta-Lakshmi means prosperity, good health, knowledge, strength, progeny, and power.The Ashta Lakshmi are always depicted and worshipped in a group in temples.

What should we expect next? Avatars to giving an appeals to Satan in Latin or Sanskrit, and to call his power to help them?
    You are either very stupid and illiterate or insane or evidence of the truthfulness of conspiracy plans of the dark lodge.
    I`m out.

2. rild

rild Avatar

Dear Sir,

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

LULZ !!

RAW

ps Avatar is a sanskrit word too :eek:

Wsye likes this.
  3. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Wow, I'm impressed. Can we have in game blood sacrifice to Odin too?

NirAntae and rild like this.
  4. Gronk

Gronk Avatar

And while we're at it, screw "balancing." Give us enough choices in skills, etc. that people can find their own ways to win, and then share their build...or not. Just like life. I'm so sick of people complaining that so-and-so is overpowered. BS. Just figure out how to kill them, especially with a classless game like this one that has SO many possible combinations of skills, spells, etc. Or bring some friends.

5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

If everyone is making a samurai vampire, then someone needs to have another look at game balance. Of course, another warning sign is when the only people playing warriors, are warriors.

6. Carillon

Carillon Avatar

Even though my comments aren't furthering the current/last conversation, it's still about "Magick" (sic) overall, so I deemed this place as good as any.

Colors
    There were 4 colors (orange, grey, green & something else) shown on the wheel and I haven't seen/heard of anyone discussing them, so I'm curious what Chris & Starr thought about regarding those colors when putting them onto the wheel. I think it would be interesting to have each of the 8 (9) branches "glow" or have light effects around the spectrum of the color that they fit upon, possibly even using layered lighting effects. One, it would be a quick, visual way to determine what realm of magic the spell is being cast from and two, it would allow for some really interesting side-effects, especially outside of combat for light-shows (think seeing a wizard's duel on a mountain top from down in the valley, or just for fun outside a tavern [fireworks!]).

Another possibility regarding wands or staves or even enchanted swords (etc), would be the potential of seeing a "charged" item glow in the color of the magic domain via sigils, glyphs or even just artistic designs carved into the item.

Edited for grammer (yikes).

NirAntae likes this.
  7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I've heard others on the forum call the outer circle Order since Chaos is in the middle but I've never heard the Dev's call it that.
    If it is Order then maybe it is broken up into four sides like law, protection, authority, and individual rights.
    But then you would have to break Chaos up into things like anarchy, vulnerable, selfish, and uncontrolled.
    But a system like that don't make sense with everything else.

So if the circle is not Order then what is it?
    And your right what are the colors for?
    Can the colors spin around so they line up differently?

8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

With the new sigils showing Combat and Crafting, I wonder if there might be synergies. Perhaps death magic will work well with bow/crossbow skills? Or if not those combinations, then perhaps the sigils will be rotated before final release. I think that might be kinda cool though, if combining the weapon skills, the magic skills, maybe even the crafting skills in certain ways produced new opportunities. Technically even ONE good combo skill coming from each of the possible combinations would produce an interesting variety. Or maybe it would produce preferred combinations, leading to classes. I dunno.

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

My only concern with Magick is that it will become a mandatory skill in order to function. Bringing up the taboo subject of UO as a comparison, you really can't have a character over there without Magery or Chivalry which both contain a recall spell. If I want to play a warrior, I don't want to get pigeon-holed into having to support magery in order to play the game. Just my two cents! Cheers!

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  10. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I totally get your point, although I must point out that Portalarium has stated there will be NO recall spell.

Ned888 likes this.
  11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Yay to no Recall! Hopefully there will be fully functional healing in Alchemy and via a healing skill of some sort, otherwise Magick might still creep into our builds whether we like it or not....

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Cleric or Paladin with weapons is good we could fight and heal! then the mages can have some sort of protection and healing all thier own, if you dont give a mage healing type stuff early on they will die alot

13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I've been thinking this for a while. Individual builds will be based around what abilities you COMBINE, not what abilites you have. Training up skill in the various abilites will expand all of our versatility, but everyone will have a preferred playstyle, be it cookie cutter of something a friend did, or invented themselves, pure and simple or "you'd never guess what happens when you combine these!".

Naturally, we don't actually know what the system will and will not do, but I've been hoping from the beginning of the magic announcements that we would be able to unlock various sub group powers in our quest to learn everything and design our personal favorite builds. I just hope there are enough options to really allow people to play how they want.

Vyrinor likes this.
  14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well it is early so I really can't say much. But as it looks right now the power players will take straight abilities cause a chaos mage with everything maxed nukes everything on the board. Where Joe who wants to play a hybrid no one wants to group with cause he isn't as powerful as a straight up ability person. And yes there are combo's you can get but you still have to put points in 2 or more different skills to get them and that dilutes your power. Now maybe if the combo spell/abilities relative power was equal to all the skill levels you'd bought. So if "flame jet" took fire 3 and air 2 the spells relative power was a 5 that would even out the battlefield. But that would only work for the combo spells?!? hmmm.....will need to give this more thought

15. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Some one call me? :D

16. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Very similar thoughts to what I've been stewing over. In every skill tree, there are likely to be powers I do want, and powers I don't. Completely ignoring things like, say, axe skills that wouldn't work with my sword and board build, there will be sword skills and shield skills that don't really hold my interest. I'm hoping first that I can get the skills, be they crafting, arms&armor, or magic, that I want; second that my choices will be somewhat unique; and third that they won't be horribly, game breakingly, "Oh my God he's soloing eight city guards, patch the system, patch the system", overpowered.

To get my first wish, Portalarium will have to implement something like what you describe, Isaiah. I can't be spending all my time/points/resources getting to a power in shields, only to find that I don't have enough left to reach the powers I want from swords.

To get my second wish, the abilites that I skip over will have to be VIABLE, desirable to people who want to play that way, not just weaker "low level" versions of the better skills that I *AM* getting. Which means, conversely, that as the skills are developed, they cannot simply put in upgraded versions of each spell, move, or power. Each power has to be a special unique flower, deserving of love and of being used in a kick ass build. Or it will be fodder.

To get my third wish, all of those unique powers will have to be relentlessly tested and balanced, and that's gonna take a LOT of time. I'm perfectly willing to volunteer, as I'm sure almost every other kickstarter backer is, to playtest the hell out of the Alpha and Beta versions.

Anyone who remembers playtesting Rift, you recall how clerics got a MASSIVE nerf/rebuild around Beta weekend 6? Sorry, that was me and my buddy, technically I built the character combos and skill points, but when I needed to sleep he took over, and, uh, tanked the current end game instance while passively healing the group...cleric was a little OP...

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

You are always welcome to drop by.:)

Now, just for my clarity, are you speaking about a revealed system from the dev+ channels, or just theorycrafting like me? Because I seem to recall a dev stating that you could "learn" every skill given enough time, all on one character, so the limiter would be time spent playing and how you combined the abilites/equiptment/tactics.

MagiK likes this.
  18. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

MagiK and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

+5 internets for linking Queen and Freddy Mercury :D

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  20. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Honestly I think I like the idea of mutually exclusive magic schools....it makes being a spell caster and making decisions have consequences....
    You want to be into death magic, fine but you forsake the ability to call on the forces of life...it just makes sense.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.