Open Letter to Mr. Garriott - the pay to play thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Helix, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Oh sure, but to avoid breaking forum rules you'll have to figure out who I'm talking about yourself. We're not allowed to call people out.

2. Helix

Helix Avatar

Dont be so hard in this disscusion. i think the constructive things in how can port get money without making the game too grindy should be interesting. how can we make things better ? Everyone can leave its position here and others can comment on that - but it is no battle... lets battle for the best ideas :)

3. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

It's illegal to quote someone's claims in a forum? There's nothing wrong if you quote me the people who are making claims that they want to destroy the economy in this thread. I mean, at most I'd disagree with that poster's motives. :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Mykll likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

I played UO for a short while, as I said before.

I don't like Diablo for a number of reasons.

As for what will and won't make this game successful, you really need to separate what you enjoy from that equation. We can both agree we want success, but obviously we don't agree on what that looks like. Success might just mean that some people are not happy with it but a larger number of people are. You can't please everyone all of the time.

5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That's why I mentioned the time gate that is very prevalent in P2W. In most standard P2W products, sure you could acquire what you need to win the tournament with in game currency if you had the time, but the contest is today and unless you pay $x now you'll be behind the curve. I don't think Port is there yet, but they are flirting with the idea, as the Trophy Room contest shows. As you said, time = money, if so, what happens if the devs artifically limit the time available?

Mykll likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

All your questions are showing me is that as long as there's an add-on store, some people will create their own narrative to support their dislike for it.

There's no rule requirement in these contests that says you can only win if you have add-on store items. And judging by the 1st through 3rd place winners, that had zero impact on who won. But sure, we can play what if games all day and create conspiracies for the sake of supporting the narrative that add-ons are always bad and always lead to p2w. I got it.

Elwyn, fonsvitae and Onyx like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Try it and see.

Btw, emotes are on sale in the add-0n store all weekend!
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085#tab-emotes
    [​IMG]

I don't believe any of those are craftable though. P2W?

fonsvitae likes this.
  8. Helix

Helix Avatar

You are right with that. This is my hint, for in my opinion, a better game.

And this point of view is a result of playing all the ultimas and uo and how i connect this with the actual sota development.
    How would the old games would look like if you would give them a grind update ?

Mr. Garriott will make sota a new milestone in his development history, i am sure about that ;)

The development has lots of factors.. this is only one - that is important to me. Thats all.

9. mass

mass Avatar

If you're a hardcore roleplayer challenged to a staring contest and realize....you don't have /stare!!!! :p

10. Drocis the Devious

Well, here's the thing, Helix.

How would UO look if you added a single player mode, friends only mode, and a single player online mode? Would it still look like UO? I don't think it would.

If you added an MMO to Ultima 1 through 7, would they look the same?

We're on new ground here, this is the SPIRITUAL successor of those games, not the sequel.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

I greatly appreciate the humor. :)

And yeah, you could make that argument with the emotes and roleplaying (which is why the joke is funny).

12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Usually when one user provides feedback to Port, another user gets confused and thinks that the OP is really interested in debating the validity of their feedback. The debate ensues until the OP decides to give up and quit the game. I've see it happen innumerable times. What can you do? Some people need to have the last word of any debate. :(

Spoon, Vagabond Sam, Xandra7 and 4 others like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

after being bated into such conversations I have learned just to ignore the people who feel that they must have the last word. I will not feed the ego's anymore.

14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

That's usually the best thing to do. If I'm trying to provide serious feedback to the dev team, I'll only respond to the dev team. And when an ego shows the thread usually goes sideways so I ask that the thread be locked. :)

15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Locking thread while I review. FYI, this is the most locked threads this week than I've ever done in a single week before... sometimes it's best to step away from a conversation when it's getting heated, or please contact me :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.