Question about housing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kupursk, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

Hello.
    Quick question about housing, since I don't yet own one.

I saw a player selling something called: Citizen Benefactor Village Home.

Does this means he's selling one of those "rent free" houses that come with higher pledges?

Were I to buy this item, I would just need to place it in a village or do I need to buy the lot first?

Leelu likes this.
  2. Caree Death

Caree Death Avatar

No, it's just the house. You will also need a land deed as well. Once you get the land deed, say a village deed.. You can put Village sized houses or smaller on that lot.

Cordelayne, 2112Starman and Leelu like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Great question!

When you see the word "home" it means just the home and not the lot.

When you see the word "deed" as in Village Deed, that's where you place a "home".

So in this case you would be buying just the home and you'd have no where to place it. (no property deed)

Cordelayne and Leelu like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Kupursk No houses are not lot deeds. You have to have a 'deed' to place a house. There are two types of deeds taxed and tax free. Tax free are expensive and can be gotten through higher end bundle purchase or from other players. Check deco vendors above the bank for raffle tickets to try to win a deed too. They cost minimum 5k in game gold tho so beware of the cost. If you would like a free temporary place to stay friend me anytime and I can set you up while you try to save for your own place. It would be my pleasure. I am Majoria in the game.

Leelu likes this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Remember when there were house deeds and lot deeds? That was confusing as hell. At least now, they don't call houses deeds anymore.

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

The rental system is also coming soon - expect player-run adventurer's inns to pop up all over the place once that happens.

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Lot deeds:
    Founder - place anywhere and on water lots as well*, no taxes
    Tax Free - place anywhere, no taxes
    Regular taxable - place anywhere, taxed 500 per day for row lot
    POT only - place in a player owned town only. both taxed and tax free, and I think there are POT water lot deeds too

Lot deed type shows maximum lot size that can be claimed, rent is determined by actual claimed lot size
    Houses can be placed on their lot size or larger (row house can be placed on any lot), and some houses are water lot only
    *water lots outside of POTs can only be claimed by Founder deeds

Really? Thank goodness.

Pebbles and 2112Starman like this.
  8. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

Hi Marjoria, which bank do you mean for this raffle? And is it a vendor player or regular NPC?

I wasn't actually looking to buy a house right away, it was just something I stumbled upon while browsing vendors, and was curious about. I've been traveling around the map trying to explore as much as I can in my low level! Heheh... I'll add you in game anyway, by the way!

So for a house I would need to buy a lot (I think the minimum is 130k for a row lot), and then buy a house? Or does the lot come with a standard house?

9. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

By the way... what's a good way to make money as a beginner?

All these prices seem rather steep compared to what I managed to amass so far. But I've only been adventuring mostly, and collecting loot.
    I'm guessing there must be a way to make considerable more income, to keep up with those prices. Especially since there's a daily rent.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

TBH, selling loot an crafted items to other players in the main method. Some npc vendors will pay ok for things.

There is also the RMT option, but I can't support or recommend that.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I live by Owlshead in Hidden Vale so I was talking about that bank. Also if you come to Wizards Rest I can put a deco vendor down to buy raffle tickets anytime as well. I am going in the game now ;)

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Upstairs in the bank of many major cities at the "housing deed vendor". Specifically Owl's Head and Central Brittany, but a few others (maybe not Ardoris because they're a little different there). So far every month they've had a raffle for lot deeds, now it's down to only 10 of each type (place anywhere vs player owned town only).

But really, the best way to get housing as a beginner is to find someone willing to share space with you. Also, at some point soon the game will support renting out parts of a house (like individual rooms or something).

Learn what other players will pay money for. Beetles from cotton can sell for 400 each. Also learn what few things are useless except for selling to an NPC, the other bugs from cotton and trees sell for 160 each to NPCs.

13. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

Without having a vendor of my own, would you say it's best to sell stuff in the public vendors? Or roam around searching for player vendors that want to buy things?

Also, what's RMT?

Hey there.
    What are beetles from cotton and trees? Some sort of rare drop from gathering? Never heard of that until now.

14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

To get rid of what I consider the elephant in the room up front, RMT means Real Money Transaction. Gold selling is permitted by this game. I leave the ethics of that for the countess threads already exhausted on the topic. The only thing you should know is that you will not be banned for buying gold, selling has some minor restrictions, and the developers seem to believe that COTO's are somehow a method to control gold selling since they concede they cannot stop it, only pretend to. Make your own judgement. Just let me say that this game has much to offer that makes it worth playing, not everything is a utopia.

As to vendors. Two clear advantages a lot owning pledge holder has is nearly infinite storage space and for some who pledged higher, tax free vendors. That said, you can acquire all of the above with in game gold from those players and the lottery. I think when the game launches, most of that will have changed hands so many times it won't seem like a P2W thing. I at lease believe it was not intended as P2W.

As to Prices, SOTA just released a public API which will demystify prices a good bit as websites start publishing the data. However, it was always the intent to make the economy both regional and player driven. I made a very nice living in the past selling furniture at 50% lower than everyone else (I charged based on a mark up from raw materials). So I believe anyone can do OK undercutting just the local vendors where they are. But initially, you are stuck with the public vendors. Your goal should be to own your own property and vendor if you want gold to be a non issue for you.

Hope that helps!

I also suggest joining a guild, so you can get some inside advice and online friends. If someone posts on here how to make money easy, it will be nerfed next week or just over scavenged.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Real Money Transaction

*EDIT* Dangit @Tahru you beat me to the punch homie! ;)

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Selling the rusty weapons gathered from random encounters (bandits, skeletons) at the Soltown blacksmith (she gives very good prices for these) is one way. Just remember that some random encounters are higher level and it is best to leave these scenes right away if you do happen to end up in one.

The quests at Solace Outskirts also give gold. Visiting the Oracle daily and talking to the NPC/POT/PRT town criers also nets you gold.

17. Crandall

Crandall Avatar

Okay, this is a big issue, and it may get a lot of flak.
    The public vendors charge a commission fee on your sale, and if you forget to check, the item may just go away and you only get the NPC price, thus losing twice.
    However:
    You do not need a vendor of your own. Many guilds have vendors and they provide access to the guild vendors at no charge. Some even have vendors in different locations then their home town, thus offering you the same opportunity to sell.
    Chat with people, find out which guilds have which reputation. Some are active in PVP only, others are craftsmen. Others are loosely organized, and others have specific rules to go by.
    I hope you enjoy the game.
    Yes, I am in a guild - no, I am not trying to recruit just for my guild, thus at this time, you may not ask which one.

Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Once the room rental system is in, I hope it will help level the playing field more.

I am reluctant to just give kindred access to anyone I don't know well as they could walk off with everything not nailed down. But the new system should help a lot.

Numa and Nikko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.