Are We Happy Yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrWIz, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Are you happy with this game?

1. I am happy with this game almost all of the time.

2. I am happy with this game most of the time.

3. I am happy with this game some of the time.

4. I am seldom happy with this game.

5. I am never happy with this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

[​IMG]

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

nowadays everything is about ratio and people are bland :p

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This is a feeling any get when faced with any population which came before they got here. There is a cap though, but it's a soft cap.
    PvP and it's following will always be dissatisfied "in all games" which feature more skilled players in the same place as those of less skill.

SOTA is the same as a character which has restricted itself by limiting their skill sets. SOTA has done so through being "player funded", yet is the 2nd largest player funded game in history. The PvP and all other aspects within our game have been therefore restricted, yet to be programmed into our game, yet on it's drawing boards to do so as funding and development time comes available through a small staff. :rolleyes: That's the most avoided fact within all critics posts that I have seen.

:eek: "The Second Largest Crowd Funded Game in History" :confused:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: That's a fact which is always missing in all these types of discussions ;)~Time Lord~

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Solazur and Stahlknecht like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well for example, I always had hope the story line would come around, you have been railing on it for a long long time. I always said that they had a long time to fix it, to give them time and have patients. I also said that if it does not, I would be right there with you complaining. But that was a year and a half ago and well, at this point, you were right and from what I see.... red flags.

The team itself is starting to look more like Silicon Valley then Microsoft in the early days.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They first showed the 3D overland map, making it look like this is how we would travel. There was no word that this would change. They just implemented the paper map without telling us - after showing us a lush 3D overland map. I don' think that this was ok and yes, I fought for getting what was shown during the Kickstarter, as I am still fighting for getting what was said during the Kickstarter.

What 1%? Just because I gave "only" 220 Dollars means that I sould accept everything? Every change? I won't.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think the change came to be because there were many people complaining. I remember that during that time there was next to no other topic being discussed so much but the overland map. I believe that the majority of players wanted to have the 3D map.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I believe differently... I believe that the majority of Backers had no opinion on the matter because they didn't know or care it was an 'issue' because they didn't participate in the forums. I also wouldn't go so far as to say that it was the only topic being discussed... but it did certainly dominate the conversation.

Are you denying your leadership role in the fight to get it changed?
    Do you also recall that many on the Development Team (Including Starr and Richard) had a stated preference for the Paper Map?
    So, the battle you led, as a 'low level' backer succeeded in persuading the Development Team to reverse course, and completely re-engineer a major aspect of the game despite their own stated preferences.
    Do you also recall the hue and cry of those that complained most vociferously about the 'waste' (in their opinion) of backer money and the effect it would have on the development timeline?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

One of the biggest issues this community has is the "dont lawyer me bro" syndrome. Way to much "they said this and they said that 4 years ago". Things change for millions of reasons and they tried their best with the money they had and team they had and they gave it their best shot. Some people like the game, some dont. I think I was lucky that I started a year and a half ago and what I bought into is just about what I expected (minus half a million "we will open a jira for that" which never materialized over time and people still latching on to the oens they like and complaining that they never came about).

People need to get over the sour grapes on specific things in the game and just play it or not.

Considering our mod is deleting most of my posts now, we'll see if this one sticks around.

Stundorn, Solazur, Jens_T and 7 others like this.
  9. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Question, why does it matter how much he spent on the game?

10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Do it's @Darkmoon's fault that it's taking so long!? Thanks a lot, man. hehe

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Here's what I have to say about "trying your best" ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:D~TL~

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

As we all know, there is no need for a computer in RPG games at all, which is why paper games were able to predate them. And even before that, the ancient Greeks and others had the theatre, where actors performed in an "orchestra", which doesn't have to be a fleshed out world at all. Due to our suspension of disbelief, a good story and actors (usually in costume, but not necessarily) can create an imaginary world out of nothingness.

I'm not a role player and was the kid who loved reading D&D game books but hated actually playing the game, so I watched fantasy films instead. So when I saw my first computer RPG (Eamon, a text-only game) I was blown away. After that, I saw Ultima, with Garriott's first-person graphics, and couldn't believe it was real. For the first time, I could go into those fantasy worlds without doing any acting, make-believe, or much imagination, just exploring the mysteries of that virtual world. Just because I don't like to act doesn't mean that I don't appreciate actors or their art. The role-players provide a great background for the game just like people in real life in their sociological "roles". I like to go to Renaissance Festivals to see the actors (and even cosplayers), for instance, but I don't want to wear a costume or speak in early English. Such faires don't exclude people like me, and even computer RPGs are accommodating (the "tourist" in Nethack) and the separation of role-playing servers in many MMORPGs for those people that want such a play style enforced. If you haven't guessed, I am a solo player, and even when I play with a friend, we often just go our separate ways and meet back together later.

But this is a computer RPG and the bar is set higher than those paper games, since the computer is both the game master and the sensory experience (audiovisuals, physics). By definition, true role-players don't need much of a stage, they mainly need freedom, other people, and many ways to express themselves. But I don't need as many people, but a world complex enough to hold my interest and people that change the world do help to add to that. Simulation and procedural generation, multiple interacting elements combined with some randomness can provide that complexity, which was the logical next step that I assumed RG would take after UO since he transitioned to newer technologies such as the 3D game engine.

I've studied both theatre (from a director's viewpoint) and programming and have always believed that Garriott is as much of a programmer as a role-player at heart and that he would design a game that would please both kinds of people. So obviously, if the game gives them freedom (which is programmatically easier and why 2-player Pong was able to predate many single-player games that required AI), the role-players will come in first and enjoy the game, since the world framework (stage) is beautiful. They help to add detail to that world, but now comes the hard part--programming the world behind the facade, which I was hoping he would get to in Episode 1, but now I am not so sure. If this is accomplished, the game will pull in more people like me, and you know what will happen? The world will convince me to shape my own behavior and turn me into a member of that world (as does our real environment) alongside the role-players. Role-players shape themselves (as @Time Lord alluded), but it takes a more complex and challenging world to shape people like me.

I also want to add that the role-play that some of the players seem to enjoy isn't purely acting but also a little bit of "directing", like puppeteering (controlling their avatar in 3rd person in front of them). I play another game, besides SoTA, where I can't even see my own avatar. There is no 3rd person view even allowed. So SoTA was indeed designed to allow many different modes of play, but its just too weak in the world engine for me to fully enjoy.

There may be some genius behind the open-development model that I didn't consider--the fact that the role-players have added so much to the world before the game is even finished. My main criticism of the game is that I don't want the dev team to forget to add a more dynamic, sandbox world engine to pull players like me into this world.

14. jason silverain

jason silverain Avatar

I'm happy to know the game is coming along very well
    I'm happy to know my friends in Grumridge,Crossroad and Dragmoir
    Enjoying my time, out running late nights with Dr. Wiz and Fionwyn Wyldermane and Rob
    I'm happy to hear others in Discord talk positive about the game

My outlook in life is : Find the good, even if its a small amount in a person and hold on to it, and you will never be mad or upset.

-----------------------
    Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
    ~ Marcus Aurelius

Paladin Michael, Spinok and Time Lord like this.
  15. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

this will be my song when i win that lottery and buy out this game and fix it!!!! So we all are happy!

17. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

This is how I feel exactly. I wish they would somehow merge Black Desert Online with it's amazing combat, node system and other aspects with Sota. Sota to me is just a social dress up and hang out game that does not appeal to me.

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I wish they would bring back the capes from this video.

19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Stay on topic everyone, I've already had to warn several and remove posts. I would suggest polls like this go without commentary. If further disruptions occur, forum accounts will be locked.

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

The two main things about SotA that make me happy are:

1. The game provides ample opportunities for me to express my creativity, e.g. writing stories, plays, designing quests, starting and growing a business empire, making tiny movies:

2. The community is awesome.

3devious, Stundorn, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.