Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Change the Font

Discussion in 'Release 45 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The font appears to have changed to one that appears to have come from a typewriter. The previous one was "okay".. this one is a little too blocky for a role playing/fantasy game for me. I suggest the font to look a little more consistent with the game we're playing. I like the one used for trades when the avatar signs his/her name. I know cursive may be a little hard to read but something similar to that would be a lot more immersive.

Perhaps we could have a few fonts we could choose from?

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for the feedback! We've gotten similar reports on QA as well. While we will not be returning to the previous font, we are internally reviewing changes and tweaks we can make for the font to be more legible and enjoyable. :)

3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

My guildmembers (Havoc) have mostly verbalized their distaste for the font. I don't mind it, but perhaps it could be less bold. Otherwise I find it much more readable than before.

Echondas likes this.
  4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I like the size and clearness of the font, even don't mind it being emboldened. But it is a little ugly perhaps. My first impressions were reasonably positive, in terms of legibility.

Is the NPC interaction panel faded into the background intentionally or can I adjust that? I would prefer a bold box and more visible scroll bar around it, it's not something that needs to be hidden. But that's just my taste.

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I dont mind the new font, except that some of the font colors seem to fade into the background more than the old one used to. Light and dark grey are especially bad, with the light grey being almost impossible to distinguish. Since the font is so much more bold, perhaps having a crisper outline for the font that retains color would make it better.

6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Tempting!

8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

@Attenwood , a bold, serif font would be perfect. San-serif (plain, modern looking fonts) are not very fantasy-like at all. They are also known to be less legible to the eye when reading paragraphs.

Therefor, may we have a bolder serif font that fits better in our world AND is more legible? Perhaps something simple like Times New Roman, even?

Rennik and By Tor like this.
  9. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

A choice of fonts would be awesome :)

10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like the new font, but choices would be good.

By Tor likes this.
  11. Qwark

Qwark Avatar

I have old eyes and both this font and the one in the recipe book are very hard for me to read. Thanks for the opportunity to express an opinion!

zyxe, JohnL, Paladin Michael and 6 others like this.
  12. Mac G

Mac G Avatar

We should get the guild that likes the new font to go to war with the guild that doesn't like it. Winner gets to choose the new font!

Alleine Dragonfyre and By Tor like this.
  13. Mac G

Mac G Avatar

We can all tell our grandchildren that we fought in The Great Font War!

14. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

The fatter, easier to read fonts of the past were better. If keeping this font is so important for the designers, can it at least be made more fat and legible?

The OP is a cook and I am sure he can supply the necessary meals at a fair cost.

Seriously, the font is difficult to read and not easy on the eyes at all.

zyxe and JohnL like this.
  15. JohnL

JohnL Avatar

I too have less than perfect eyesight and find this font to be a retrograde step. How about Gill Sans? That's got to be easier to read!

OK, perhaps not the most immersive, but how immersive is having to squint at the screen all the time?

By Tor likes this.
  16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

The new font is rather terrible. The old font was great.

By Tor and zyxe like this.
  17. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

My eyesight is great for reading, and I find the font to be too squished together with the tall letters like "i" and "l", making actually more difficult to read. I also agree that it doesn't match the game, but even more glaringly (to me, anyway) is that we have too many fonts on the screen: map/compass, player name (probably the same font but it looks like the individual letters are spaced out better, which I actually prefer--maybe that's an option with the new font?), and then the tasks (again same font look but different spacing gives it too different of a feel).

I'm also finding the sizing of the font on the pop-up info boxes (glyphs and such) to be way too small and when it's so small it ends up looking blurry, not sharp.

By Tor and fonsvitae like this.
  18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

656 is an improvement. you guys fixed the problem with launching with correct resolution and the font's fuzziness has cleared up significantly; maybe the two were related? nonetheless, the new font is STILL less readable than the old one. i realize the old one can't return, but please try a different new one.

By Tor likes this.
  19. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I like the font.... I don't see anything wrong with it. I guess the best thing to do would be to allow us to set our own font in options, since you can't please everyone .... But allowing everyone to choose their font will ....

By Tor likes this.
  20. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

What's the font the forums use? I feel like something similar to this would work in the game.

It looks similar to UO's font as well.

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.