Families: A graceful solution to multiple characters

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Andrew Vawter, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

The current plan for Shroud of the Avatar seems to resolve around two issues that this idea will solve.
    1. Unique Character Names
    2. One Character Per Account

Unique character names are something the jury is still out on. By introducing a family name that would be account wide you can avoid this issue nearly all together. A character could be made a friend simply by using the first name and family name. Family names MUST be unique. However, the option is given to all players to "hide my family name". This allows the game to have 30 people named "John" but still allow you to friend the correct "John".

Okay now the big one. One Character per account is a bit silly. My best friend and I shared a UO account for nearly 6 years before we each owned our own copies. However, the idea that what you do on one character should of consequences for ALL of them is a great idea. The solution to this is having your character in a family.

Throughout history families have loathed and hated each other. Some have even warred with each other. The game can reflect this reality. If I kill you on my Player Killer and later you're wandering around and I'm on my crafter you'll have a VALID reason to attack me because your family and my family are in a "feud" state. This feud state will not allow ME to attack you in a traditionally non-pvp area but will allow YOU to attack me in a non-pvp area. The disadvantage will ALWAYS fall on the person who last attacked.

Another advantage of a family system is that you can link multiple accounts together. For example my wife and I will have separate accounts but by putting them both in the same family we could easily share items between us without a need for a house. Merely put it in the family owned item storage at the bank and retrieve it on your other account. The disadvantage is that if my wife has been PK'ing people I'll also suffer the consequences of her actions.

Families would be different from guilds in that if a family member is being attacked you would always have just cause to intervene. They would also receive highest priority to share a map with you. Titles earned by your family could be shared as well. Hence if you have the lord title on your account your family members would also receive the lord title.

A lot can be added to this system as well in the future such as: Renown/Infamy, Quests for Titles, Achievements/feats of strength, etc.

2. TheJefu

TheJefu Avatar

Everything you just wrote is dripping with win.

Devs, take a read!

3. Khumash-Gor

Khumash-Gor Avatar

This seems like it would give advantages to "families" over singular players. I do not like this idea. I support one character accounts.

I think we have to remember, Portalarium are not looking to create a traditional MMO here, they are going in a different direction.

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

Too easily abused.

5. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

You can always strip the multiple account features out of the family system and leave the multiple characters, account wide titles, and account wide punishments.

Traditionally, you are responsible for your families actions. Both the dishonorable and honorable ones. Families have advantages in real life over a single individual. In that they can accomplish more together than they can alone.

Also what can be easily abused? If you're about to kill a family member the odds that I attack you are greatly increased. Just as if you have killed a family member in the past the chances that I seek revenge are also increased.

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think there is some great ideas here, but I think it would be easily exploited.

I think for your Family name instead just have a login name (not username) for easy finding, but allow duplicate names. Unique naming is kinda dumb and break immersion, but if you could look up the owner of an account some way that would help finding your friends.

As for the one character per account, could we not just create multiple accounts? I used to multi-box on NWN all the time, and this was not restrictive. However, I guess this depends on what LB imagines for accounts. I am also ok with the idea of paying for multiple character slots. I think the main problem is storing all the information on multiple characters long term. Paying would resolve that; however, if this is really no-monthly fee for normal play not sure how they will restrict people just making multiple accounts.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

I originally though about using a Unique ID (UID) as well. In the end I decided it might be nice to be able to show your family name. You could also limit families to a maximum size / maximum number of linked accounts. I figure most people would be happy with a maximum linking around 2 to 5 characters (or accounts). I'd make families "smallish" in order to reduce the abuse.

The formula would be simple Maximum family size = 3 & Maximum Accounts linked = 3 so you would potential of 9 characters controlled by 3 people with a maximum of 3 characters logged into the game world at any time. All characters created join "the family".

Obviously you could also just make it so you can't link accounts. I do however think its important that every character you create joins "the family".

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Whether its a family name or account name, that works about the same way in a basic sense of finding people. However, I don't really like the idea of one account sharing multiple characters with item sharing and all. I can think of too many ways things like this can be exploited. NWN had a lot of examples of stuff like this and maybe it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I say just allow multiple accounts. If I want 3 characters, I can just create 3 accounts. This would allow them all to be played at the same time without complications on the Portalaruim side, and if you want to share items you can do that through a house or in-game. This way things are working with the game mechanics.

Something like family name would work as a good social tool and could be used for RP, but for linking accounts I think it works against how the game is being designed (well based off what we know anyway).

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

The point of a family name isn't to let you play with multiple characters simultaneously. It's to let you have multiple characters on an account with shared consequences of your actions.

The shared storage exists as a simple way to move items between characters. Without needing to use a mailbox, house, or other method of moving an item.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the family name thing to link multiple accounts.

11. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

I think that this is an EXCELLENT idea, and I really hope that something like this is implemented in one form or another, although honestly, I really doubt that they'll incorporate anything like this unfortunately... :(

12. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I do not like the idea that I'd have to multi box/account as some people's response to this idea appears to be. I don't mind if my wife's account is linked to my family though.

I can totally understand and see where @Andrew is heading with this vision of families and being able to interact in a setting that isn't exactly a PvP enabled PoI.

Great conversation and intriguing idea!

13. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

With the introduction of last names I'd like to say we should be able to link multiple accounts to one last name. I'd also like the ability to at least toggle it on and off. I think linking them as I posted in the original post would greatly enhance gameplay between people playing with friends and family.

14. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

One of the things I want most is that my wife and I could play together and share the kickstarter rewards and this could be a way to do this so I'm all for it.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not really sure how I would feel about this really. RG seems pretty set on wanting players to only need one character.. though honestly I think most will want two. I don't like the idea of my characters having to be in the same family if they were on the same account.

Implimentation has it's own challenges. The same last name on multiple accounts? That sounds like its asking for complications. If last names are meant to be unique.. then what happens if you want to 'unlink' those accounts? Would you have to delete your character to free up the last name? Would you be forced to change the last name? Which account will be forced to switch? I guess you can go it if the accounts have a parent-child relationship with the parent taking priority.

I suppose I'm simply skeptical. I don't think I care for the PvP implications either. If dad is a PKer.. uncle is at risk? That might be fine for a single actual player but that's kinda like meta-gaming isn't it? And what if a real family is sharing these characters as would certainly happen? The son is not responsible for the sins of the father.. as it were.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Avatar

It would be nice to include my wife's character in my family, but I am much in favour of the one-character model.

I think you should be able to delete your character and start fresh. But in doing so you would lose everything. Aye lads, that's what I said: Everything.

Thus, a new beginning, a second character -- but at the cost of the first!

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

If this is at least in part an MMO experience, I support more than one character per account simply because it opens up role-playing opportunities. Limiting the number of characters limits your ability to contribute interesting characters to the world.

The best way for that not to be abused, in my opinion anyway, with item sharing and so on, is simply to have some restraint of realism: make it hard to be super wealthy, make it hard to be super skilled, make it hard to get super powered weapons, make it hard to use magic. Other types of realism can also constrain this as well, including needing basic things to get around like eating. I put a mention of this in my suggestions in the wish list thread. With proper game balance, I shouldn't have a spare vorpal sword lying around my house that I can just hand over to a relative.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.