Targetting?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Pickwins, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

@Chris work your magic on this! Stop with the evil Chris beard thing and help us out here. Fix this and you'll earn 10 times the reduction in ragequits that I promised @DarkStarr for visiting Amber.

Moiseyev Trueden and Stundorn like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Targeting for healing there are 3 methods to get your target for healing selected;
    1 Right click on them in the game
    2 Right click on their health bar in the upper left
    3 hit the F key like I said earlier - F1 is you 2 is #2, 3 - #3 - - - -

Now once you have your Healing target selected there is a Light Blue Reticle that appear next to their name on their health bar ALSO if oyu have names up on the screen you will see a light blue box appear around their health bar in the game. These reticles are different from active target.

Take a peak at video I use each method to change different targets to heal while maintaining the fight on the Phoenix.

Again this is not a perfect system , s if you are in a fight like the Shock Monkies or Torc'Dawl there is ALOT more movement and a lot of time the target gets out of range or confused and the game heals something you did not have LB Reticle on. During those time the game choses next viable :-(

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

At least when on healing, click the person's name-plate on the upper-right I want to heal and use the spell. When I want to heal myself, I just hold "alt" for that cast.

My healing range is high enough that I can reasonably use healing touch from a surprisingly decent distance, which is a double-edged sword. That said, I have touch, ray, the AoE one, and the only-works-on-others (Which is awesome, if a bit slow) one all in my healing deck Great for others, for me I have to remember to hit Alt to make sure I get my own heals.

Outside of healing, I use tab for targeting baddies. That said, sometimes the tab-targeting does not follow the law of least astonishment.

4. RoStudios

RoStudios Avatar

Yeah, I use my F2-F8 keys. I have asked if we could possibly have numbers next to the characters, because I also forget who is which number on the F keys. lol.

majoria70 and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I like targeting how it is. It is like dodge-ball, and you can visualize all magic to be like this.. if a player gets in the way of your target, that player receives the spell effect... simple fix is to move more, don't be stationary.. make sure you can see your target with no other viable receiver in LOS.

It is different, sure, than other games.. but this is what makes it good. I think most of us higher levels are used to how this works, and things are fine with those who are aware how the magic works..

Magic is like a ball... throw it and hope it hits your target.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry but that is totally off base - I have the skill to hit my target as long as I keep it in range and LOS . . .

And this is exactly why you are wrong there is no HOPE when you train a skill you become proficient and accurate - this goes for combat also and is the exact reason targeting is FLAWED.

Moiseyev Trueden and 3devious like this.
  8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

In some games, sure, magic works like an invisible force hitting things through other viable targets. Tell me, should archery also be targeted how you describe? Does an archer has the skill to bypass a physical block in front of his target? Would you prefer this as well? OR would you be in favor of ONLY affecting targeting for magic?
    My guess is, yes, you'd like this targeting change for archery AND melee? I think the system makes sense, if we are to assume magic is a physical force.. if it is supposed to be a ghostly energy that goes through viable targets to hit your other target, don't you think they'd have already made it this way?

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

When playing a healer I constantly move around. So targeting to me doesn't mean staying in one spot. Also I find healing can be a fun and rewarding thing to and Also finding out what skills, potions, and tricks work to keep you alive and healing. Like jumping when the troll stomps. I always found the challenge to be the most interesting part in doing group boss fights in WOW.

Now if there was no way to strategize the whole player verses the boss to survive and achieve that is a balancing act, or to also keep it interesting to keep trying to figure it out, but also the bosses have random effects and moves they do to keep you on your toes that would not be awesome.

I need healing choices I make to allow me to heal enough to protect others but still make it up to me to learn what works best in certain conditions.

Taking all of the challenge and strategies out of playing our characters is one thing that will make this game less interesting.

I wonder is targeting one of those choices and challenges? Where is the line drawn between challenge, game flaw and balance. The game does not have to take it all away. It should provide challenges for us to work through with our weapon choices, enchants, armor choices etc but still be designed to keep the balancing coming also.

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yes, an archer can arc over a target in front of him and still hit something behind, or shoot just to the side of the physical block and hit his target. With the games large targeting box and shot interrupts, it is too easy to intercept or be intercepted even when you are one of the most skilled in the world (GM and above).

Fister Magee and Weins201 like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The line is crossed when I have selected a target, and have a good strong skill (>50) and the target stays both on range and LOS = should NOT miss.

That is the SINGLE fundamental flaw of targeting - for healing and fighting.

BTW has been the same issue that was brought up Ages ago when all this started - players should be able to hit what they chose if it stays in range and LOS, this has never been fixed, and I am seeing why since "someone" has asked for it.

As I see it everything else with targeting is working well.

Tiina Onir and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Pickwins

Pickwins Avatar

<sad + sarcastic>Without any doubt, this puts a lot skill in the healing process in general.</sad + sarcastic>

Just to be sure:
    When playing an archer, has he the same procedure of targetting?
    (especially: will any other target inbetween eat the damage like the heals get eaten?)

3devious likes this.
  13. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

Yes the target system is very poor, but I never need to face a player to cast on them. My avatar typically turns to cast or it blasts out my back for some reason.

The F commands are VERY helpful when targeting bugs out. But typically I click on nameplates to heal.

I've yet to see a heal get "eaten" by a player in the way unless the original target was out of range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.