Acquiring Gold - How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelzie, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I don't bother putting anything up on a vendor, unless I first craft it as exceptional and then also get a positive return or two on master working and enchanting an item. It doesn't make any sense to sell basic daggers or longswords or other equipment that isn't the best. I just scrap the ones that are "failures" and move on.

2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm not saying never use magic. But if you're on a gold run, it's good to keep your overhead in check. More gold in vs out, basically. I can solo Greymark using only buffs, food and non-reagent heals using bow skills alone and I have just one GM in bow and that's it.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi @Nelzie. I know it can be difficult to amass a reasonable amount of gold in game. Many tricks we had in the past got nerfed. Like selling bark bread to vendors. Well and we don't even find as much bark or anything anymore. So much nerfing. Everything gets nerfed. Hopefully you are getting your 500 gold from the Oracle every day too.

Have you tried growing things to sell as well? Ive heard some say they are selling grown foods to vendors even tho not a lot of cash, I was told it helps. ;) You get water free even though it's a slow process. Also some things sell better than others. (If you need a place to plant I can help.). ;)

For myself what I see selling best is things like chests, trunks, and lights sell best for me. Some songs I sell also sell better than others, although songs I prefer to give away to share our fantastic music system.

Some foods might sell good since eating is a little more necessary now imo. I always eat and buff at shrines before going out adventuring.

Just curious Are you paying rent on a taxed lot or do you have tax-free? I hope they give us some more depth to eating one day that will make it even more useful to eat.
    We are missing some dynamics to make eating as viable as it could be. It is better but not yet there.

All I can say is try selling different things. It may depend on your location and also if you're selling on a vendor commission free or not could help.

We are also missing population atm and ability to make our vendors unique with selling little sets of things as we did in UO. Like pack/sets of colored armor or full sets of armor, sets of clothing in specific colors including shoes, gloves, hat, pants, shirt or dresses, skirts etc. Ability of Selling little bags of goodies has been requested many times but the tech hasn't been made to work yet and isn't working. I'm hoping for more as we head to release. Adventuring with friends I seem to make at least 2k each time if I sell stuff that is.

Also I'm Majoria in game I'd be happy to help however I can. I won't say I am wealthy and live adventuring trip to adventuring trip too, but if I focused I could have more gold built up I'm sure.

Sorry to go on and on with suggestions perhaps I will blame it on no coffee yet and edit later ;). But anyway I'm hoping we get more creative ways and more and more tools as we go forward to allow us to find uniqueness. It is fun to try right now but we can't customize our goods in ways that make them unique enough yet also everyone makes the same sh*t. Oops stuff ;). I'd like to see this improved in some way that help our chances to sell things that are more unique items. Like did you see the polka Dot vendor selling polka dot itens? Well we don't have one but as an example ;) ok enough rambling ;) *cheers*

edit and I won't buy gold with real cash either alto occasionally I do sell some deco or maybe later I'll sell a pledge item or so. This is a bit hypocritical perhaps but se la vie (such is life) ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Chatele, Nelzie and Bankee like this.
  4. golruul

golruul Avatar

I don't explicitly tailor my gameplay to gold grinding, so welfare is probably my primary source of gold.

After that, selling the ore that I mine gives me a lot, but I frequently want to keep the ore for crafting.

If you have some cash to spare, you can buy a bunch of new accounts when they're on sale and just log in for welfare. 10 accounts = 5k gold a day. With the loading time improvements this isn't such a bad option. Later on you can probably sell those accounts for more than what you've paid for it with all the xp accumulated.

blacksheepboy likes this.
  5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Use the spells that don't require reagents, wait until you're in a party with a GM in a skill which requires reagents to level it up at minimal cost (also, maintain a big XP pool in order to be ready to take advantage of such opportunities).

6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Heh... if the cost to make dyes in material weren't out there, (ie. cost of recipe, rareness of some ingredients), I would be putting together full sets of armor and other clothing that can be dyed out onto vendors right now, even if they would only be "good" for Role-Playing, not full on adventuring.

I have a tax free, Golden Row Home. The greenhouse element on the roof is quite nice, I haven't given growing things much of a serious look, yet. Maybe in the near future, I should look into that.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Buying gold with real money is the easiest way, and I'd suggest that. I know a good POC if you're interested, just hit me up in a private message. They do all their sales on the forums.

I'd bought many, many thousands of gold over the last year or so.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

reduce your ttk (time to kill) and find a spot where you can quick kill those mobs that drop 10-20 gold.
    since they buffed mobs gold i'm making plus all the time - last year, low level mage, skilling air (maybe the most expensinve regarding reagencies)
    i had day's i couldnt play as a mage, because i just had no regs - that was the time when i recognized i need to work on a Reg free Deck and kill the Mobs with T1-2 skills like the fists and arrows, just to say there is no AoE what does cost no Regs.
    Also try to get Reg Cost reducing gear if you use Magic to kill Mobs or fight at all. Think over what skill you use very often, what does it cost and then try to reduce that or get even rid of that skill. It's all about cherrypicking (unfortunately).
    Idk if this is helpfull, the only time i needed more gold was when the halberds in Serpent Spine Foothills still drop, that was the time i had to pull one bandit or i would die. Later i did the aeqivalent in Twins Foothills (T5 instead of T4) and pull the whole group at the big camp to kite them down very easy. Now with fire its easy as hell i guess, haven't tried it, but with Meteors, CL, Icefield and Ice Arrow it was easy to kill them all one after another while kiting.

Nelzie likes this.
  9. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Thanks for the offer, but I've never done that in a game and I never will.

10. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

At the moment I require a lot of granite to build dtone blocks for my house. I make circle runs through Solace Bridge Outskirts and acquire a lot of Iron in the process. I save up till I have 1000 Iron, then head to Owls Head for a nice $45K or so. In that time I’d already gathered 5K or more in bandit garbage.

Some coffee, some Epic Rock Radio, it takes only 3-4 casual days.

Nelzie and Spoon like this.
  11. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

It's really easy and definitely helps! Up to you, but real money trade is one of the biggest draws of Shroud, in my humble opinion. ;)

Weins201 likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Considering that we have new copper and ore mines coming in next release, you might want to dump your ore now in case it drives the prices down by this weekend.

Also, if you have a vendor anywhere near a noob area, you might consider selling your sub part gear for a loss to them. It is still a loss for you, but not as big of one as scrapping, and I've heard new players complain they can't find any low level gear, so you'll be providing a service.

13. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I'm stockpiling in order to craft more things, especially when/if the new mines drastically cut into available materials by having sparser nodes with lessened respawn rates. I'd rather have a few thousand ore of various types stashed away to help me grind out crafting skills, especially with all the crafting XP that I bank by focusing almost entirely on mining without spending anything on those skills anymore, they're all in the mid-70's to 80 now.

14. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Then there is no easy way in a player run economy, nor should there be. If there was more gold drops then that just causes inflation and all the things you want to buy go up in price. You would still be relatively gold poor, just with a larger gold number in your inventory.

Player run economies work on the gold flowing around the system from player to player.

If you are not prepared to sell the things you collect and only hoard, you will always be gold poor and asset rich. Never the other way around.

I know i'm like you, a hoarder. But then i have accepted that means i will not have piles of gold.

Spung

Chatele likes this.
  15. Alleine Dragonfyre

Why bother playing the game to begin with then?

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

OK, you're going to be always hurting unless you do something to kick start your economic engine then. For instance, take the hit and sell 1000 iron or similar.

Never use that money for anything but materials buy orders. So put buy orders on your vendor for iron at five less than market value. Someone will eventually sell to you. Place that iron back on your vendor at market price. This should net you 5k gold.

Repeat that until you have enough that you can buy 2 loads of iron, put one back in your hoard, sell the other. Now you have investment capital.

17. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

It's an investment! When new players come for release it will be very beneficial to have a stockpile of gold.

18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming, I'll keep working up an economic plan that will work for me.

Cordelayne and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  19. Alleine Dragonfyre

I'm not sure I understand your point, however MMO players, generally, do not pay RL cash a whole lot to play. The ones that do are already here.

3devious and Cordelayne like this.
  20. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

How naive. Tons of people pay cold hard cash and that's why shroud embraces it. Even back to Ultima Online you had people buying virtual stuff for fat stacks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.