earlier today in SotA country...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fonsvitae, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Earlier today, @Korim Rackham started a thread curious about how forum life seems to be dead or dying. A few persons responded w/ their reasons as to why this is the state of things, a few of those pointing at the current moderation as among their reasons.

The entire thread was ninja deleted by Berek within a few posts; no notifications were given to those who posted in this thread that their input had been summarily denied.

Think about it: opening up a topic which may (emphasis on may, as in not necessarily) cast SotA in not the best light is a shoe-in candidate for not just locking (where at least persons can revisit and read the input of others) but outright deletion; these are your thoughts and deliberations: summarily denied.

Right, wrong, truth or lie? Only the light an argument casts is measured, not its merits; and it is on these grounds that power is given over and against ones considerations: does this scenario deserve your contribution and human energy?

SotA is self interested in the above regard and this self interest does not include respect for plurality of opinions. If you feel your opinion matters for its own sake and not for how it weighs in contrast to whatever light SotA wishes to be appreciated by, maybe it's time that the respect and/ or passes we have given to a Portalarium owned forum ceases; maybe it is time to consider something independent, or at least independent enough of the above.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Was the same with my feedback

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/you-lost-me-feedback.104935/

After starting this thread an writing a PM to Berek it was there again.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-is-my-feedback-thread.104998/

Who is it who hides threads all the time?

Mykll likes this.
  3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

If the thread had anything to do with moderation or the current active community being only a fraction of what it could be due to it, then it was probably wasn't the community manager cuz he loves that kinda feedback.

4. Mototopo

Mototopo Avatar

I told them that attending the "Forum Content Moderation Training Course" held in North Korea was not a good idea .. but it was cheaper

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

That is freaking hilarious, well played sir! :D

Brink1123, Stundorn and Weins201 like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Oh and for anyone who cares since my post in that thread was moderated along with it, I quoted Nietzsche, "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Spoon, discipleofweb and Stundorn like this.
  7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

As someone who has twice been notified/moderated/had a reply deleted, I can say without equivocation that you guys are not being fair.

Many of these posts can be saved for posterity (WayBackMachine). So, if you think you are being treated unfairly, just use that.

A few other points:

First, Berek is one person trying to do a huge job. The guy is everywhere. All the time. I am not sucking up to him, it is a fact. You see him everywhere. Maybe this is your concern? He has a job to do. I have seen MANY constructive posts that were critical of the game. If something gets started and gets out of control who are we to say that Berek should do MORE work? For me, it's easy to see why deleting an entire post of off-topic, flaming, sarcastic, and unconstructive replies is easier than going through every singly reply. Asking that he do this (or anyone he supervises) is unfair and takes away from more important things (*gasp* blasphemy!).

Second, this is a private forum, owned by a corporation. Making comments about the North Korean regime is unfair, since this is not the U.S. or any other local or state government and your First Amendment concerns have no place here.

Third, there are other places to voice your concerns if you feel this place does not allow you the freedom of expression you deserve. Reddit is one. And speaking as a person who had an entire post last year dedicated to him (they used my name only as the title) on Reddit, let me tell you that they will moderate there as well (the post was subsequently deleted).

Fourth, which piggy-backs on the above, there are forum rules for a reason. If the they feel the rules have been violated (which includes tippy-toeing over the line to test how far the rules bend), then they have the right to moderate.

Now, I didn't read that post, but I can imagine that there were things said on there that derailed the thread or violated some of the rules.

Constructive criticism is welcome. I'll prove it.

Olthadir, Berek, Vodalian and 2 others like this.
  8. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Well some people throw a tantrum like a twelve year old so i don't exactly envy Berek's job :p

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Having been a MOD on the old MYUO (from start to finish, like 4 years), it isn't easy. As a past Reddit CEO said," The internet is being taken over by Trolls" :p

Moderation IS a needed thing unforutnetly, cause a lot of folks just can't control themselves. IMHO, based on my experience.

10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I keep telling you guys that it's me. Why don't you believe me?
    12 AND A HALF thank you.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It's not the moderation that's the problem. Moderation is an after action.

The lack of Dev's giving us definitive answers is the problem. Some very basic question go unanswered. Those basic questions have passionate stances that keeping being voiced over and over. Moderation has to clean up the mess.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

+1 to the draconian forum moderation. Even more so to the list of 5 things to follow which I have never seen in the inner-webs before. I pretty much just get chain deleted now-a-days if I dare to hurt the feelings of a certain privileged few.

If you want to get your opinion, you need to hit SOTA Reddit and then you need to navigate the extremists there.

(in before this delete)

Cordelayne, 3devious and bloodydragon like this.
  13. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I can confirm berek deleted the post because he felt it didnt add "Value" to the forums.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

uh oh... thankfully he doesn't delete people :p

Cordelayne and jammaplaya like this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Are you sure? We have had several members stop posting over the years.

jammaplaya and 3devious like this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Not sure no... I'm more sure about the fact I shouldn't be receiving special treatment...

I'm very... deletable... no problem recognizing my total uselessness in a medieval sims, I laugh at myself daily.

I know alot of people were banned in the previous administration.

I honestly see Berek as more erudite and mature... its portalarium that is completely cruel in letting him do 3 jobs at once... wanna bet that soon such overdriving of employees will be illegal ? :p

17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The thread was removed due to its disruption in the forums and the OP was contacted with a thorough explanation. It involved other threads that remain open. This is our standard policy when (rarely) we have to remove a post, we contact the OP so it's clear on the reason.

We (unfortunately for your questions on instances like this) do not discuss specific moderation actions in the forums to protect all involved (mainly the OP). If you have a concern about the specific thread or person, please ask us directly and we will do our best to answer.

Meanwhile, we will do our best to continue to be as transparent as possible, but at the end of the day we have to moderate where necessary to ensure the community isn't adversely disrupted. Most of you understand this need, but if you have questions on that too, please contact us.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.