Should Benefactors get an equal amount of digital rewards as founders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Macsen, Dec 17, 2013.

?

As a Founder, would you be upset if Benefactors got an equal amount of digital pledge rewards?

1. Yes

35.9%
  2. No

64.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ahh I see. :) I still think there is a point there some where lol.

2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Says who?

Please link me where it says, from Portalarium, Founder stuff *must* be BETTER.

I expect my rewards to be in line with what they promised me, as a founder, not be better for all time going forward, unless, again, that is in black and white.

*hint* It aint. Cheers.

3. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

Hey now! Some of us appreciate your comments.

4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

You mean comments like this

and this even for the citizens

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts?page=4

Yes it doesn't mention benefactors because when that was written there WERE only founders

OSullivan likes this.
  5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

7. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I am a Founder.

However, I do think that there should be incentives to keep people pledging and stop them from just waiting. Espicially if the funds are needed now, or even before the game release, better to have them early rather then late.

That being said I do NOT think that they should go back and make "exclusive" rewards available to people out for the window.

I think that they should close the Benefactor window at some point and offer rewards to them and possibly another price increase on pledge tiers or something along those lines to get people to get off the fence.

8. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Guys, please... keep the knight's house discussion in the knight's house thread. I know this is a similar topic, but let's try to keep the two discussions, and their attendant emotions, as separate as possible? Please?

9. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

This post from the SotA site makes it clear that some rewards will be KS-only: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=5920 "So why should players want to buy a house deed during Kickstarter? Houses acquired during Kickstarter will be maintenance free for life and come with a free vendor who doesn’t take a % of your sales. You will also have access to several house decorations that will only be available to people during kickstarter! Definitely the easiest, lowest maintenance method of acquiring a house." Having something is superior to not having that something, right?

This post talks about how they "did our best to walk the tightrope between ensuring the modified rewards are appealing to new backers while showing our deep appreciation for our special early backers with lots of Exclusive Early Founder rewards." It also quite clearly spells out the distinction between Founder and non-Founder rewards (those who pledged anything prior to May 20th 2013 are considered Founders) : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=24856 .

This posts talks about the titles you get as a Founder vs Benefactor, and the fact that Founders can choose from both sets of titles if they want to: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=23117 . Being able to choose from both sets of titles is superior to not being able to, right?

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think I agree with Atlaua, there is no reason to upgrade anymore even though I have almost a grand into this.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I had no idea that the benefactors hated the founders that much. This thread showed that.

Joviex likes this.
  12. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

First off, I feel the same as others that the question isn't really worded properly. I voted no when I meant to vote yes because I didn't read it as closely as I should have as others have as well it would seem.

Let me start by saying that most every game on KS does this. The two games I was planning on pledging, Shadowrun Returns and Project Eternity, I missed out on KS and they also had rewards that were only available to people who got in early. Was I disappointed? Sure, but it's not a game ruiner for me. Do I think I deserve those things even though I bought in at a later date? Not at all.

The founder rewards were for people who were pledging at the beginning because, as others have said, you are taking a risk when you pledge on a KS project. What if SotA had only raised 1m when the KS ended and not much more after? Those people who pledged would be in a pickle because I don't believe they would be as far ahead as they are now. It would have been harder to meet deadlines and really put into production the quality of product they are putting into it. A lot of KS's are like that though; they just skirt by the goal only to find out later that things aren't going as smoothly as planned. In many cases, companies have run out of money before the project is done because they didn't know what they were doing. Thankfully, LB & Team do know what they are doing and people believed in them enough to continue supporting them monetarily.

For the people who pledged late or didn't hear about the game till later, you're still getting an awesome deal. You're still getting rewards (of which there have been quite a few added since KS ended) and get the game at a price that is lower than what it will sell for retail which in many cases, isn't what other companies do or even if they do give a discount on the game, you get no rewards with it. Be thankful that Portalarium isn't like other companies and they are awesome enough to keep benefactors getting awesome rewards, even if they are getting less than the people who originally pledged.

13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Sigh... this is counterproductive to the excitement and enjoyment of the Ultima series, Shroud of the Avatar, and the remarkable vision that Richard Garriott has brought to life in the past and hopefully in the future. This thread seems to have gotten seriously sidetracked from the original question of Founder rewards. Again, just my own opinion, but yes, they should be rewarded based on their early-adoption during the Kickstarter event, and thankfully so for the support towards making the concept's goals.

That all said, bottom line, everyone who has donated, Founder or Benefactor, has shown themselves to be a supporter and fan of Shroud. If someone feels they have the right to deny someone their enjoyment of this game, they should frankly have their head examined. EVERYONE wants to see a great game created that we can all enjoy and play, and interpersonal drama and bickering on the forums over who has the larger e-peen is foolish, in my opinion.

Some folks will get some shiner rewards from signing up earlier. Some folks will get shiner rewards from dropping more money. That's a fact of life, but is neither an excuse to berate or belittle other people on EITHER side of the equation. Ultimately, it is the developers' decision what rewards will entail, and everyone can vote with their wallets accordingly.

Us vs Them just leads to hard feelings all around.

14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

who said that, exactly? and where?

Joviex likes this.
  15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Atlaua, you are letting poor comments from a handful of people poison not just that thread, but every thread. :( Most of us do NOT feel that way, from either side of the equation, Benefactor or Founder.

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree with everything you said, I just see no incentive to give any more money. I agree that the founders should have a place. I just wish that the tiers on the kickstart page were removed so there is no longer any confusion on the tier level rewards. Giving out $800 For a Nights Tier (paid at once) thinking you are getting the benefits from that tier because (yes its an assumption) that the tiers would have the same rewards. I can understand the titles and such. So going directly from the Kick start to this site I Pledged without reading (again my mistake) the tiers on this website.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

well, basing your opinions of the game and/or the community on a few trolls or troll-like-posts, founders or otherwise, seems silly. just use the ignore feature.

Joviex, NirAntae and Koldar like this.
  18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I believe this was discussed before. I don't think KS allows them to edit what's on that page (because a lot of companies might change theirs later and really screw over their pledgers).

19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

just because you don't agree with their complaints doesn't make them invalid. whether you or i agree, their opinions count just as much as yours or anyone else's. and obviously at least one person on the dev team felt the same way, or they wouldnt have dedicated time to the fix.

Joviex, NirAntae and Koldar like this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I understand, but more people like me will make this mistake. I will get over it, some people won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.