Hello Friend, want to exp group? NO!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bahamut Arc, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hard caps, problem solved

Xandra7 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Hard caps already exist at 200.

Nikko and 3devious like this.
  3. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Thats a good point

Numa likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Avatar

If I remember correctly, they took a gold treasure from the witch and also foot, returned to their parents and shared everything with them... and never again suffered from hunger... so will there be the need to regularly as in Ultima 7? I would like this..

5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I really must agree with you there 100%. People could easily stop worrying about their experience per hour for a moment, so they could enter a submission into this bag design contest, but it seems everyone is too worried about their grind efficiency to consider that a half hour's work could earn them a cool 50k.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but amen to what you're saying here!

6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

"The next day, the witch prepares the oven for Hansel, but decides she is hungry enough to eat Gretel too. She coaxes Gretel to the open oven and prods her to lean over in front of it to see if the fire is hot enough. Gretel, sensing the witch's intent, pretends she does not understand what she means. Infuriated, the witch demonstrates and Gretel instantly shoves the hag into the oven, slams and bolts the door shut, leaving "the ungodly creature to be burned to ashes", screaming in pain until she dies. Gretel frees Hansel from the cage and the pair discover a vase full of treasure and precious stones. Putting the jewels into their clothing, the children set off for home"

They were both in for the fight, just one of them had the final blow, they both shared loot tough ;p

Mac2, Rentier and Arc like this.
  7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I vote NO to the suggested change... This player was obviously smart, and wanted to gain every exp point they could, to gain faster... Why would you want to take that away from them by offering to group? You could have very well just tagged along to help them (not by healing them, but actually helping them) by watching them fight, making suggestions, making sure they're not ganked by other critters (so you can have kills yourself and not steal kills from them), and basically watching out for their well being...

You don't have to group to be a FRIEND... Then to come here and complain about the experience... Sorry, @Berek ... I know, I know, I broke the rules again, but I had too...

8. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

What are you talking? The point here is the incentive to farm xp together X farm xp alone...

Nikko likes this.
  9. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

It would be just a personal reduced exp gain effect if just one avatar in the group would fight while the remaining group member would stand around doing nothing. I do not have the correct numbers but taking the mention value of 63%.
    - AvatarA is standing around doing nothing while AvatarB is killing a monster = 63% of normal exp for AvatarA and 63% of normal exp for AvatarB
    - AvatarA is killing a monster while AvatarB is killing another monster = 63% + 63% of normal exp for AvatarA and 63% + 63% of normal exp for AvatarB.
    You both are doing the same as if you would be playing solo but you get 126% of the exp simply because you both are killing enemies twice as fast...or does group play make avatars kill enemies that much slower because they are distracted to see someone else? :p ;)
    (Well in reality it might not be 126% as you might have to move more often because a group is killing enemies faster than they respawn but even that included I would guess it would be still above 110%)

As far as I know you can grow beyond 200 but of course just for the benefit of attunement…but it would be just a hard cap if you couldn’t reach lvl 201.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Arc likes this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Devs have said 200 in a skill is a cap.

Beli likes this.
  11. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

NO

Arc likes this.
  12. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

As i remember Chris said technical you can get over 200 but the numbers will end there.

Arc likes this.
  13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I just remember Chris saying that at 200 the progress of the skill comes to an end. A skill at 200 or 300 will have no noteworthy different effect as the skill itself isn’t getting stronger anymore and just the gained attunement bonus might be eventually interesting enough to level a skill beyond 200.
    I didn’t heard that there is a new hard cap at 200…can you remember where you heard that?

Arc likes this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I cant remember, it was long ago. I dont think anyone will reach it anyways, the cheapest skill to level is gust at 2 billion to get to 200.

Nikko and Arc like this.
  15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Please don't take this the wrong way: If a stranger walks up to me and says" hello friend", my defenses and skepticism pop up. Who is this stranger who claims to be my friend? Is this just an opening gambit to take advantage of me? Just wondering if the word friend was left out whether the resulting explanation would have been more satisfying. Perhaps a friendship could have been forged.

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I usually start out running around on multiplayer. If I see other people, I usually do the same thing - walk up to them and say "Meow." This is partially due to my cat-like nature and character backstory, but also its a noncomittal, whimsical form of greeting that hopefully is non-threatening.

This is mostly a test to see if the person is receptive to conversation as an opening salvo in an eventual proposal to join forces.

I get a variety of responses to this approach, ranging from:
    - Being outright ignored (most common)
    - A meow in response (yay!)
    - A party invite
    - A discussion about partying up
    - Some sort of ongoing /zone conversation as we each continue to do our own thing

Sometimes, these party invites lead to doing other things together, becoming friends, and sometimes even results in new guild mates.

When I see another person, my first thought is NOT "GRRR, people here taking my exp" -
    However, if the people are unresponsive and the zone gets crowded, I do typically go onto friends mode -mostly cause the respawn of harvest nodes in zones is poor if there are many players getting things. I have no issue sharing adventure exp with anyone, 99.9% of the time I'm after gatherables so its moot.

So if someone meows at you in a zone, don't be afraid to meow back. I don't care if you're much lower level than I am, I'd rather have the conversation than more xp.

I often get /eyerolls from the husband who looks over at my screen and says "ah, picked up more strays?" I also do this in RL with any cute animal that wanders onto our property.

Oeneusc, Nikko, Mac2 and 5 others like this.
  17. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Thats the spirit of an online game. Really cool that Meow icebreaking =)

You are right! In the real life i would have run! But in the game, in a non pvp area, why would one be afraid? Whats the worse thing one can do? Capslock you to death? :p

Nikko, Rentier and kaeshiva like this.
  18. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I'm game anytime you want to explore something difficult where multiple deaths may be required.
    "Oeneus Calydon"

Arc likes this.
  19. Lati

Lati Avatar

I've been thinking about that lately.

In the old days, like 10k bc, the survival strategy of humanity was forming a group. If someone wanted to do their solo-thing and run off into the woods because he's awesome and independent and stuff, he didn't got a sparkly sword and the title 'vanquisher of the twilight'; more likely than not he just died. And if there was a title involved it was 'dead dumbass'.

Without these life-threatening circumstances which you can't survive alone back then, I think there wouldn't be communities, there wouldn't be villages or cities today.

In my opinion to make group games in a way everybody can survive on their own is just catering new age egotists. Which doesn't even make them happy in the end. I think there is a reason why the individuals that make the majority of most mmorpg communities can be described as toxic, angry, frightened and alone. But I guess it pays well.

In a world where you don't need others, people just become rivals for resources.

Oh, and btw. if someone dares to call me friend in-game, I'll be vicious, I'll call you friend right back.

Koss, Nikko, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  20. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Thank you. Now you are in my friend list =)

hahaha. That was a nice one. Loved it.

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.