Hello Friend, want to exp group? NO!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bahamut Arc, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

I found someone exploring a dungeon that i would like to run and thought that i may ask him if we could join forces.
    Lets see how that work out?

Me: Hello friend. Do you want to join forces?
    Him: NO. Cause we both get 63% of the exp...

Check that capslock NO he gave me. Damnnnnn

With the 1m exp cap we have, could we raise group exp ? Maybe to 90% with a party of 2-3? @Chris

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

do not try and change the game try and change your location - go to a place that is more difficult find a player who is about you level and ask them to jon you in a harder place wherer you can kill as much and as fast for a little more exp per kill., that will make the % better

BTW you can let the ignorant player know that it is more than 63% for two players.

3devious and Arc like this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Perception eats reality for breakfast...

4. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

There are plenty of Power leveling services being offered on the market place right now that would be happy to party with you even with the reduction in xp.

Tetsu Nevara, Ajivani and Arc like this.
  5. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

That was evil :p

Black Tortoise, 3devious and Weins201 like this.
  6. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I am very tired of the xp discussions. Can there just be something that is actually fun to do and groups will readily form to do it?

Thermight, Nikko, sgl2586 and 9 others like this.
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

People look at the numbers too much, and think that the higher their numbers, the more fun they will have. I have been playing with some people and we have been ignoring exp numbers entirely, just decided to head off in a zone and fight everything we could, and it has been lots of fun, but unfortunately most look at the numbers and decide that the fun aspect isn't worth the lower numbers showing in their spreadsheet. This isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with the players

Tamsen, Nikko, TranZdog and 11 others like this.
  8. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

I agree with you. Most of the times we dont like lower numbers in our spreadsheets.

margaritte and Alarion like this.
  9. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Portal shot themselves in the foot with this problem. They promised the best gear would be made by crafters so the loot drops have to reflect this statement/problem. So it limits what mobs can drop for loot. Artifacts remain mostly useless (they can't surpass crafted in stats) and gear dropped is for patterns and scrap and so the rest is just filler like the recipes/supply bundles. This sucks too because now you wander all over creation checking every fracking vendor to pay some obstinate amount of gold for a recipe you used to be able to buy off an NPC. The market is saturated with useless over priced junk. You could Waste all your play time looking for something you may not ever find.

So the problem is the fun stuff like raids and bosses you would normally do for something other than xp yields exactly that junk, because if it dropped something like armor sets or awesome epic weapons then the crafters start shouting in all caps on the forums. They should drop stuff you could take to a lore master to identify and then to a crafter to unlock it's potential and then enchant and masterwork. The better the crafter the better the stats on unlock or allow them to change it's properties or something. Until the developers loosen the noose on the loot system it will forever remain about the xp as it's the only real thing that sets character development apart at the moment.

10. Lati

Lati Avatar

That reminds me of the old German folk tale Hansel and Gretel.

Hansel and Gretel got lost in the forest,
    it was so dark and so bitterly cold.
    And then Hansel said to Gretel: 'We should split up.'.
    Scared Gretel asked: 'Why?' and Hansel answered: 'Because if we stay together, we will only get 63% of the experience points”.

Another reason why you shouldn't go into the woods with a guy.

Absolutely! But it's a problem that can be fixed by the game.

You know, if you make it an open world pvp game and the starting area isn't an exception to the open pvp rule or isn't guarded by special npc's, there will be griefing, there will be high level characters killing starting ones. This isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with the players. But this analysis doesn't fix the problem. Which is why games fix it.

My experience is, if people don't have a numerical ingame reason, they won't work together. There is a handful of people that team up or try to team up because the communal experience is their reward. I belong to the second group and in the last decade in every MMO I played, this gaming style made me part of an absolute minority.

I'm new and I started this game solely in the hopes of finding an old school community with teamplay at heart.

How much of the game can you do alone?
    Is there any numerical in-game incentive to group up?

I hope this is in line with your topic, Arc. If you think this a derailment, I'll start another topic.
    I like how you asked that fellow player by the way. The wording is not in your face but you still maintain roleplay. Which makes the percentages the worst part of the answer to me.
    My only encounter today was someone that got baptized 'Crashing Meteor' or something like that. At least you found someone you wanted to talk to.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Tamsen, Nikko, Kara Brae and 5 others like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Most zones are not designed with enough resource/mob density or respawn rate to support more than a solo player. This combined the experience reduction makes grouping less lucrative. The problem isn't that the xp is split, its that adding another person doesn't increase your kill speed or exp gain enough to be worth it because in most places there isn't enough to kill.. Even worse for harvesting in a group where there simply aren't enough resources for both players.

That being said, a lot of folks will group up anyway, simply cause its more interesting than doing stuff alone as long as you're not worried about what your XP bar is doing. I'm almost always willing to let folks tag along, but the sad thing is once they reach the level that they can handle the zone, they are better off going on their own.

Its a shame that the game does so little to encourage cooperative play.

If you at least got the 'same' exp as you did solo, or
    If mob (and resource!) density/respawn increased with more players, or
    If each player got their 'own' loot from each mob,
    Then we'd be incentivized a bit.

The respawn rate is often so poor that even a solo player runs out of things to kill/harvest in many places. And there's a big gap between most 5 skull zones, and being able to do the next thing up, ie Krul/The Rise - and rewards for more difficult mobs both in XP/loot often make grinding T5 a better use of your time, at least until you reach very high levels.

12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Not only that is sexist but in the end of the story hansel and gretel fight the witch together. Remember? ;)

Echondas likes this.
  13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Personnaly with that 1m exp max an hours thingy i was expecting map with huge amount of mobs and special boss at the end "raids" that would have required partnership. But for that we need more players, once that happen and solo maps get satured for exp i think everything will change.

I remember asking Darkstarr for raids and stuff and i think he said we would get them at release date or near that. So it should be soon

Dhanas, Echondas and Arc like this.
  14. Lati

Lati Avatar

No, I don't. Gretel alone kills her and then rescues Hansel. Remember? ;)
    She learned and did not share boss xp.

Elwyn, Nikko, TranZdog and 8 others like this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

The ironic thing is that neither the adventurers nor the crafters are exactly happy with the loot/crafting situation as it is. It's a Gordian knot.

Xandra7, Arc and Ranco like this.
  16. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Persons whom are adamant on having fun may have fun in both a balanced or unbalanced environment; this type of player can derive a benefit either way.

On the other hand, persons whom are seeking to advance and become aware that they are giving their more to receive their less are not able to derive a benefit from such an environment.

The game should be balanced; in this way, both of the above player types may derive a benefit and not just one. There is no use in making excuses for not balancing the game; this is what the designers are supposed to and paid to do.

Arc and Lati like this.
  17. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

And got zero drops for her solo boss kill.

Lati, Spoon, Ajivani and 3 others like this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well... From a RP perspective and not a person interested in xp/hour or gp/hour or arti's/hour the game is set pretty good. What I am trying to say is that good loot should be rare, and artifact loot should be the most rare. I blame this on the grind/farming mentality of wanting x amount of widgets/hour. It should not be that at all, it should certainly be more rare. I think port shot themselves in the foot by letting arties go out at a certain rate. Personally I would limit them per person/vendor until they sold to restart the chance of them dropping. Its going to be a sad day when we start launch and all the player vendors are stocked with all the available arties, there will be no wild west. New players that will be ambitious will after a bit realize that they do not have to play the game, everything is available via rmt or vendors. They then can go and look good at the dance parties. OH I am sorry, I just have a habbit of trailing off on tangents...

19. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

So Gretel decided to wait 20 minutes for the witch to respawn, and tinkered with her combat deck while she waited.

Elwyn, Lati, Ajivani and 1 other person like this.
  20. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.