Time to Adventure out into the world of game coverage. Have Courage!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Real coverage of Shroud has begun!

Unfortunately at the moment the majority of people commenting are people who hate the game, or potential new players who are only seeing negative comments because we aren't there.

The players reading these articles need to know that we exist, and hear some of our stories. Up until now we've allowed ourselves to be cowed into the forums because we don't like getting abused. Well it's time to let the positive word out!

Yes, you will probably get trolled. Steel yourself, Avatar! I suggest ignoring and reporting rather than engaging, it is more effective than arguing. Don't feed the trolls!

Now go out, and tell your story! What is your favorite part of the game? What do you do when you play? What is your favorite story from your adventures? What about events?

Stay positive and let people know that we are here!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...roud-of-the-avatar-finally-has-a-release-date

https://kotaku.com/1823050063

http://massivelyop.com/2018/02/12/shroud-of-the-avatar-on-r51s-vendor-changes-new-maps-and-bears/

https://www.destructoid.com/shroud-...-will-finally-release-next-month-487884.phtml

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...r-leaves-early-access-march-27th/#more-517065

https://www.pcgamer.com/ultima-spiritual-successor-shroud-of-the-avatar-has-a-release-date/

See you in the Outland!

[​IMG]

Lyndoman, matpsch, Time Lord and 11 others like this.
  2. digriz

digriz Avatar

Not everyone who dislikes this game is a troll, people are allowed to dislike it just as much as you are allowed to like it. Just food for thought. If you support the game sure you guys really should post your support publicly. But implying people who dislike it are all trolls is a logcal fallacy that really doesn't address the concerns of the detractors.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm not talking about those people. Politely stating opinions doesn't make anyone a troll.

Don't worry, it's really obvious when you see it.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Its pretty easy for heavy supporters to justify it, when the devs activly call people with negative opinions trolls.

But kaaay.

Im all for open discussion. Enjoy posting your opinions, just dont whine and cry if someone posts the opposite.

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

When talking about Shroud positively out in the net, you will get personally attacked.

Don't let it ruin your day, don't let it scare you off. Come join the discussion because otherwise the handful of guys who made us all hide here get to be the definitive, last word.

And yeah, if they are personally attacking people or constantly posting misinformation, then they are trolls. Report, don't let them scare you off, come join the conversation.

Time Lord, Kain Darkmoor and Astirian like this.
  6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

It's true that the comment sections of most Shroud related articles and reviews include comments from the same handful of actual trolls. They're using many of the same tactics that those 13 Russian individuals recently indicted had used, and I think the entire world considers that to be trolling.

Not just people who dislike the game, but rather, people who have become so obsessed with the game that years after they've stopped playing, they still think about it and post about it all day long. They pretend to be old fans, much like the Russians pretended to be Americans.

But, while the Russian trolling spree in 2016 may have had some influence, I don't think there's much reason here to worry because most people don't read the comments section, and I'm not sure we need any more of the types that do.

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

On it... while i craft some stuff. ;)

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've seen more than one person say "I was going to try it out, but you've convinced me not to." I don't think writing off everyone that reads comments is a good idea, so I'll disagree and say again that we should represent our game when it shows up in articles.

Time Lord and Astirian like this.
  9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Personally I think it's better just to ignore the comments altogether.

UO:Forever has seen much success by ignoring such comments and strictly advertising on social media platforms, and they have developed a great community because of it. They pretty much ignore these types of "fans" who in my opinion are like the Russians pretending to be politically active Americans because they don't even play, so they bring nothing to the actual community anyways. So there's a strong precedent there to validate my opinion.

Of course, the owner of UO:Forever makes really nice ads. We'd need to step up our advertisements to maximize population if we went this route.

Time Lord and Belladonna Rose like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Given the community's own inability to stay civil even within these very forums...this is going to go over really well...:rolleyes:

11. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

With the forums here people are also not allowed to call out obvious trolls for what they are, because it "doesn't contribute to the conversation" - or so I may have been told a time or two ;)

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Safe spaces create echo chambers = non productive discussion.

13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

So many trolls on that first link ..they gonna chew me up .:)

14. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

Do you think they would know you exist even more if your existence was not hidden behind a forums paywall?

3devious, Time Lord and Weins201 like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

For sure, the leader already was talking about this thread, and spinning it as a bad thing.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The critics of Sota have a leader?
    Kay.

What happend to the leader of the other end? Oo was it BdF?? .. oh wait.

Anyways.
    I encourage people to share their opinions.. but agian. Because someone doesnt share yours, doesnt make it or yours invalid.
    Theres as many extremists that go out of the way to lie, mislead or exaggerate in FAVOR of Sota, as thrrr are people doing the same against.

Watevs. Release is close. People will make up their own mind either way.

17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Good OP.

I will do a review on Steam for release. I have held off until now as i didn't think the game was ready or what direction it was going, still not 100% sure on the direction but i have nearly 4000 hours in it so it is doing something right and its time now to let others know...

Id be very sad if people didn't see the good parts of the game/world because there are many of them, and the potential is still massive.

Is there any game 'groups' on facebook or something. I dont really know much about groups but im sure there must be, if anyone knows any good/big ones etc maybe they would be a good place to garner interest.

18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

That such a niche title could attract the same level of trolling as the 2016 US presidential election, as if it were some matter of great importance to the industry, speaks volumes, I would say.

Time Lord, Elwyn, darkskwerl and 2 others like this.
  19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Eh.
    Think its almost solely because of the names used to advertise the game.

20. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

A good post is on Quarter to Three, a long running game website that has many in the industry that visit.

It is actually a refreshing discussion - a long running post that is pretty negative for most of its 2-3 year history. Then over the past few months the chatter is pretty darn positive after folks seeing the progress compared to earlier releases from a year or more back.

I consider it a fairly troll free forum so the positive change in tone from people farther removed from the game than I is encouraging.

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues/71937/483

Winfield, hroth, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.