SIEGE PERILOUS

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Owain, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

I have previously suggested that open PvP be added to OPO, and FPO be expanded to be exactly like OPO, only restricted to PvE. Some approve, some don't. For those who don't approve, I have a different suggestion.

1. Keep FPO exactly as currently announced.
    2. Keep OPO exactly as currently announced.
    3. Define a new mode, call it SP, Siege Perilous (if EA owns that, pick another name).
    4. As with Single Player Offline, your SP character cannot move to either SPO, FPO, or OPO. It is an additional character for each account.
    5. Houses that appear in SPO, FPO, or OPO do not appear in SP. This doubles the number of houses available in game.
    6. SP features full PvP/Full loot.
    7. SP features a skill cap, so that one can be a crafter/gatherer or a warrior, but not both. The SP economy is separate from the economies of SPO, FPO, and OPO, so it will need it's own dedicated crafters. If this fails due to no crafters, remove the skill cap.
    8. The UO reputation system is in effect (as much as possible without getting EA lawyers called in). If you have five murders to your credit, you highlight red, and so forth.
    9. Skills like Recall or Gate are not available. Players involved combat cannot easily escape by magic, nor can they pop up into the 2d map until a timeout has expired. Murderers cannot easily escape the hunters, and PK targets cannot easily escape the PKs. If you want to survive, fight your way out.

This system affords the devs an opportunity to test how well full PvP will be accepted by the player base during the Alpha/Beta tests. If SP is too sparsely populated to be viable, it can be eliminated prior to release. Participants in Open PvP cannot simply escape to OPO, FPO, or SPO. If you create an SP character, that character remains in SP. The economy of SPO, FPO, and OPO can distort the SP economy, nor vice versa. The unwilling cannot be be attacked against their will. If you create an SP character, that is your consent to attack anywhere outside of towns.

There is much disagreement about the viability of full PvP and full loot as a game design, but the data on this is not entirely clear. Many want it, many do not. Test the concept in the Alpha/Beta tests, and lay the question to rest once and for all, at least in the context of SotA.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  2. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

How about Dark Shroud.

I like everything except limiting crafters.

Actually just having an open pvp World with no opt out and full loot would be fine with me.

However, I'm not as worried about the game as I was. After that last interview I think they will do their best to reward pvp. I think he strongly favored pvp with all of his answers.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

He probably does, but as a prototype during the Alpha/Beta, this suggestion costs nothing, or at least very little. FPO and OPO can be developed exactly as they have proposed so far. While I think I would prefer my previous suggestion to make FPO and OPO exactly the same except FPO would be PvE and OPO would be PvP, the devs might consider that approach to be too risky if it doesn't work out and they have to back out a lot of changes.

This way, neither FPO nor OPO need to change at all, and SPO, or whatever they want to call it, can be developed as a full PvP prototype that can be easily discarded if they find that it turns out to be unworkable or unused, or it it proves to be popular and effective, it can be added as an additional online play mode.

The KGB, for one, would far prefer SPO over any other mode of play, and so would many other veterans of UO, not only UO: Siege Perilous, but on the Felucia portions of the regular UO shards. This would expand the playerbase to inclue players who might not play otherwise. It's worth a try.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If there is an option for a separate PvP server I support this too.

I might suggest that you should be able to pick two from the Crafter/Gatherer/Warrior but not all three. Not really sure how big of an impact that would have.

<i>There is much disagreement about the viability of full PvP and full loot as a game design, but the data on this is not entirely clear</i>

I wouldn't not disagree with anyone that says a full PvP full loot game design is viable. Lots of fun, for those that choose it.
    I think the disagreements happens because of Richard Garriott stating that 2 shards is not their first choice.

From there the disagreement comes from the full PvP vs no PvP.

If RG gives a second look at a 2nd shard, he should make sure it's 100% full PvP and full loot.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

After hearing the Reddit interview, and thinking more about it, I have come to agree that there must be some kind of skill cap, since RG said that you can't master every skill simultaneously, which leads me to believe that you can only master one skill at a time. If that is the case, it seems that my request for a skill cap may already be in the game design.

"I think the disagreements happens because of Richard Garriott stating that 2 shards is not their first choice."

Not his first choice, but as a prototype experiment for the Alpha/Beta test, perhaps he might be tempted to try to get full PvP right this time. It won't hurt the main line of development in any way that I can see, and it just might be wildly successful. Or it might fail miserably, and he can say, well, we tried, but it isn't going to work.

6. ZtruK

ZtruK Avatar

I like most of these suggestions. Not sure how I feel about no gate/recall type spells. I loved them in UO but it would be nice to see them with 10+ second cast times so they can't be used as a get away tool.

I'm really hoping for a option for full loot, player run style play. If do that with some safe zones for noobies they will fill a much needed niche for the fantasy genre (Darkfall was a letdown with no skill cap). EVE is doing ok with it in SciFi. Hell, if they just ported most of EVE's ideas over to a fantasy game I'd be happy too!

Please don't let us true UO fans down!

7. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

I would support a separate PvP server as well but yes I would also not want to remove recall or gate and think at most they could give it long cast times. Im not sure this will matter however if travel works as it does with the dual map.

8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Yes. I think with a additional "hardcore" mode everyone could be happy.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

"I would support a separate PvP server as well but yes I would also not want to remove recall or gate and think at most they could give it long cast times. I'm not sure this will matter however if travel works as it does with the dual map."

How about if in combat, you cannot Recall, Gate, or pop into the 2D map? Otherwise, fine. That would retain the 'conquer or die' aspect i am looking for, and prevent trivial escapes.

10. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If someone blindsides me with paralyze ebolt ebolt I'm going to want to recall before I lose those last few HP.

On the other hand you poison someone who recalls and dies after... then you've got a murder count for nothing.

I like recall but could live without it during combat.

11. Dignan

Dignan Avatar

I'm down with separate pvp server as well.

12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I wanna meet carebears only in town, no more.

13. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I think there is enlugh pk support here for you all to kill each other and everyone will be happy

14. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Siege Perilous server like and we on the Road of succes. Yeah come on baby, Real RPG Freedom for all !

Supporting the Full PvP and Full Loot is a life style, not a crime ..... :D

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

To your point on skills, I'd never want to see a game where someone chose between combat and non combat skills. Everyone should have a full allocation of combat skill points basically from day 1. Any skill points that have no combat effect can be learned over years...and I don't really care if/how they cap because it's not really a balance issue.

I dont think you need to have PvP servers per se. Adding and removing servers, transferring servers, etc. is a disaster and had been for every game. There's simply no good reason not to have everyone on the same server and break up interests in other interesting ways. Even WoW, which is basically the only game ever not to have to remove servers does more ever year to pool servers.

I'd be pretty happy to see the following:
    1) Certain areas you can flag yourself for PvP. Doing so shifts you do a phase / channel where there are others interested in PvP. As this happens loot from mobs / gathering / whatever gets better. You've cranked up the risk and theoretically the reward.
    2) Certain dangerous areas are always PvP flagged. These may or may not be the best way to get certain rare materials. (nightshade and mandrake or w/e) Again, whether these are actually better or not depends on your own ability to survive and prosper.
    3) In any case, someone knows the rules going in and out. You're not going in with your best gear and then spending hours trying to retrieve your corpse or whatever.

16. Dignan

Dignan Avatar

Some people don't like that people can get ahead of them in game without risk.

Id rather just play an entire world with my rule set than a separate section.

17. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

I fully support this too, also think that recall/gate should not be removed (except in combat, that's fine) as I really do not like this overhead map travel, and once I marked a ton of spots I probably never use the overhead map anymore if I don't absolutely have to...

Otherwise yes, please add a new play mode for hardcore full loot and open pvp (except towns/villages/cities (there we have guards, should still be possible to attack / steal from someone tho).

Or make that the "default" when you push this "game mode slider" all the way to the top, for those who want that, and from there it goes all the way down

singleplayer offline --&gt; singleplayer online --&gt; FPO --&gt; OPO --&gt; FFA (UO like mode)

18. Jonathon_Blade

Jonathon_Blade Avatar

<blockquote cite="Acrylic 300">If someone blindsides me with paralyze ebolt ebolt I?m going to want to recall before I lose those last few HP."</blockquote>

Honestly, if you died to this, you needed to step up your game.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

"Some people don?t like that people can get ahead of them in game without risk."

I don't mind that. Kids play this game too, and for young kids, full PvP might not be the best choice. That's why I suggested that SPO be completely separate from SPO/FPO/OPO. If you have a character playing SPO, that char was developed only on SPO.

20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Creat a Full PvP + Full loot server stay the best way. I know a lot of poeple they waiting to know how ll be the PvP befor buy this game. RPG = FREEDOM !

More: Make the game all open and create one server for carebears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.