SIEGE PERILOUS

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Owain, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

"Honestly, if you died to this, you needed to step up your game."

I don't remember the exact combos from 10 years ago. The point is, if I get blindsided ... while browsing vendors (for example). I wouldn't mind escaping.

but I can live without it.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

You have to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Among fighter pilots, this is known as Situational Awareness. If you lose SA, you can rapidly find yourself in a bad situation.

3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I SAID I can live without it. Meaning even without it I will live.

Cease and Desist!

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm just giving you friendly advice on how better to survive. ;)

5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I wanna hear RG on this.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

You and me both, Abydos...

7. chiromancer

chiromancer Avatar

Why not mix it all together still? Ristra's sliding scale PVP is a good start, RG's PVP quest can immerse people into full PVP mode as well... Then, for those wanting the most extreme, add a check box (or quest line!) that enables full loot. Only people with full loot can loot other corpses with full loot. If a monster loots your corpse, the loot the monster took would also only be recoverable by a player with full loot.

I'd at least love to see testing done with that on a single shard.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

I would prefer not to mix it actually. It's a bit of a immersion breaker to have two people in close proximity, on you can attack, and one you cannot. Although, as an Anti-PK, I'd only attack reds (if such a thing will exist, which on SotA:Siege Perilous, it would). Even as an Anti, attacking a PK and someone standing there who can't pitch in to help? Immersion breaker.

9. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

The more I read the more I'm thinking I may not last through the first episode unless they open this full loot, full PvP, no opt out server. Games anymore bore the hell out of me and what I'm hearing about this game is really starting to bore me.

The only two games i've liked since UO have been Dark Souls and Darkfall. What I like is kind of niche. I have too many other hobbies that are way more challenging than video games and they are actually healthy.

If you want me to sit my ass in front of a computer all day playing a game. It better challenge my mind and make my hands sweat, and create some good strong emotion.

I really hope the target audience isn't middle aged house wives that sit on their fat asses playing farmville all day and spaming stupid game adds. If it is then give us a hardcore server!

End of rant.

10. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

If lots of people want a separate full PvP, full loot non opt-out "server" then I am all for it, but I would not play it myself. But I am all for the choice being there for those that do want that. So I support such a measure.

I find Acrylic's somewhat sexist rant amusing though. I guess women can't handle games like Dark Souls in your mind? Which is funny. I didn't find the game difficult.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@Ashlynn_Ler
    Are you single? I love you!

12. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

The real major obstacle I see with separate shards/servers is the economy. As long as there are players for both it may not be an issue. But all paths I can see with separate economies invariably lead to problems. Whether it being content (supply/demand) or simply further down the road not having the player base.

I can already tell from the 5 other threads I've seen him in that Owain and I are going to be friends.

In the interest of Democracy, knowing full well the vast public won't be interested in full loot PvP/PvE, what if loot rate on player deaths was a %based chance to drop? Could it work? Would the community be open to testing some form of it? Is this already the plan?

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

@rschultzy80, since there is only one world, there is only one economy. All online players see all the same vendors. As a full time PvP player, I won't see a SPO player, but if he has a vendor where he sells his goods, I will see that vendor.

The devs are still thrashing out amongst themselves what model looting will have. It may be different for different play styles. All we can do is make suggestions and provide convincing arguments for or against the various options.

14. Glory

Glory Avatar

I support this Idea for a Hardcore Version Entirely! I know I've said it before but I cannot stress this enough and it definatly should be addressed early so it can be tested in alpha. Heck, I still play Siege Perilous from UO, and in any game with a hardcore mode I have characters in them you best believe it! :) I love the challenging aspect of full loot/pvp and if it doesn't work in alpha then scrap it!

15. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

@Owain Ahh I misunderstood what you meant by separating the shards. I watched the video today and saw what they planned for keeping the SPO involved in the economy. As long as content is all stored where everyone can access I see no difference in the economy. But with difference shards/servers how will those that choose to venture into PvP transfer? Versus a PvP flag being turned on and off?

I mean I couldn't take my catskills tamer out and play on pacific shard, or could I? Not sure if that matters in how they develop it.

@Recall and Gate spells. It seems as tho LB's plan for Lunar rifts and such would act as "short-mid distance gate spells" Just reading between the lines on that.

16. Twiztid

Twiztid Avatar

While I don't know if I necessarily like the idea of skill capping and some other changes, I will definitely vote for an additional mode added to the game beyond the OPO mode where there is Open PvP, full loot, and the characters that play this mode cannot be played in any of the other modes. That's one of the best ideas I've heard yet

17. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Please can this SP mode have permadeath too?

18. Retro

Retro Avatar

I actually think that we can satisfy all play styles in one world (multiple-zone instances) just by making the "PVP slider" as intelligent as possible at matching people with similar play styles, game options, power levels and vision for the game.

Want open PVP, turn it on and you will have open PVP against others with this flag set, and you will encounter them more often.
    Want full loot, turn it on and you will have open PVP against others with this flag set, and you will encounter them more often.
    Want permanent-death, turn it on and if you die or kill someone with this flag set, death will be permanent and you will encounter these players more often.
    Want nothing to do with PVP but still want to play full OPO mode, set your PVP slider to the lowest setting, avoid traveling at night, stick to well lit areas and main roads, and avoid known PVP areas. The system should then be smart enough to put less PK'ers in the instances that you join as well as make their potential PVP opponents more evenly matched.

I really believe the "PVP slider" feature has the power to give us all what we want and satisfy everyone from the hardcore UO players to the carebears in one world. This could end up being one of the truly defining features of next gen pseudo-mmorpg's, let everyone play in the same world the way they want to.

I stared at thread about this feature but I got no bites...(good idea/bad idea, please comment)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=ideas-for-the-opo-play-mode-filter-system-active-matchmaker

19. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'd like to see only one actual shard. Anything else leads to dying shards, server imbalances and all kind of mess.

I'm perfectly OK with FFA PvP zones. But would rather not see FFA rampant in the game. To me guilds and factions fighting for some cause adds purpose to the game. Instead of just a bunch of mindless killing. Again it's fine to have death-match arena zone or w/e. But this doesn't make much sense from a global conflict point of view.

I'm perfectly OK with people cranking up their own personal death penalties. Or you can just have an achievement for "kill 100 without dying". If you die, it resets the achievement, which is effectively a permadeath.

20. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

@Retro "Want open PVP, turn it on and you will have open PVP against others with this flag set, and you will encounter them more often.
    Want full loot, turn it on and you will have open PVP against others with this flag set, and you will encounter them more often."

The main issue with flags and sliders is people always find ways to abuse it. I'm not saying it can't be done but they'll have to offer a lot of trial and error. I can see it now, "ooh i got all this awesome loot, flag off." "My best gear is on, flag off."

Not sure where the balance needs to be but it's more challenging than just setting a slider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.