Ability to mark locations on in-game map

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by ldykllr, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

This may have been brought up before (I couldn't find it, but I can't imagine someone else hasn't thought of it yet), but it would be nice to be able to mark waypoints and other areas of interest on the in-game map (with the ability to include a short note would be awesome as well).

Nick and Lazarus Long like this.
  2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

This was and is a feature that was built in to SOTA Map.
    But as I now understand I'm told this is a security risk the way it was done originally? (Not quite sure that is the actual fact)
    None the less it's what I have heard.

@Rok Yrikk
    Still waiting to hear news on this and any other info as to this would be GREATLY appreciated by MANY I'm sure.
    Could you clarify for us?

Laz

Alley Oop likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that ability existed when it was on sotamap. i assume they'll transfer it over when they catch up on the rest of it.

ldykllr and Lazarus Long like this.
  4. Rok Yrikk

Rok Yrikk Developer Emeritus

This feature requires the map toolbar, which is not present on the in game map. However, it exists on the website map https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/

If you wish to share a link of a location to someone, follow these steps:
    * Go to https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/
    * Click on the marker Icon on the toolbar
    [​IMG]
    * Click on the map where you want to place the icon.
    * Click the icon that appears
    [​IMG]
    * Click the "Share" button
    [​IMG]
    * Copy and paste the link you get, or you can embed the map iframe in a website

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/m...123&poi_subcategory=/ 456&poi_description=789

5. Rok Yrikk

Locations can be marked and shared with people, however they will not be saved into our database. The security risk was related to the database queries used in SotAMap, so we disabled users' ability to submit map data to be saved in our database for the time being. We have been working on connecting the shroudoftheavatar.com log in to our maps this release, and hope to restore POT owners' ability to save changes to their POT map this release.

Timmy Vortex and Olthadir like this.
  6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

While that might be nice for hey look at this location. It's really not what was once available nor what we are talking about.

At one point I had all my vendors and their locations marked on the map for ease of view on the map.
    As well I HAD marked MANY MANY ore spawns and other stuff that was always visible on the map where i marked it.

No longer possible since this method only lets you mark and share a spot and disappears right after use on a refresh.

As per the Threads Topic " Ability to mark locations on in-game map"
    Not mark and share a spot on the map once.

And while that would be great to see back. If you all plan to automate that, there would no longer be a need for that.

But the need to mark where a special vendor I found was or where a specific node spawns on a map IS wanted/needed.

Thanks,

Laz

LiquidBlaze likes this.
  7. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If not ultimately doable with "sotamap" - perhaps we can utilize the in-game map items?
    I had made a suggestion (which I submitted during a telethon, and I believe was liked and something to be done in the future):.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am hoping the sota map will have some ability to help. The world is too spread out and while we cannot help that a mapping system would be great. Can we get an idea of what features it is going to have?

9. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

So the former Mypois layer could be saved locally then? Really missing that feature. @Rok Yrikk

Lazarus Long likes this.
  10. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

And then give us an option to share/merge our location markers file with guilds and friends :)

11. Rok Yrikk

The feature will be coming back in the next release of the map, and you will use your shroudoftheavatar.com account to save the personal POIs.

We currently don't have anything available for sharing personal POIs with friends, I really like that idea and will add it to JIRA.

12. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

@Rok Yrikk You ROCK! :)

Much appreciated!

Laz

Grimace2 and LiquidBlaze like this.
  13. .rhavin

.rhavin Avatar

Why cant you just do an ingame map that lets me save my POI in preferably different markers? Just give me some 'mark current location', let me specify a color and enter some text.

BTW, is there anything planned on the map visuals? I mean, you already have an area as 3D-data, why dont you do a rendering in birds perspective, give it a nice fog of war, a hexgrid of ›black because yet-undiscovered‹ areas and let us mark POIs on it? Would be much better that this slow web-like map that shows up if I hit ›m‹ that wont let me do anything useful with it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.