Offhand Weapon Bonuses which one stack which ones don't?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Wazir, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazir

Wazir Avatar

Greetings Avatar here I am seeking knowledge, So I have heard when you hold a weapon in offhand some of its properties (eg. wep crit chance, wep damage) Doesn't add up to your overall damage! I have been confused since what actually stacks and what doesnt stack I think we can all agree that the stats work what about (Thrust Damage, Weapon Critical damage, Weapons innate crit chance damage is it relevant? If someone can write this clearly would be great... (EG these bonuses improve your overall damage but this works only with your attacks with that specific weapon)

Thanks in advance

Numa and craftymethod like this.
  2. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

I'm pretty sure you are used to games where the offhand swings by itself, here in Sota you will find your offhand attacks are down in tactics tree, so until you actually swing with it, the physical properties will not be applied weapon crit etc, (a weapon can't crit that is not hitting) while the magical non physical(enchantments/masterworks) are in fact applied (str/dex/int). I'd be interested to know if anyone else knows otherwise.

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Actually, all the stats from the offhand weapon should be added towards all weapon attacks. I asked this question for the R48 Postmortem and it was answered by Chris in the "Missed Questions" thread:

And here was my follow up to get more clarity on how they stack:

Numa, Wazir, Sara Dreygon and 2 others like this.
  4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

You can always easily test this just by checking your damage glyphs when you equip your weapons. I don't know of any weapon bonuses that don't currently work from offhand and stack.

5. Wazir

Wazir Avatar

Thanks everyone for your interest, However I am still confused.... To Clarify let's do a wrap up!
    Weapon Critical: +3% Weapon Critical Chance
    Weapon Critical Damage: +5% Weapon Critical Damage
    Weapon Damage: +3.8% Weapon Damage
    Weapon Base Damage: +0.3 Weapon Damage
    Weapon Strength Damage: +3.8% Weapon Strength Damage

Thrust Power 10% Thrust Damage

So let's say my Off hand dagger has these masterworks Do they add up to my overall damage? Or only when I use offhand attack - Same with dagger blade and bindings do bronzes dagger blades crit chance improve your crit chance when you use an ability? So If it's not the case is it ALWAYS better to use health defense bindings on offhand weapons! Thanks again all for your contributions :)

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

If I am understanding Chris' explanation to my question correctly... If you offhand weapon had all of those bonuses listed on it, you would get them all added to whatever your main hand weapon had on it - FOR EVERY ATTACK (including auto attacks, charged attacks and glyph attacks with mainhand).

One thing to note though, which might make things confusing: Notice that some of the bonus descriptions give a % and some just give a +##. They are two separate things and not to be added together. Those without a % just add to the base weapon damage modifier while those with a % will increase the noted stat by a percentage. So, your Weapon Damage of +3.8% and Weapon Base Damage of +0.3 does NOT mean you get +4.1%. It means the the base damage you do will get an additional 3.8% and then get a flat 0.3 damage added to each hit.

Hope that makes sense.

7. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

That's not how I read it, but I guess it depends on what you consider a stat bonus versus weapon damage.

8. Wazir

Wazir Avatar

Daxxe Diggler: Do stats on an off-hand weapon get applied only when using the off-hand attack skill, or do they also get applied to your main hand weapon attacks?
    Atos: Currently, they only apply their damage when used with the offhand skill but they always give their stat bonuses and also a bonus to the amount of damage that can be parried.

So we still don't know... My understand here is that stats(int,str,dex are included obviously) but the weapon damage "they only apply their damage when used with the offhand skill" only works with the off hand attack.

So back to my last question... are those bonuses(non-stat) applied to your overall damage? or only hits with that specific weapon?

If anyone knows please enlighten us @DarkStarr @Atos ...

9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Well, when Chris said "They only apply their damage..." I took that to mean the offhand weapon only does damage when you use the skill, but any bonus given by that offhand weapon still counts on all attacks. When you craft an item with a certain material type or when you enchant/masterwork it, it adds a specific bonus to that weapon. Therefore, I would say any stat shown on the weapon could be considered a bonus.

I could be wrong, but just explaining my reasoning on how I got to that conclusion.

10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think the only one that can truly confirm this would be Chris. The problem in trying to verify it is that all weapons have a range for base damage and not a fixed amount. If a weapon has a damage of 8-15... your hits are a random number between them. You may get a string of 12, 10, 15, 9, 8, 14, 14, 14, 11, etc. So you can't simply test with and without the offhand equipped because that may result in a string of 12, 10, 15, 15, 14, 11, etc. It would be a slightly different string, but still all within the range. Actually, I guess you could get some going above the range if your main hand and/or offhand have a damage bonus that modifies the base.

But my point is it's really hard to verify this without knowing the actual calculation.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  11. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Actually, you can verify that the stats from off had weapons stack with the stats from the main hand weapons by just looking at the skill tool tips. For example,
    • Equip a longsword made with meteoric iron blade and hilt (+5 base weapon damage) in one hand an a normal longsword from an npc vendor in your off hand... now look at the damage on your thrust tool tip.
    • Now replace the npc vendor weapon in your off hand with another meteoric iron long sword (+5 base weapon damage)... now look at the damage on your thrust tool tip. Notice that it has gone up!
    UPSHOT # 1: +weapon damage stats. + thrust damage stas, etc on an off hand weapon DO increase the damage you do with attacks/skills with your main hand.

UPSHOT #2 : Two handed weapon builds are strictly inferior to two weapon builds

Numa, Wazir and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  12. Wazir

Wazir Avatar

Great idea mystarr will do that! Also will try to check with thrust damage etc for science!
    super hard to check crit chance tho...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.