Crafting and why it s....s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pounce, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Nothing wrong with crafting itself mind you, from an technical point of view, and it is great to make something special ... but...

To get there is not the hard part aqquirring the materials, refining them, figuring out how to put it all together.

No, the way the tier 3 recipes come into the world via supply bundle.

The average price for an tier 3 recipe (at least the ones i am looking for) ranges 15000 to 25000 gp.

If you do not have an house in an good place to place an vendor (and for some silly reason someone needs your junk) there is no way to gather enough recipes to make something worthwhile, because earning that money back even remotely before server wear out of old age is kinda pointless (yes i could grind an super toon to AOE some high level critter herde and earn lot of gold selling to npc vendors or so, but that does not really sound like the way to do things to me.

On top of that i run for hours in circles through towns to hunt an vendor down that
    a) has what i need
    b)whos owner does not demand an silly price for it.

I for myself are kinda done with crafting because as long i do not own an house to have the vendor to earn even an fraction back recipes cost there is no point doing it, and with the time and effort i save on hunting recipes (and the money to aqquire them) I can have much more fun doing other things.

Cooking in RL for example, lot of fun, recipes for free and it tastes yummy.

2. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

Can't you place your stuff on a public vendor? Or is that not a viable way? If not, can I allow tenants to use my NPC vendor? I can't seem to find much info about the tenant system either in the wiki. I know we can set permissions on doors. Can we restrict placement of items now to certain areas in our house?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Marcus Deadshot likes this.
  3. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

yes you can place stuff on public vendors so no reason you can't earn good gold selling stuff and while it's nice to have the highend recpies like meteroric plate armor or supple leather armor you can still make sell and use reg stuff i was lucky enough to get in the game early and buy all the recpies for metal working of npc vendors for 250g but i still need to get all the ones for cloth leather and woodworking do you think i'm going to spend a lot gold getting them all no i'm going to trade and sell any extra recpies to get the ones that i need latter on it just going to take a little longer

they also have a great market section in the sota forums for such things :)

Marcus Deadshot likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yup once again those who started early got an unfair advantage...

I didn't even make my first craft yet... maybe one day when I'm filthy rich and I can afford it... maybe.

matsutaki and Stevvcash like this.
  5. ganjamanus

ganjamanus Avatar

Not to mention before you didn't even need to find the recipes from drops.
    They just had to put in the mats and got the recipes like that.
    Totaly unfair those players can sell these crafts and recipes to new players.
    They really should do a wipe on the recipes.

matsutaki, Derium, Gorthyn and 2 others like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yup everytime my guildies put stuff on their vendor under the price of the material cost (and that don't include the recipe and failures) the neighbor undercuts them, early backer who could care less about not turning a profit.

I actually admire my guild for their perseverance... all my friends I introduced on this game left ranting... even my best friend whom I gave an account to...

7. eli

eli Avatar

The recipe problem is just an example of the excessive market friction resulting from the distributed and privileged nature of vendors.

I would be happy to sell you those recipes for 5k but even though i have a CFV in a popular location, I can't afford to pollute it with a bunch of recipes, same with the majority of vendors owners.

The market simply fails to match buyers and sellers reliably enough to produce a real economy.

matsutaki, Nelzie, Derium and 5 others like this.
  8. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I've been trying to track down reasonably-priced recipes too, and I can't find anything. I would love to make the meteoric and white-iron stuff, but I simply can't justify the cost. It's absurd. The lowest I've seen is in the 10K range per recipe, and I need like 3 or 4 to make a suit of armor. So, we are talking about basically investing 60-100K in recipes just to be able to make Meteoric or White-Iron Plate.

Selling on a public vendor isn't really an option either. The 10% listing fee will eat any profit you could hope to make. If you raise your price to try and offset the listing price, players will just go elsewhere to find the armor on vendors where the owners have no listing fees, giving them a clear price advantage. Even with listing fees removed from the equation, making profit on crafted gear is near impossible currently. Factor into that a minimum of 50K spent in acquiring the recipes needed to make the stuff people even want to buy, and you are looking at months of high volume sales just to recover what you've invested into crafting.

This is why I started just harvesting and selling my materials to other crafters. However, recently the prices for harvested goods, like ores, has started dropping too since supply is increasing. It's not really worth my time either.

The grey supply bundles virtually never drop recipes. I've looted probably 50 or so, and only received one recipe from them I believe, and it was for a potion. I've received maybe 4 recipes from yellow bundles, but those seem to drop much less often. I've yet to see a blue bundle drop, and I'm clearing T5 and T6 mobs fairly efficiently at this point.

I'm all about having rare recipes and components, but the meteoric and white-iron stuff doesn't really seem like it should be considered "rare" to me. If that's rare, then we are basically left with two non-rare suits of plate: Iron and Copper.

IMO those recipes are worth somewhere between 2500-5000g. Not 10000-25000g that I'm seeing them listed at.

Baratan, Numa and StrangerDiamond like this.
  9. Hamsta

Hamsta Avatar

started few days ago and just crafted my first set myself. with some enchantments not much. all around +2 - +4. crafting is fine and id like to go deeper into it

10. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Public vendors are a silly idea, as stated above.

I got what i need to make me a decent bow and armor, if other peopel want gear... too bad... why should i splurge thousands in gold for something that is not even medium up to "top gear"

crafting in sota is fine but the economy is a blood mess and why should i suffer for that....

matsutaki and Hamsta like this.
  11. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I agree with some of the points here but did want to mention that the guild EVL has regular "recipe swap" parties where they will give you any trade-able recipe - for free. There are other guilds that do this as well. It's a great way to save gold.

12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I think the solution for this is to finally have a decent ingame chat ( not discord) . The trade part of the game , matching buyers and sellers like you said, takes place outside of the game , and it should be ingame. I hope we will soon have a GLOBAL chat , a TRADE chat ...like all mmos have ... even the tinyest browser games have world /trade chat with the ability to link items . Any recipe will just be few words away ..no more scouring vendors for hours to find a strap recipe . You post in chat WTB x recipe and in 1 min you will probably have it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  13. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

that's what i was saying you don't need the fancy stuff just reg copper and iron is fine with a cpl enchants
    and there are other ways of getting them at a decent price

the only reason in this game that you would need maxed out high end armor is if you want to PvP and more than likely a better PvP'er with crapy armor will take you out every time

Nelzie likes this.
  14. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

hardened leather bindings are no friggin maxxed out high end ... 20k going price

15. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Sure, if your goal is to be stuck fighting stuff in T4 and low T5 for the rest of time.

Baratan likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

well I understand what your saying, but you don't have to be homeless and many landlords give free rooms and use of commission free vendors. It is just a matter of what you gonna do?

17. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Prices will come down as more players reach the level to get the supply bundles and find themselves with excess recipes. The high prices now are due to a lack of supply that will soon be resolved.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Elwyn like this.
  18. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

It is not having an home, that is something i may care for at an later point.

Searching for recipes i learned a few things.

Vendors in bigger towns (like owls head, brittany and so on) are where people go
    We have so many vendors one more will be a drop in a sea
    the one player one vendor model is sill (you search your self silly looking for something more generic than iron ore)
    The armor i can make with the recipes does not sell for prices that will pay even remotely for what the prices are for the recipes. We are talking hardened leather, that is practical one level over plain leather, nothing magical or fancy or "end game raid worthy"

Making an hardened leather armor would be like 20k in recipes at least, it sells for 700 to 1000 ish, and big part of that price is the vendor bought fuels so you earn quicker money selling shoddy bows to npc vendors.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'd settle for a trade bulletin board in every major NPC city or town which would list the buy orders of every player vendor in the region. You'd still have to go to the location to sell your mats but at least you know where to go.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Are you in any way related to Time Lord SMITH ? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.