Load Times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luethar, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satanski

Satanski Avatar

I have 16 GB, GTX 1080, Ryzen 5 1600x, SSD, but loading times and performance in bigger zones/cities is unacceptable. Well, i came to accept it for time being, but nobody really should.

2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This is all subjective.

How long are your load times?

What are the FPS that you are seeing in these places?

My system isn't VERY far from what your basic specs are, but... so much more can impact that, for example, just because we're both might be running the same chipset motherboard, doesn't mean that we'd have the same performance... Also... with the Ryzen, if the RAM isn't matched, as in one of the tested and certified for the motherboard in question, it's HIGHLY likely that you'd end up with much poorer performance.

I researched the ever living heck out of my system build and my Ryzen 7, 1700 system was running faster than many systems with significantly better "specs" back when I did my initial bench marking. I think a good bit of that is because people didn't bother researching all of the bits and how they work together when they built their system.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Numa and liz_the_wiz like this.
  3. Azulazo

Azulazo Avatar

I have a phenomenal gaming rig with SSD and 1 Gig per second internet speeds and since release I'm getting terrible load times so I don't think it has anything to do with these variables. Pretty sure it's server side not client side.

4. Satanski

Satanski Avatar

Loading from Novia to Highvale Outscirts - 36s
    Loading Highvale Outscirts to Novia - 20s

Performance in Highvale Outscirts:
    Lowest settings/shadows off - 30-34 fps
    Highest settings with cloak simulation and peripheral lighting off - 22-30 fps

Novia on lowest settings - 40-50 fps

Thing is, this game doesn't look near good enough, to justify such performance. Don't have any problems with other games. Good thing is, in most smaller scenes game runs perfectly fluid.

I also was thinking about overclocking memory, becouse neither GPU nor any of CPUs cores show excessive usage. Have to test it.

5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

There are Unity engine based limitations AND that the game has far fewer pre-rendered elements than many "other games".

If they made FAR more static, never changing, never moving objects, things would load/render faster, but that would have detracted from quite a bit of what is going on in the game. Maybe they need to look into the Unity Engine Source Code, maybe they need to seek out further optimizations for their needs in the Unity Engine, possibly they need to turn back the need for so much customization of individual characters?

Maybe if they took a more cartoon look with everything the game rendering issues would be significantly lower, but... that ship has sailed.

Elwyn likes this.
  6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

It is not second league and it is not free dude. Free for home use to play around with it a bit yeah. Not when you want to start releasing games or use it commercially anyhow.

Nelzie and Elwyn like this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

It has more to do with all the light sources of all the objects in combination with all the interactive objects. All these light sources render their own shadows. This just hits performance a lot.
    All these different objects have their own high res materials/textures. This hits performance a lot..
    Also the scenes seem mostly fully rendered without added culling (making far objects invisible or crappy rendered). This also hits performance a lot. But then again it looks so much better.

I could go on and on, but they know what they are doing. Performance optimizations are mostly at the end of development of a specific part.

Satanski and Nelzie like this.
  8. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I agree that fixing the light sources would go a long way towards fixing this. Figuring out how to "blank out" overlapping shadows from light sources, such as if the light sources sphere of lighting touch, they cancel out all shadows within the mutual spheres, but even that might cause problems.

Turning off shadows would probably do a great deal to enhance performance for most.

Feeyo likes this.
  9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are working hard to improve these load times. Every release sees notable improvement! This last release also had a couple of limited instances where load times were somewhat longer than normal.

Also, if you don't have one already, having an SSD storage drive for your main operating system and game drive will help load times immensely.

10. Luethar

Luethar Avatar

Ya the answer of getting a SSD is not something I am ready to tackle yet. I have never seen an SSD be in the system requirements for a game and it is not in this one. I expected an immersive experience at release and I didnt get it. Been in the game for two years, I took a break until about 2 weeks before launch. The game has vastly improved however, the load times are taking away from my enjoyment. I play other games just fine and with little to no delay so I am sure that it is not my hardware, nor is it my ISP... has to be server related. I thought maybe because I log in through Steam that would have something to do with it? Dont know... just sadly going to have to shelve this game if it doesnt get better.

11. Satanski

Satanski Avatar

Just making transition into Novia map near instantenous would make me so much happier.

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're improving this through several ways as well, will do!

Feeyo, Rentier and Satanski like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.