Meh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thulmor Kingslayer, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thulmor Kingslayer

Thulmor Kingslayer Avatar

this game is too much of a grind fest with no reward. Pass.

raxxus likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you expecting comment, or just saying goodbye ?

3. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

4. Thulmor Kingslayer

Thulmor Kingslayer Avatar

Or you can waste 2 years for a game that already hit its peak and will fade like it was during first year of beta. No new player will stay once they realize the 1000s and1000s and 1000s of hours you need to put on to be competitive now. Bless Online comes out early access in May and DESYROYS this game. And UO 2 legends of aria end of 2018 also desyroys this game.

Acrylic 300 likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I thought you said you were "passing" on SotA.
    So why keep this conversation going ?

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Competitive with what, exactly?

7. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I want an game to "hang out in" not another work away from work so why should i do competition ??????

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes it may not be for you but keep your eye on it for new content coming over the years. Every release brings more. Maybe something will catch your eye another time. ;) The most important thing is to have fun. Also I am Majoria in game if I can help. I am not exactly sure of which part you didn't care for which is fine, we all have our preferences for the type of game we want to play. And because you didn't have fun doesn't mean another person won't.

For example Yesterday my day was so full it was crazy almost. I logged into my home and right away I had 2 new players, 3 neighbors all at knocking at my door. One wanted a room in my Inn, One asked me to trade recipes with them that took approx 30 mins or so ;), and then off we all went to kill reapers, then do sieges, then we went on xp run together. One person was brand new and I just said come on lets go. Imagine how that is for a 2 day old person. Then later we went back to the Inn and synced some music. I don't find the game boring at all and I'm always busy if I want to be. I am creating little bags of songs that have song parts like a bag might say for its title "Stand By me" song 3 parts. And for future stuff coming atm We don't even have our boating system or treasure hunting system yet or full fishing system. Hopefully for those that want them they can do pvp sea battles, for me I just want to fish and travel the world to see what I can, perhaps fight an occasional sea monster, and fish up a treasure and or treasure map.

edit and to clarify: and this does not mean that all is there or exactly as I like. I too have a wishlist of things that are not the way I wish them to be. Such as fishing, agriculture, and crafting to name a few. But I believe as mentioned the core is there to build upon.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

None of those games you mentioned look particularly different or special to me.

There's always a litany of MMORPGs that some people, mainly people focused only on competitive PVP bring up.

Over the years I've heard that ESO, Crowfall, Black Desert, Archeage and many many others are going to be these MMO kings but none of them really have what I'm interested in.

I'm glad that I waited until "Launch" to actually do the game's storyline, because I feel like it's much improved from videos I've seen earlier on from 2016.

And I do feel like there is an extremely solid foundation now for future Ultima adventures. Many of the elements that make Ultima great are present.

Some of the more disappointing things are the frame rates in large cities especially Ardoris. And bugginess in the quests, some awkward design things. Need more non-mainquest sandbox stuff available and more interesting PvE AI and tactics.

On the plus side having your own house and filling it with quest items and stuff you make is pretty awesome, what other game has that ? Not many.

We do need all the stuff in the Q2 post tho, but future seems bright.

Nikko, Bigg, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Goodbye, Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for.

11. Seth Darkhammer

Seth Darkhammer Avatar

If you do not like the game, do not play the game...its pretty simple. Though, many people do like the game and enjoy it and will continue to do so even if you are not here. Imagine that?

12. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

People's attitude towards others not liking the game needs to change. Someone else not enjoying the game doesn't in anyway impede one's own enjoyment of the game. There's no need to flame someone for not liking the same things. It doesn't hurt to see negative comments from people about the game. If the devs see something someone doesn't like crop up once they can probably assume it's not actually an issue and rightfully ignore it, if they see something in particular pop up repeatedly then they may wish to revisit that issue in game and hopefully make the game better for others in the future.

13. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

I can't judge this person to harshly, we all know this game needs players but the question is how many does it need to stay afloat?

This game is definitely not created for mass appeal however the devs still need to feed their families and still have money left in the coffers to satisfy us.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In a contrsting opinion, i found my progression in this game to be a welcome break from more grindy games ive played like WoW or Tera.

I like that im end-game capable in a matter of days rather than months.

15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

If his post was constructive then maybe a different response would of been given.

16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Aye, I was so excited to wipe my (kinda broken) questlines that I havent worked on since ~R35, so that I can experience it all anew! I also am super pleased to go through a totally diff style character from the beginning, the new player experience was great for me this release.

Ive been playing since R10, and I am currently not quite adv level 80. I really enjoy the scenic route in this game (though Ill admit, I am in my own grindfest cuz of this double exp week!). There is so much content I havent seen yet cuz I choose not to grind. I log on and just casually have fun and its great all the time :). I would encourage everyone to avoid making an MMO your 2nd job, and just aim to play more freely and openly. Some times its nice to take a break from mobs, and work on that GM Safe Fall :).

17. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

For some too much grind is reason enough to tap out. Not a lot more than "too much grind" needs to be said. The belief that feedback also needs some silly barrier to validity is a bad idea as well. As I said, if this is the only comment saying "too much grinding" for the next few months, the devs can just ignore it. If they get lots of comments coming through saying "the grind is too much", then they should take pause, go away and look at xp, where skills are placed on trees, whether to buff some early skills, etc.. All feedback is good feedback, even if we personally don't agree with it.

Mykll, Stevvcash and 3devious like this.
  18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I completely disagree. He said "this game is too much of a grind fest with no reward. Pass." He didn't say which part of the game is a grind fest or what type of reward he is looking for. I don't like typing out walls of text like some people but this is just a throw away comment. In this game you can grind till your hearts content or very little depending on your goals.

19. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

What he said was sufficient to let Port know they lost a customer and that grind was the reason. That's fine, customers come and go all the time from everything. If it's not a theme, nothing further really needs to be said by anyone. If it does become a theme, it's on the company to come in and ask for more details from people at that point. There's no obligation on the customer to justify

20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I am with you to be tolerant. If I am posting my feelings on this forum -not especially to one person or to "Port"- I am starting a discussion. And it should be allowed to take care and to share feelings and thoughts, like other do. If not, we wouldn't need a forum and a "Post Reply" button. Only a "post" button ;) And is "meh" not a theme? Maybe. Isn't the claim "this game is too much of a grind fest with no reward." a theme? Just a point of view ...

Claiming things in an open forum like
    should give the right for other people to share their point of view, or not?
    If we try to change something in a good way, just a claim can't be the solution.
    [I was a new player in 2014. And I am still here, after realizing a few -awful!- and a lot of -great- things!]
    So, I hope it is okay to share a few thoughts with interested readers of this forum.

From Paladin to Paladin:
    I played the whole story and for me there was no feeling about "grinding fest", since(!) the Outskirts were implemented.
    Before that I had to stop my storyline at Shuttered Eye to lvl up my Avatar! At this time I would say, you were right ;)
    And I could confirm it -for high Adv.level players- at the time as death decay came in until the day specialization also came in and changed it in a good way!

Well, what means "no reward" or "reward"?
    In game you are rewarded with:
    Gold (if you are seeking this), other stuff (to use, to sell, to salvage), XP (to improve your Avatar and get more competitive!), special - virtue - Armor, and also - virtue - banner.
    What kind of reward are you seeking for, my friend Paladin? May be, this is not the place to find what you're seeking for?
    Is it glory or reputation?
    For me it is enough to play inside this story, trying to help others, trying to follow the virtues.
    I am not led by gold or duels with other players or to be the master of grandmaster ;) (Enough to know him! You can find him from time to time in Soltown Tavern ;))

I like to play a game not only for a short time. I want to have my time good invested. When saying "time good invested", I am not talking about money or gold.
    I am here for playing a game. I am here to enjoy a role playing game - althoug there are people saying, it is not, but anyway: I am playing a role inside a game ;).
    I am here to enjoy and relax. And from my point of view I do. If I would not, I wouldn't be here. The reason you can't meet me in UO, of course I had a lot of good hours over there ;)
    After the red headed PvP came and overrun the world I left ... And after arriving in Trammel and finding no reason (from MY point of view) I left.
    I was searching for a story, worth to take part of. In SotA I found it - again (after all the other Ultima games) ;)
    And another thing: I like to watch the whole progress over time. That's nothing to do with playing. It's more like watching a "making of" film :)

From Paladin to Paladin:
    1. The feeling of wasting our time is a very personal. I felt also wasting my time over a few months before. I am not happy with illogical and unfair things, treating our (game) time not respectful, as the death decay thing did before (I wrote about the calculating in real time, instead of game time what would be more fair). It got better because Chris changed something. Well, in my eyes it is still unfair, because it is counted in real time, not in game time. But, of course, that's only my point of view. I am respecting the developer decision and got a way to handle it.

As I felt wasting my time I played less. And I didn't visit high(er) tier places just to explore.
    To be honest: I can't await to enter a Tier 4/5 area after a few hours of gameplay. It has to be earned. That's the challenge. BUT: it was unfair that a new player had to do this when following the path of love! Time and constructive feedback changed a lot ;)

To get a GM in this game or more of them and to have the ability to craft great stuff, is an earning and everybody who is interested and willing to invest the time(!) can do.
    If you feel bad while action this way, you are absolute right! As I played UO, I wondered about, how my nephew could enjoy(!) to do all this stuff like mining, crafting, fishing!
    [well, with all the actions necessary, people call "grinding" ;)]

In WOW I learned to use such things "en passant". And so I do in SotA. I don't go out for "grinding" hours and hours. I am exploring a scene. Mostly in case of been sending there for a quest.
    I look around and recognize a tree. Ok, may be I need the wood for making wood pulp for scrolls. I see Mandrake or other regs: I use my ability to gather them. Because I need them :)
    I don't have to use mining. But if I want to make my own Shield and Armor, it is the way the game provides ...

I don't see my (game) life as a kind of "grinding". I look at it as a challenge, as a (one time) gift(!). So I look at this game!
    I don't want to have an easy mode to GM 10 Skills in one week. That would be boring (in my point of view).
    I like enjoying the moment, not trying to reach the stars in a couple of days (GM heaven?), I don't want to be dreaded, because I am killing 666 other players within a week ;)

I often read about in this forum: well, what does it mean "to be competitive" ?
    I think, I am competitive (again my point of view) with the first day in this game:
    I can follow the storyline and quests. And I can manage them. I did them over the last 4 years and some of them were absolute difficult! Not anymore ;)
    4 years before I couldn't afford the money for enough regs! Now, the loot is really enough to earn gold and to finance stuff!

So, I am competitive (with the view of "how this game works"). I can follow for a lot of hours an interesting storyline and improving my character.
    And after I did all the paths (4!) I can visit high(er) tier scenes to experience and find out about the riddles and puzzels. And there are enough of them in the realm!
    Am I competitive to solve this stuff without further grinding skills? Well, if I like it to puzzle and find out things: yes - in other cases it could feel like "grinding".
    You don't believe there are so many things to do? Watch Rinaldis great thread! (they get more from Release to Release, by the way)

If this isn't what you expected - you are right! There might be other games fulfilling your (electric) dreams in a better way. Don't waste your time, if you have the feeling, you are :(
    Unfortunately, no developer can change anything with this kind of information :( I read so many complaints (like in real life!) And people often can't describe the important point and a creative suggestion to change concrete things.

Telling "the whole thing is bad" is the same as telling "the whole thing is good".
    It tells nothing about, WHY it is bad or good for you, in your case - and most important: how you are thinking it could be solved different? And consider, different for you, mustn't be "better" for other players, enjoying it how it works yet ...

That's why I like this forum: we can provide concrete information. Just a basic complaint about the whole thing isn't really helpful. It's like "I like chocolade or I don't like chocolade". In both cases you are right. But the other 50% feel another way. The trick is to fulfill -in best case- both needs.
    The weather is so bad (says a German looking out the window, pointing his finger to heaven, while it's rainging)
    The weather is great (says a nubian farmer in Egypt leaving his hut and raising his hands to heaven, while it's raining)
    [--> recognized my picture? Ahhh - I love autumn rain ;) And as I really like it, I wouldn't spend hours for autmn leave grinding! Well, let's think about: if one leave would earn 500 gold? ;)]

I can complain again and again about the world mess, because we are eating to much meat, the slaying of animals, the global warming effect ...
    Well, nothing will change, but this: People who like to eat meat don't listen to the REASON behind my complaining:
    the fact, the industrial livestock farming has a big part in destroying the planet. Documentaries are telling the truth about ...

What can I do, this one human? I make my decision:
    - Eating the next meat not thinking about where it comes from and what kind of consequences it has
    - From now buying -less- high quality meat from a place/farm where I know the animals and the nature around are/is treaten in a good way
    - last but not least, I could decide to pass to eat this meat any longer.
    As you told us, you decided:
    From my point of view: in most cases it isn't the whole thing, but a few things here and there, creating dissatisfaction.
    If we can describe them more concrete, humans can find solutions ...
    Unfortunately, "GRINDING" is not concrete enough to change the whole thing.
    Fortunately you have the right to make your decision :)
    Farewell, Avatar on your own special Journey - may you find what you're expecting in another game. My best wishes ...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Mykll and Chrystoph Reis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.