“About half our player base is more interested in playing through the story than playing online!”

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They got that with The Elder Scrolls Online but then complaint about it being an MMORPG.
    Playing a story driven RPG cooperatively with just a few friends is different than playing an MMORPG. TESO does show that very clearly. This is why now many The Elder Scrolls fans want a single player The Elder Scrolls VI. Maybe with coop gameplay but not an MMO again.

And of course many players who are playing the game right now want something like UO or a sandbox because what incentive do single player fans have to play the game right now? There is nothing there for them yet. So I guess that many simply don't play yet.
    Also one problem is that the Early Access version gives a "wrong" impression of SotA. People buying the Early Access think that this is a sandbox MMO because right now it is and there is nothing for SP fans in the game right now. I am very interested to see what happens when the devs announce that they are concentrating on the single player for some releases to build the SP experience...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Sir Cabirus, Alexander and rune_74 like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Either you have not been following the devs at all or you are intentionally pigeonholing SotA into your version of what you think people hate. - a jab at people that disagree with you.

It's your loss if you throw in the towel with that belief. But I am betting you have no intent in leaving for those "private servers". It's all about attacking the consensual PvP crowd.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  3. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

No elder scrolls online is a horrible game which never should had exist in the first place. dont compare it to skyrim

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really?

Who in this thread has said all single player and nothing else? Who are these Very vocal people you keep singling out?

The difference between what they did with wasteland and here is that they DO listen to some of the posters here, which makes the game worse in some cases.

It's not going to be a magic light switch that turns on all this content and features. I assume they are working on stuff in the background, stuff we haven't seen. I have tested some stuff, I have even commented on it. Some stuff I like...some stuff I hate. Some stuff I'm just Meh....but that's not speaking for anyone else but me. Does anyone care that I think the signs for BMC made out of food look ridiculous...or the ankh walls break immersion?

Do you know why there are so few forum posters saying anything about single player features? It's because they all left or gave up this game for an MMO....no one is talking about this game in the CRPG community. You don't see RG and co reaching out to sites other then MMO sites. You don't see any articles exulting the single player features. It's easy to see a MMO right now and not see easy to see CRPG.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't know. You don't know.

The difference between my approach to this and yours, is apparently that you know everything that other people think and do. Whereas I certainly don't know what other people think and do. I think it's fine to speculate and even to voice your concerns, but I don't think it's fine to speak for other people or assume as much as you're doing.

As far as who I'm saying is vocal, it's the people that are most vocal. I'll leave it up to you and others to decide who that is.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

See this is borderline. You are singling people out and waiting for them to react to you. I don't appreciate it.

I'm not assuming what people are thinking...I'm reading it and hearing it from others on different forums. Don't tell me I'm doing something I'm not. I have no idea what they are thinking when they call it an MMO I guess....I'm not sure why you can't see why there are so few posters, it's a logical conclusion to come to.

If you think I'm wrong in assuming the single player game has been written off by a lot of people please show me I'm wrong.

7. Drocis the Devious

I'm not doing that. We'll have to agree to disagree, on this and many other things.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I all know is the meta server and hex based scenes are a major foundations of the game. SotA at it's core is about delivering a story. It's not just that 40 hours of story at launch. It's ongoing over the year or so before then next episode. Offline is offered because they can.

I see references to other games that are single players but is there a single player game out there that has an online persistent world?

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ok, I decided to do a little experiment...I posted a thread in a forum I frequent asking people to give their opinions on shroud, if they thought it would have a good storyline or if it would live up to the older ultima's.

I want to see what people think.

I tried not to add any connotation of what I felt that way as to not influence peoples views.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061361092#post1061361092

Note, it's in a sub forum so it may take a bit to get some replies...but might be interesting.

Alexander and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So many reasons this is wrong. Statistical analysis can not be done this way.

People not posting on forums for or against a topic is impossible to extrapolate. I'd rather believe people are more willing carry on with their lives and wait for a final product than infer people have written off the game.

Alpha/Beta testing is not easy. There is a lot of sitting and waiting with speculation. More people are going to do periodic check backs the longer the development takes.

11. Drocis the Devious

It might be interesting, but does it matter? Either way, the story will ultimately be good or bad because it's good or bad. So what's the point?

My 11 year old son is constantly telling me that his friends say he's "not a real gamer because he doesn't play 1st person shooters", to which I respond, who gives a damn what they think? Play the games you like to play.

So why are we overly concerned what people think on some other forum?

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

To add to that, it's asking people that are likely to be less informed. The posters here on these forums can be hit or miss on the information. I can only imagine the lack of information on an off site forum.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Very interested in reading the comments.

Maybe you should ask the same thing on RPGCodex, but I think I already know the reactions of the community there ;)

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I thought we cared that people want to play this?

If they are less informed that is also an issue....maybe that points in an area the devs can investigate a bit more.

I championed this game to death on RPGwatch...no one cared(well a couple did) but the rest wrote this off during the kickstarter campaign....it got worse as development went on. I would love to be able to say it wasn't the case.

I dislike that site...not the nicest of people...but I did look and they have commented....not a lot of nice things to say.

15. Drocis the Devious

Maybe you should ask them if they think Episode II will be good too? Episode V?

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Wrote it off for good or till a later date.

Very big distinction. Considering that SotA is covering a lot of new ground. It's hard to look at other games to compare. So it's either listen to what the devs have to say or wait till there is a product they can hold.

Not everyone is willing to sit through all those dev chats to keep up.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hard to say at this point.

A lot are upset/were upset at the cash shop. This is a bigger deal then a lot want to acknowledge.

Some looked at the past couple of games as an example that MMO's are his bread and butter now.

I'm not sure other then that. I did argue that they did promise a lot of good features(if you don't believe me you can search on that forum.). I've championed this for a pretty long time.

I don't think we need at selling it to a couple hundred overly invested backers, but at those who are on the fence.

18. Drocis the Devious

I never understood why people that are primarily concerned about a single player experience would be the least bit worried about what other players spend their money on. Since they don't play with other players.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That is definitely a tricky one. It's one of those foundation things though. It's just as key as meta server and the hex system. But the people that wrote the game off because of the store probably haven't been listening to the devs and why they are using it. Or whether they balance the store vs in game items.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It seems to me those people are the ones linking online persistent world to MMO. If they dropped the MMO they could drop the online persistent world. Then all their single player vs MMO complaints would go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.