1 Instanced House Per Account

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Mutilator, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

That would be hell with this crafting system lol !

Time Lord likes this.
  2. ledoc

ledoc Avatar

I have to agree with you. Housing is such a touchy thing. I remember it in the original UO. I played on the Atlantic Shard and I had the first house out on the tip of the peninsula kinda NW of Brittain. IF you were smart you stripped down naked and ran like hell because of the pk trap on the other side of the mountains and good grief, you didn't want to lose the deed AND all your stuff. There were no lots....placement depended on you getting it over the right kind of topography.
    Ultimately housing was what caused the end of my UO playing. They had so many bugs that allowed people to rob your house and of course that wonderful system where you had to have an actual key in your possession to enter a house. That meant if you got PK'd outside your place...it became instant Natcho as in Notcho house anymore.
    It became rather a drag too when I visited the game later and saw how housing had developed....places I used to wander and hunt were no longer environmentally friendly to the orcs, ettins and trolls. Hell an ettin wouldn't even have space to walk. In that regard I think the "lot" concept with SOtA is good isn't $165 a tad pricey? I anted up my $55 pledge and I really hope this all works out and this will be the best game ever. I also really hope there will be some balance so the person (like old geezer me) who no longer has the luxury of living online can be a more full participant in the game. Housing is big stuff in RL or in world.

tradyblix and Time Lord like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's why this old geezer did away with some of his disposable income and got himself a tax-free lot and a nice house to go on it. It'll be there forever, whenever I have time to come visit, and all I need to do is log in once every six months.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

If you die in real life, you lose your lot :(

ledoc, Time Lord, Lord Trenyc and 2 others like this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

We don't yet know how many will be left just make it an incentive to login on day 1 take the day off from work pledge to be a citizen, but a plot, it's a land rush just like UO, there will be IDOCs just no loot but the plots will open up occasionally, there have to be some perks for these big supporters of the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

But not your deed! :D

o_O

tradyblix and Time Lord like this.
  7. ledoc

ledoc Avatar

Hmmm, now all I have to do is divert my non game playing wife's attention away from the bank book. somehow I just know she'd notice if I bought what I wanted.. alas... such is life

8. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

No instance, please.

Roleplay will suffer from it.

I'd prefer to invite people in my house.

Inns, tents and other alternatives are there to solve this kind of problem.

* Envy / Midian * likes this.
  9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

How can roleplay suffer any more the world is made up of instances so how can adding extra housing hex's change how the game is played, the only difference is that no quests will be generated in housing only instance's so the game play stays the same .
    For the 40 hour storyline how many instances will you need to enter and leave to complete it.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

In don't even see a problem. There will be plenty of people who won't be that fussed on a house and there will be plenty of people prepared to rent them out (that's what I will be doing)

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think there needs to be a reason to go into housing areas other than just player housing tho.

It's got to feel like it's a real world. If there's no reason to go into Valemark for example, other than the people that live there,

there won't be the kind of community interaction we want

12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

if you don't own a house anywhere their will be no reason to go to any town once the storyline quest is done. you will just pick an area an stick to it, there is no point travelling all over the place on a travel map.

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The thing about the towns and villages out in the middle of nowhere is that they have little to no NPCs. So sure, you might not have an incentive to go in there, but the people who live in there can provide services for each other, which will indeed increase community interaction. If the entire village can become dependent on themselves, then more power to them. However, that will be tough and until then, they will still have to go visit other towns to get services they can't get at home. And you never know; there could be a dynamic quest that has you go find an NPC wandering in one of those towns so you would have an incentive to go visit it, at least once.

tradyblix likes this.
  14. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

hmm. I can't say I'm thrilled to learn that housing will be "rare." I'm not a fan of instanced housing and I do understand that the amount of available in-game space is finite. But the term rare gives me a bit of misgiving about my own chances to have a house in this game, which for me is a real biggie. I'm coming into it late, comparatively, and I have no wish to be dependent on others for housing.

So this brings up a question on something I'm not clear on. I understand the houses and plots for certain pledge levels are persistent. You won't lose them with wipes as the game development progresses. (except maybe the location). And I assume that anything bought in the store for rl money would likewise not be lost, (again, except for location). But how will that work for plots and houses bought with in-game money? Does anyone know? When the game is reset, is it lost and you start over again trying to get a house? Or when the game goes live?

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Housing will be permanent, no wipes (Im not talking about releases or betas). The palce of the deed of the store can be lost (the place, not the deed, a you said) since is not taxt-free

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@Noctiflora
    Everything is wiped between releases. There has been no binding to individual accounts yet. Everyone can trying claiming a plot. A final wipe will [probably] be done before release.

17. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Ok, so if I'm understanding right, if you manage to get a house and plot with in-game money (not the store for rl money), after a wipe you keep them and just have to find a new location? You don't have to build up the in-game gold again and purchase them again? From what I'm reading, the price is pretty steep.

edit: oops, just saw the second reply. lol. Now I'm confused again.....(my usual condition.) :)

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not sure what Wipes you're talking about... The Episodes aren't restarts, they're expansions... Is that the confusion?

A lot bought as an add-on or with in-game currency will have a rent associated with it. Failure to pay the tack means the lot is no longer yours, though you'll still retain a deed, and can select another lot. Also your house and all the belongings in it, or outside of it on your (former) lot will revert to your inventory.

Lots granted through a pledge of Citizen level or above will have no rent associated, but will revert after a period of time of inactivity. Current numbers are 6 months for Citizen, +1 month for each pledge level above.

Is that more clear?

Noctiflora likes this.
  19. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Great. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

And yeah, I'm still getting used to the terminology and all. My poor little pea brain is getting overloaded. lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.