1 reason i think gear economy is slow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Aside from gear lasting forever, i noticed from another thread that alot of people look for gear the same way i do.

+4-6 masterworked/enchanted stuff.

This is because this stuff is effective and affordable.

Its very difficult to make money without grinding in mines for hours. And gear of this quality is more durable (cost less to repair over time) and costs a couple of thousand per piece.

Its also easy to get to the level needed to reliably make this gear yourself.

Hornpipe and Numa like this.
  2. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

My leather armor is +9 and +10, all pices have dex, Dodge, and avoid and cost less then 10k each. Durability is over 50 on each piece with some over a hundred. All bought from @Lace vendors.

You can clear all content with my gear, why spend more?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Stundorn and Numa like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

But it is all about efficiency, make it faster, more XP or IGG/per hour is the reason.

fonsvitae likes this.
  4. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

What is this content your referring to?

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Even though items with less enchantments and masterworks tend to be more cost effective than items with more, there is still plenty of demand for fancy expensive items. Imo, the biggest problem is that if you want something fairly specific, which most people do, it's usually much faster to make it or have it made than to wander all over the world hoping to find just what you're looking for. To compound the problem, there are not many crafters that take orders for specific expensive items, because the high variance of the crafting system makes it a real nightmare to calculate fair pricing.

I've sold millions of gold worth of fancy expensive crafted jewelry that isn't very cost effective, even post artifact, mostly I think because jewelry doesn't suffer all the same downsides as most other gear. Unlike armor, weapons, and wands, every character uses jewelry and all stats produced by enchanting are preferred by some. If you try to craft and sell something like plate armor, people will pick out the str/dex/hp/avoid stuff and the bad rolls will just rot. In order to profit, you have to write off the bad rolls that will never sell and fold that extra cost into the items that people want. The increase in price required to craft for profit hurts sales enough that it's much more profitable and less time consuming to just sell the base crafting materials that have much more utility and are useful to many more people. This is why most crafted items for sale in game are either enchantment skill-up fodder or leftovers of bad rolls from people trying to make their own gear.

How fast items break makes no difference at all when it comes to how people choose to obtain their items. If the best way for a person to get something is to make it themselves, that will still be the case no matter how many times they need to get that thing. As long as selling resources is clearly preferable to for-profit crafting, there will continue to not be much for-profit crafting.

Shadow, Mototopo, Numa and 2 others like this.
  6. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

This release, I do a lot of solo farming of mages and eleven/skeleton archers in The Rise. Multiple archers at once. I have tanked bosses.

7. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I'd say the biggest issue with the economy as a whole including replacement gear is that there basically is no economy. It takes a significant amount of training time to create high level Crafters for the various pieces of armor. If you include all the Silver Ore and Gold Ore that someone training in Masterworks and /or Enchantment put in, the time and materials put in is phenomenal. Add to that all the Various Ores that are needed for Metal Armor or the MOB's that need to be killed for Hides to make Leather. Then to have to deal with the numbers of attempts to get a halfway decent piece of armor with failures resulting in total loss of what you had worked on.

It would be like putting a Doctor through 6 years or more of Medical School, then years of Residency in a Hospital and then saying congratulations you are going to be able to make $7.50 an hour.

The problem is there is no serious supply of actual gold in game. That is, other than that captured by the Solo Boss hunters selling off tons of Artifacts. When you make a comparison to a real life economy you have to remember that most of the high ticket items purchased in an thriving economy is done so on Credit. This game has no Credit Cards or Payment Plans. Trying to control the Gold Supply in this Game Economy needs to take that into account.

At present it seems that the Gold Supply is based on the actual Gold and the items in inventories that can be sold for Gold. That is what would in a Real World Economy, other than the Gold be called Wealth. Wealth has absolutely nothing to do with how robust an economy is. Spending of that Wealth would but keeping it in inventory for other uses such as raw materials does not.

In other words the game needs to increase the amount of Gold that drops on MOB's including putting saleable weapons on every MOB not just a select few. If you want people to buy Crafted Anything they have to have the Gold to do it. The Crafters need to be reimbursed for their time and materials as well as a reasonable profit. Right now that is never going to happen if one has to spend every piece of Gold they make equipping for the next hunt.

I have a halfway decent Chainmail Armor Suit. I have had it for a long time. I would love to replace that Suit of Armor but I cannot afford to pay a Crafter what they deserve without my selling off most of what I have collected in Inventory. And yes I could sell off the Rewards I have received from my Pledge or other things but like anything else eventually it would run out and we are right back where we started. In addition selling off these items has nothing to do with the long term availability of Gold in the Economy.

FrostII, Stundorn and Malimn like this.
  8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Economy is bad because people over value the gear they create. Started September 2016... .prices of gear made me try crafting. Once I saw how easy the stuff was to make I realised people were just profiteering. I still buy... but only correctly priced stuff.

My intention was for once NOT to craft in a game... people's greed made me do it.

edited: to remove drunken posting sound :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    hroth, Hornpipe and Numa like this.
  9. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Ill take + 10 and up. There is quite a difference.

Gear should commensurate with level though. it could be that most player are "stuck" in the mid level, and settle for the mid gear. Having a full set of leet gear changed my life and allowed me to go from level 50 - level 85 in a short amount of time. Could be a lot of other factors besides gear though. A lot of people are selling top gear at cost so it makes sense for players to just grind for a day and get a nice piece.

fonsvitae likes this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

There is also the factor that max durability goes down eventually.

+4/+6 gear can be replaced with a minimum of fuss but higher level gear requires the infusion of COTO's to keep them viable. The only really high level equipment I have is a wonderfully crafted +9 iron dagger by Fzol and for that I'm willing to spend the crowns to keep it in top shape.

For me, skills take precedence over equipment though decent gear certainly helps.

11. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

I put +8 to 13+ items on vendors both in town and on my vendor and things RARELY sell... I do not charge more than 10k for a single items and most of my stuff is at 5-9k per piece and they still do not sell... None of my items have gains to health, life or focus and are all stat based. There are not enough players to support all the gear out there AND the gold is hard to come by as well.

12. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

largely depends on what you are putting on an item. You have to know your customers. I can tell you I'm making that level of gear too and have been for quite some time.

If you don't have at least +5 stats on gear, most people won't buy. You can craft +13 gear with only +2 to 3 stats at non GM level. Then at GM level a +8 can have +5... than will move faster than a +13 with 2 stats on it.

Then you have to ask yourself, who am I making gear for? Casters? Tanks? Rangers, etc. What stats are they going to want on their equipment etc. A lot of times I even find +5 stats gear and it has nothing I want on it for my tank, BUT it's plate armor. Then I find a lot of non socketed weapons nice stats, but non of the effects I'm looking for. The crafter doesn't want to waste gems, and will have the mindset that all players want is attunement on their gear... untrue from what I've seen... so the gear sits.

So know who you are catering to...

For example:
    Here is stuff I would like to see for my tank. (I'm GM Blacksmith and 90s in all others) And I still buy when I see good stuff.
    Plate Chest: - Gaiasm, Thaumaturgy or Socery (I never use wards) with effects like Strength of Earth, Healing Power - Mend - Death Resistance, Weapon Swiftness
    With Mastercraft - Body Slam, High Damage Resistance
    With stats +5 Strength, Dex, or Intel ( with STR being the main focus)

So this is just an example, for what I would be looking for. You have to know what your audience wants... or expect it to sit. Specialization is usually key... which is why Sara Dreygon is moderately successful.

bigta1982 likes this.
  13. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I agree, something can be +13 be worthless to me. A +9 or something item can be worth a lot with the right stats.

Net and Numa like this.
  14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

True. I may make 100 swords at a time but only 25ish will be exceptional, 69% will break during masterworking and enchanting leaving about 8/100 with two enchants and three masterworks. A few of those will be "top notch" with STR/STR or STR/DEX with thrust, d-slash, rend. The leftover 80ish swords go in a chest (now multiple chests) for later. I very rarely sell what I view as top notch and instead use those myself. The 3/2 exceptionals I don't see as top notch others may (INT, whirling blades, etc.) so these usually recoup most my costs.

Armor is even more of a pain as you get less chances to get "top notch" due to higher costs. I've broken 15 exceptional and 20 non-exceptionals trying for two perfect bronze plate chests... $$$.

Spoon and Numa like this.
  15. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

This is a crafting game, I know there are some that do not craft and that is the way they play I am just speaking about the majority.

Early on there was a push for PVP, also for the social aspects of the game. Some of the large guilds, the top graced 4 or 5 wanted to move new members into their guilds through sometimes free gear ( in return for your mats at expense of your crafting skills ) or through the hospitality program. This was upset by the other smaller guilds seeing it happen that free homes and free benefits became the best deal in town. ( checkmate ) 8 }

I have soloed the game for the most part and it can be done yes i went the crafting route, I can make +8 - 12 anything now and never had a exp pool over 200k.
    6 GM Bladed combat / Thrust / Stone fist / Deflection / Mining / Met Mining, some up to 112 and most of the others in the high 80s / 90s. Adv level 81 and have not done many quests

When I can be self sufficient as I feel I am now also having 2 rows with vendors I will look for a guild or group for the higher end ( need a group content )

Heal and focus pots make up for a lot of the higher end gear, I start out with ( Obsidian bear / Obsidian stag / All the str buffs i can get and enough heal and focus pots to be the envy of a drunken sailor...

I think there are a lot of players as I am out there and that will make weapon and armor sales real slow and if it ever does pick up there will be a lot of sales competition and prices will reflect that.

16. eli

eli Avatar

I think the +{number} scale for gear is extremely misleading, and can make reasonable prices hard to determine.

I can make a +7 item that is not-exceptional, has +3 from the durability mw, has +0.9 int mw and +8 focus enchant, or I can make a +7 that is exceptional, has +1.8 int mw, +2.6 int ench, +5.3 int ench.

It would be so helpful if the relevant enchant or masterworks skill were computed and displayed on the item somehow. Maybe even just as an average. i.e. you could have "102 skill level" as an attribute if it had 3 enchants at 98 armor enchant skill and 2 masterworks at 108 cloth mw skill.

Also would be nice to have exceptional in the item name instead of having to dig through show details.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Numa, Whitestag and Grimbone like this.
  17. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Maybe if we could also lose gear to mobs in the same way, or similar to how we can in pvp ?
    Just have a 48hr timer to buy your stuff back, and per item so you could choose just to buy your sword back and not the other stuff for example.
    Ofc also the option to get back to your grave if your able within a 15min time limit / ofc before instance closes.
    That always kept the Uo economy going having stuff lost to mobs.

18. oplek

oplek Avatar

It seems like people think the issue is that gear isn't lost quickly enough... as opposed to there simply being way way too much supply for the demand. If everyone and their clockwork dog is making equipment, of course the economy would be slow. Maybe the gear decay rate isn't the problem?

It'd be like saying "Our fifty million apples aren't moving. I know! Let's have it so apples decay in 5 minutes so people have to keep buying more!"

Whitestag, Peabo, Katu and 2 others like this.
  19. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

I would agree, to keep gear delay at min I repair at every 10 point drop and decay is real slow although its costly. With all he crafting out there its easy now to pop out a +8 to 12 if something breaks. Granted you have to have the mining or whatever skills up or enough money to buy mats.:)

I think I would PVP more or at least some but its a pain to clean out inventory and put stuff on you do not want to lose or fill your inventory up with arrows lol . I think most PVPers use alts all set for just that playstyle. Maybe I will do it that way and put up with my son saying WTF my char all beat up and red to boot. LMAO He still has not forgiven me for taking his top tourny fighter in WOW and dressing him in pink and logging him out on top of the city mailbox. He is bigger than me now and I can not run as fast as I used to so I have to be careful..:oops: Kill the loot stuff in PVP and you will have a ton more players pvping I am sure.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.