Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

10 tries at 25% harvesting (pic) for a mere 10 exp

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Waxillium, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I re-rolled my Avatar to see what was new with character creation since R14.
    This would not be a fun experience if I was new to the game.
    I know there are threads on this already and I look forward to the R17 changes.

[​IMG]

Alexander, KuBaTRiZeS and Duke Raas like this.
  2. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I had a similar experience when recently creating a new char to try the game. The harvesting exp was not enough to be worthwhile. I did find that I had some crafting skill points, though, and so I went and trained my gathering skill. Once I did that, it was much easier.

So... currently I think you pretty much need to train a gathering skill right up front in order for it to be useful.

Sean Silverfoot and Net like this.
  3. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Crafting items currently gives you 50 pts of exp each time you hit 'craft'. [And currently there is no fail for crafting.]
    By crafting something like salt you can easily increase your prd lvl to the point where your chances to gather are better.
    Also one thing to note, the exp you get from gathering skins, cotton, wood and ore differ from zone to zone, dependent on the difficulty lvl of the zone.
    So for instance, you might get 10 pts of exp for a tree in South Valeway (starter area), but in deep ravenswood that goes up to 200 pts.

4. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

I agree, just rerolled an avatar to experience character creation without the rush.

Ugh... solo is hell.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Adventurer exp scales you out of production exp areas too soon. They are not evenly matched at all.

Sophi, Hraw and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

yes needs a bit of tweaking, i agree

Hraw and Curator Kvow [MGT] like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Thats true about salt but a hunter gatherer will hopefully not need to craft 1000 salt for no reason before starting out. Although realistically you need it to cure meat ;)

The 10, 20, 50, 110, and 200 exp nodes seem to decrease your chance by 10-20% as you scale up. Prosperity items are pretty sweet. Not sure of the exact number but you get about .9% chance of harvesting increase per level.

What seems out of wack is that you can take out top exp creatures at a low level but have no chance on the nodes in the area.

8. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Yeah. Numbers need tweaking.

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Rather than saying 'Harvesting Failed', I'd like it to hurt you, like you slipped and cut yourself with the knife/axe/sickle because you are so inexperienced.
    Then it should say, "Perhaps you should seek training before attempting this skill again."

That would be more fun than lying to me saying i'll be successful every 4th try when that just isn't the case.

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Axe imbeds into shin. Would you like to try again or seek help?

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Well you won't actually be successful every 4th roll.

It only means everytime you use that skill you have 1 25% chance of hitting. It's the same percentage everytime one makes an attempt. The odds don't get better by doing more

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Harvesting Limb succeeded! because everytime you can be a winner ;)

Seriously, i think a bit of punishment through catastrophic failure is something interesting; with little chance of success you have a dreadful chance for critical failure... over certain % of sucess critical failure is nonexistent. In case of critical failure there's no need to sever yourself... maybe your tool loses extra durability or the node consumes without getting anything...

Hraw and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Yeah, I realize the odds. But when I see numbers and percentages it frustrates me. Yes, it's another 'immersion' breaker. I use that word too much, but I'd rather receive some tactile/meaningful feedback like, "omg, i suck so bad at this i'm hurting myself", than a number. The game will be more fun when it has meaningful, intuitive visual cues for things to replace all the numbers, bars and stats.

Another Example: This is a sandbox game, and I could go pretty much anywhere whatever my experience. The game knows what level I am, and what level 'zone' I'm in. Rather than showing me the numbers, or letting me 'find out the hard way' that I'm in a place too powerful for my current level, the music, sound effects and visuals should adjust to this disparity, and be full of clues that I'm somewhere extremely dangerous to me.

Some of these types of features may be technically difficult (but worth it), but some might be quite plausible to implement, even for Episode 1. At least, I hope so.

Sean Silverfoot, KuBaTRiZeS and Hraw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.