2 Factor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shep, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shep

shep Avatar

Have the devs thought about using any form of 2 factor authentication for the game? I know it wouldn't take much to implement... but as much money as people are spending and putting into this game, is there any more security they can offer to us as end users?

The gaming industry is plagued with trolls trying to "hack" you or not so much sometimes. Some are as easy as a phishing scam. One thing that I personally like from some of the bigger games is the 2 factor authentication.
    It would be I'm sure easy to implement and set up. Something like Google Authenticator, or Authy would work great. The extra level of security would go a long way I think as well. It would help the developers of the game show that the game itself has value, along with the time the gamers put into the game.

Virtual property is still property is I think the message, and security is golden.

Aldo, Lord Beli and Jatvardur like this.
  2. selbie

selbie Avatar

The question was asked in the October monthly dev Q&A, but it looks like they are behind with answering them. I can't find any thread with a dev response.

Jatvardur, Sunswords and shep311 like this.
  3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

It has been requested several times without a firm answer. There was some mention that players shouldn't worry because the devs can always sort it out. Can't remember the exact statement, think it was somewhere in dev+, and wasn't completely reassuring. Helping 1 person is easy, but doing this for hundreds will be hard. If I lost access to my email account then someone could easily impersonate me on SOTA.

Something cheap would be to implement pin numbers for our bank accounts a la Runescape: require a pin to be implemented before accessing the bank. This provides a big enough stumbling block in most cases to prevent mass scale theft. The implementation in RS used a pin pad UI with random key positions. They could also lock the account after 3 incorrect insertions; unlocking via email is ok provided the email account hasn't be compromised. However, combined with something like IP address / location it should help cut down on fraudulent access / theft.

steanne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.