30 second cooldowns why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duncan O. McDermott, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

I have one skill that I use in every combat I get into. The skill has a 30 second cool down and because of that timer there are times I can not use it in combat.
    So I am here to ask why we have a timer for 30 seconds on a skill?
    Also while I am at it when we load our weapon into our hands why aren't our combat skills instantly ready?
    Why do we have to wait for them to load through the timers? It isn't as if we used them once already.
    Just asking because I am curious.

Josh Randall likes this.
  2. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

For the same reason when you load your glyphs (Z) and unload by accident and reload you have the timers all over again - poor design considerations.

Forcing long timers on players is another way to time sink them. Time sinks are a way to delay/postpone/cancel new features from being implemented as well as new quest lines, new areas, new dungeons etc.

30 second timers is insane

3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Considering that you practically instantly draw your weapons, my bet is that it promotes the idea that you weren't "ready".

Saxxon likes this.
  4. Duncan O. McDermott

Yes it is .....30 seconds in a game is a very long time.
    I have loaded into scenes and had mobs on me instantly. By the time I could load my weapon and get some skills up I was about half health. Just makes no sense to me.

Josh Randall likes this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Have you tried putting it on the non-combat bar? Sometimes one of those long cooldown spells can work from there, and begin you in combat with it on.

I think they make it less automated (autoattack not enabled by default/remembered, weapon drawn when combat bar is activated by a mob.. the other things you mentioned..) to be different and more manual, like the olden days. After all, a lot of the other mmo's automate things to the point of a couple clicks to run the game.. this isn't that kind of game. I think that's the reason and a 'feature'.. ymmv :D o_O

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Duncan O. McDermott and Cally like this.
  6. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

To quote Illidan (yes, I know, it's from WoW, so sue me) "You are NOT preared!" It is, as it is... you are simply not ment to be prepared instantly for combat. And yes, that could mean you have to run for your live uon entering a scene. I think that is absolutely intended.

Duncan O. McDermott likes this.
  7. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

A) For Pros:

Maybe for a few skills the initial cool down is a bit long. However having all skills 10 skills available at once may be to powerful. To be traded by Port in future balancing.

B) For Noobs:
    We have two systems in place.

You are currently using the "fixed glyph system".
    The advantage is that you have always exactly the skill you need at the key you set it.
    The disadvantage is the long cool down (already at start) and that you are not able to perform combos.

The alternativ is the "deck building system"
    The disadvantage is that you will get your glyphs dealt to you like in a card game slightly random.
    The advantage is, that the skills have nearly no cool down and you are able to put glyphs together to perform combos.

You can also mix theses systems to have some glyphs fixed and some glyphs in a deck.
    For more details see here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../begginers-guide-to-draw-deck-building.52341/

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm wondering what skill has a 30 second cool down. Would you mind revealing which one it is?

If all skills were immediately available without a cooldown when we drew our weapon, players would be sheathing and drawing their weapons all the time just to work around the cool downs. Then they would complain that they are being "forced" into such unrealistic behavior.:confused:

Spoon, Duncan O. McDermott and Cally like this.
  9. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I tried that now and like it very much Thanks for the idea.

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Ice shield is one I have not sure about Duncan's that is a 30 second cool down.

Duncan O. McDermott likes this.
  11. Duncan O. McDermott

I am not sure now which one it is until I get back in the game. some defensive skill if I remember right. I'll check and post back.

12. Duncan O. McDermott

Yes I am in a locked mode for skills. At most I only have 1 of 4 and no finished combos to use yet.

13. Duncan O. McDermott

Following your advice I am doing that now

14. Duncan O. McDermott

Even more confusing to me then. Why not? Why should the mob be more prepared for us than we for them when they don't know we are arriving but we do? :)

15. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

If it's a buff, then you can usually put it on your non-combat bar. Otherwise I'd suggest you look into draw deck building. There are no skill cooldowns in a draw deck, only a global cooldown that is very short.

16. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

This issue is driving me a bit batty with the combat system, combined with the relatively limited number of glyph spots there are a large number of relatively long buffs that I need to cast (in addition to the 6-7 I can cast from the non-combat bar).

Most of them have 15-30 second timers meaning not only do I have to put them on the combat bar, but they have to be unlocked and I need to load at least 2 of them into the deck to ensure they actually have a good chance to come up when they are needed.

17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It's just the rules...

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

Different skills have different cooldowns:

On my bar,
    • Escape is available first,
    • then my Blade skills are available,
    • then Dodge becomes available,
    • and then I can use my Subterfuge skills.
    Another way to balance the skills...

19. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Short defensive buffs get better with glyph level and with stacks.

The 10 slots can ~ 40 glyphs in a fully unlocked deck when you add 3+ deep.

If you can't have any prep time for buffing/stacking, perhaps look at the Focus Tree glyph for a dedocated slot, Mind Wipe. Fills up the bar instantly

20. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Thats not the point, if I want to cast ignite weapon at the start of the fight I want to cast ignite weapon, I dont want to stack it with glancing blows and 2 shield buffs and hope they come up in order and not duplicated while you know...fighting.

I have interchangeable attacks stacked it doesnt really matter which one comes up, they are all the "do damage" button. Buffs arent really interchangeable, each has its purpose.

And Im almost AL 80, I know how the glyphs level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.