3d sota?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I read that RG was interested in 3d goggles and was going to impliment it into sota is that true? It seems like a waste of valuable time and resources for such a small payoff in regards to the tiny amount of users that could even make use of it.

How many people even do 3d gaming. Out of those how many will play Sota it seems like the userbase for this would be such a small fraction. Mark cuban said that if you make a business you want to appeal to the broadest segment possible and the 3d idea seems to be the opposite. Id say go for it when theres nothing else to work on which will be never;p

2. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Think it has been put on hold for now. They are instead using the extra resources to improve the game. Many weren't fans of that stretch goal. :)

3. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Hallelujah i thought that sounded pretty out of touch

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Yeah, let's hate on anything that might set the game apart. There are many efforts being made on all fronts by many companies, the open source community that want to bring VR to everyone. It's one thing to suggest that resources are better used elsewhere but to try to assume everyone with the means and interest are "trust fund kids" is beyond ignorant. That is right along the lines with insulting those who didn't throw in for purely altruistic reasons.

The Unity libraries for stereo 3d are actually pretty good. I sure hope you don't end up reporting the players in the open source community for "using Shroud of the Avatar wrong." You post a lot of complaints about high level pledgers but has it ever crossed your mind that some of us may have started out at the dev+ level in hopes of having the means of making the game better? If it has, much of the vitriol that you post says otherwise.

Richard has always been a pioneer with interests in space and VR. It may not be a good business move but Portalarium may not have to put much effort into it as the avid dev community will probably try to make that happen if allowed.

Actually, if we can have VR and not housing for regular players EVER, I am all over it! (Just kidding!)

Lord Gréagóir and licemeat like this.
  5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think it was good foresight. The RIFT is the hottest thing in gaming right now as far as buzz goes. The issue is that it clashes pretty hard with the old school gaming feel people remember and ask about. It lends itself to a twitchier first person game rather than the direction they seem to be headed with conversations, combat, etc.

Mystic, Deus_Irae and Margard like this.
  6. stile

stile Avatar

Occulus Rift was one of the Stretch goals. While we have now surpassed that dollar amount, it was not met during the kickstarter. For them to add something like that when they are well into the development project it is a LOT harder then if they had started implementing it from day one (in short its hard to go back and re-do things). So in order to put out a more polished game they are going to continue to focus on the goals that where met during the kickstarter instead.

It's not off the table for possible future expansions, but its out for the first release.

rild likes this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I would play 3D SotA!!! So cool.

8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

It's not going to be long before things like OR becomes common in gaming, though I think they are going to have a lot of competition in coming years as well. Richard and Co are known for being pioneers and being the first to really hop on new things which is awesome because it really sets the bar for other companies to keep up.

That being said, the VR stretch goal is on hold from what we were told because they want to focus on core elements of the game at this point in time.

rild likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

rild likes this.
  10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I am just hoping that part of the rendering engine is left open to implementation but it might be best to keep us players from monkeying around with the first person camera too much because if any mechanics combat\los are based off of it the door could be opened for exploits.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

11. rendix

rendix Avatar

If the dev team is using horiz and vert axis predefined within unity, shroud should support the rift right out of the box by way of unity. I think the milestone was to better optimize its use within the game, which would otherwise be an issue.

12. DeftAvatar

DeftAvatar Avatar

The visuals are technically “easy”, it's SotA's UI that would require significant rethinking... The beloved full text entry conversation system would have to go, unless they hacked in voice recognition or something...

13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I keep imaging a really frustrating onscreen keyboard experience.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

14. smack

smack Avatar

Now that would be such an absolutely fun experience on a tablet. Even if you ignored chat, you'd still have to wrestle with the NPC conversation system on devices that don't have physical keyboards. Clickable keywords, anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.