5 story Mine Basement question

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

Makes sense and good points.

Like the story about the first large house... Remember the sense of achievement when my bro and I saved for a large smithy ourselves! Great memories.

It's becoming obvious SOTA won't be a re-hash of early UO. I'm not yet judging if that's good or bad. I loves early UO, I may love SOTA more.

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

That would be the impression of some users, correct.

However, those that fall into the thought pattern tend to be pretty disappointed with the direction of this game. Feel free to read the PvP forum for *many* examples of such.

This game appears to be more akin to the original Ultima than UO ever was. :)

Lord Baldrith and Mattsy like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thanks. That makes me feel better.

4. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I dont know anyone expecting an updated UO maybe hoping but not expecting. And can you really blame them for thinking that when portalariun uses language as ambiguous as spiritual successor. Its kindof like ordering a fish taco and wondering why there is no beef

5. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I dont think your fears are that justifiable as it likely looks to be nothing like UO and what you and some may consider flaws are just a great feature to others. If they are going to add a socioeconomic bearrier to gameplay by allowing real cash purchases i dont see whats wrong with allowing the other side of the coin ingame too. As long as you habe something others want you arent safe.

I have no means of getting a house without likely getting extremely lucky enough to have the chance to posibly buy one post launch for a grossly overpriced sum. It would be nice if everyone was on an even llaying field but since they decided to go the clas warfare route you will always have people that want what you have because design choices have prevented them from participating in what some take for granted like plot ownership. Likely none of this will be of consequence as the trend of a games are to be a ******** joke so your concerns likely wont come to fruition as people want maximum reward without any risk.

6. Cannibal Clown

Cannibal Clown Avatar

After reading this I found myself thinking of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs with his pit in his basement.. :p

Derium likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I burned my mine to buy other things......couldn't see the point in having one if it didn't function.

8. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Well it is your mine. As long as the same basement is available for purchase with in-game gold, I don't see an issue. Give it some resources and make it so those resources only respawn rarely, like maybe once a month. It'd be a cool little private mine that doubles as a bat cave when the veins run dry. :)

9. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I think is you are thinking about this option jsut for the "mining" is better that you choose another. Probably it will be more about the theme that a real mine. Anyway will not be that hard to mine outside, especially basic resources.

10. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I have to say, from an RP perspective, I had no idea why someone would dig a five story "basement" and "decorate it like a mine" if there's no metal to be mined.

That does sound a bit silly.

Just saying.

NRaas likes this.
  11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Perhaps, the mine dried out a while back, and someone built their house on top of the location later on.

To me, it sounds equally odd to build ones residence over top of an active mine shaft. :)

Lord Trenyc likes this.
  12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Or an abandoned mine shaft...

NRaas likes this.
  13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Real estate agent : "That old mine shaft ? No problem, it is as solid as can be, no chance of it ever collapsing. No siree."

Lord Trenyc likes this.
  14. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Avatar

Ability to mine without risk....not sure what the point of that would be. If this follows a similar course as UO, wouldn't there be areas able to be mined without risk due to guard zones? Not sure what would be gained through this. If you're worried about losing your key - keep it in your bank or a safe location not on your person.

15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The mechanics of mining in UO made the idea of "safe mining" pretty unattainable. Minoc had mountains quite close to the limits of town, but because of the popularity of mining there, it was a PK hotspot. Because ore was so heavy and running speeds were limited, a miner caught even ten feet outside the limits of town had no chance at all of escaping with his or her ore and only a slightly larger chance of escaping alive at all. Anyway, the situation in SotA will be different due largely to the difference in proposed PvP mechanics. NPC monsters are predictable, which makes mining pretty safe in a lot of places if you're even slightly clever. IMO if people have a problem with mining a basement, it should have more to do with convenience than risk. Mining similar metals outside of town isn't likely to be any more dangerous--just less convenient, due to having to haul back ore to be smelted in town or at home.

16. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Avatar

But is that the kind of game that people want? Something to feel 'safe' in? I remember mining around Britain heavily in a major area with (2) pack horses in a protected guard zone. I remember the issues with Minoc, which is why I chose Brit, much larger.

Seems these approaches would reduce your AFK resource gathers and farmers that ruin digital economies.

17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I'm not saying mining will always be safe everywhere. I'm saying a basement that allows mining should only allow low tier resources, like iron, and even not much of that. The low tier resources should be easy to obtain, yes. Otherwise you'll be looking at stupidly high prices on items and equipment that should be common.

18. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Avatar

I could see that as a valid training mechanism for early crafting - someone posted an IRC log with that in a similar regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.