50,000 players a month to be profitable. So how long do we have left?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Odd question. I thought it was extraordinarily obvious the comment was in relation to another comment that was directed at me, not life in general. Happy to have clarified for you.

Things have not changed so significantly, however, that the need for 50,000 regular players is has somehow radically changed. Even if you halve that number, it's still way more than we have.

I find it rather disturbing that there are clear needs sitting right in front of us, spoken about by the devs themselves -- not me!!! -- and some of you want to totally ignore it and think there's no issue.

At times like this, I just shake my head and don't know what else to tell you. It's sitting there, in black and white, and hardly any of you even want to acknowledge it's real, let alone talk about it.

Gorthyn likes this.
  2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Oh, and thank heavens for the Internet saving things. Start around the 7:30 mark. OP updated, too.

3. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

No, buy to play hopefully covers the expense of original development. Subscription and cash shop purchases are required for ongoing development and maintenance.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The question asked was a leading question focused on a false narrative. Fake news CNN style.

Imagine I show up at your workplace and ask, so how long before this business shuts down? What if I ask someone’s spouse, so how long before you two divorce? Leading questions with a thinly veiled purpose.

Stop patronizing us, it's obvious what the OP was attempting. The attacker is not the victim. This community is far more friendly than what the question warranted.

Elwyn, Sentinel2, Montaigne and 2 others like this.
  5. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

I would say at least till power grids go down seeing as even if the internet went down, we'd still have access to the game so... it's kinda like asking: how long does goldeneye have left? if you still have a functioning N64 then you could load it up and play it. The real question is how long do you plan on playing Sota and to answer that I would have to say until I'm not?

6. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Recent statements from Chris said that the game isn't going anywhere and that they can continue running the game into the future for around $100.00 per month given the server setup. Of course, that's not the same as adding new content, episodes, bug fixes, support, etc., but it is enough to see that it's not closing anytime soon and there is lots of time left.

7. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Well we can agree the 100k modest active users predictions was a bit off.

Either way this is a troll post and serves no purpose.

8. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

Thank you to all those who provided feedback!

Apostle, Sentinel2, Arradin and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.