A Guide to the Rise Expansion and the New Buffs Therein

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coswald_Dirthmire, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Hello! First things first, this new section is a lot of fun, and figuring out the puzzles with friends was an absolute blast. Obviously once you read this guide you'll never be able to do that with your friends, guild, or even an open party. Obvious, I know, but worth considering before reading further.

The new section of the rise starts at the Lich Room up top. I won't cover how to get there, as maps and walk-throughs already exist.
    [​IMG]

To get up to the entrance kill Elryn Nayer and use the invisible walkway. (The walkway doesn't spawn until Nayer is dead)

Once in the expansion section head to the first drop off and on to the practice dummy. This is the first floor of the drop tower, where the fun (and terror) happens. To drop from one floor to the floor below it you must kill and loot all enemies on the floor, in this case our wooden friend.

Counting the dummy floor as the first, you will pass through floors 1, 2, and 3 simply enough. On the fourth floor you will find a chicken, and a sealed doorway. Do not kill the chicken. Leave her feathery highness be. Killing all mobs except the chicken opens the door, and leads to a tamer buff of a very new style.

Note that once all mobs are looted and the chicken is skinned, the floor will drop. The bottom floor has two sealed doors, one on top of the other. To open them clear the room, including dummies, use the teleporter bubble that appears to teleport to the top of the drop tower, and clear the entire tower again all the way down (including the chicken).

You're racing the clock here, so kill as fast as possible. When you hit the bottom floor again, the doors should be open. (As a warning, there may be separate mechanisms to open the top and bottom door, but they have seemingly opened and closed together, or nearly together, for us).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's all we've found so far, I hope it's of some use to folks. Thanks to everyone I've been in party with over the last few days here, it has been an insane amount of fun to work through these puzzles with friends and fellow adventurers.

The buffs are new and interesting, they occupy their own channel (so don't cancel town buffs, 3 day buffs, etc) and you can only run one at a time. Grabbing one will cancel the other. The durations are interesting, part is 7 days, part is 24 hours, part is 4 hours. I was unable to reapply the tamer buff, either to refresh it or renew it after canceling. It makes me wonder if they are on a 7 day (or 24 hour, or some other) cooldown. I was, however, able to override it with other buffs, override those buffs, and reapply them again.

Time will tell, we'll all learn more, better guides will be made, and more fun will be had. For now, don't kill the chicken.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Owsley, Time Lord, Rinaldi and 11 others like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Amazing Guide! Glad I could be of help for this, the Rise runs were lots of fun, and we clearly had to run through it a few more times than we wanted to lol!

I think you should put more emphasis on "DO NOT KILL THE CHICKEN" because yeah just DONT KILL IT!!!

Time Lord, FrostII, Elgarion and 2 others like this.
  3. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Agreed we had a blast yesterday in this new part of the dongeon! Good job there Dev team!

Beware the Chicken!

4. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Great guide! Jotting down the link :) Thank you Coswald, and great job streamin btw :)

5. Coswald_Dirthmire

Hoping to get a group together over the next couple days and do a proper video guide, or at least just figure out more. Curious to see what others find as well, I think there's more to the bottom two doors than we discovered so far.

Praise from Caesar :)

Time Lord, FrostII, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  6. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

Great work brother! That defense buff looks juicy!

7. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Ill be coming to help if im online for sure

8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Me and some friends tried to get the defensive buff today, but the bottom doors won't open. Is it mandatory to open the tamer door first and then proceed to the bottom level? Or maybe we were too slow to be able to open the doors?

Thanks in advance!

9. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Nobody knows for sure yet, we've opened it a couple times and aren't exactly sure how, but it does seem speed related

Time Lord, FrostII, FBohler and 2 others like this.
  10. Coswald_Dirthmire

Man, I can't believe it's been 2+ weeks and I've not even been back there. So swept up in other new stuff this release and there's still this entire buff section to solve with only 2wks until we get another release with even more toys in it.

Time Lord, FrostII and Violet Ronso like this.
  11. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

@Chris @Elgarion Are we sure the door mechanics on the bottom level are working as intended? Every time we see them open, they slam shut like 5 seconds later. It's very frustrating (and hard on your gear) to fight your way down there at top speed over and over only to see the door slam shut in your face or never open at all and not be able to figure out why. We cook through those rooms so fast we have to wait for the floor to drop from under us, so I don't think it's a matter of not being fast enough. Please make sure it's working the way you want it to, or give us a clue what we're missing.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Time Lord, Sarek, Schulz and 4 others like this.
  12. Estroma Tólito

Estroma Tólito Avatar

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think that picture is blurry enough.

FrostII, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sorry for the necro, but was there ever a verdict on this?
    I've been gone for a while, have come back, and been fiddling around down here but have as yet not managed to figure out whatever mechanic is in place in the bottom room. Speed of killing doesn't seem to do anything (unless you need to like, insta-nuke the room) - we're pretty fast but have yet to see those bottom doors open in any circumstance. Unless the intent is only for like, full groups of 12 hardcore players being required to get this blessing - in which case, the blessing isn't nearly good enough to be worth that kind of mobilization? lol

The chicken thing's a cute thing to require for the taming blessing, I'm down with that.
    But the rest...? Has anyone got confirmed mechanics on opening those doors?

Time Lord, FBohler and Duursyrras like this.
  15. Duursyrras

Duursyrras Avatar

i'm back after around a year, and i'm curious too; caught wind of this and was contemplating going for it solo xD

Time Lord likes this.
  16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I hope some dev will shed light on this in the future.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, still wanting to know. We've gone down there and butchered everything repeatedly, still never seen bottom door open.
    Amassing an impressive collection of chicken carcasses...:x

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

19. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

@Anpu they are trying to open the bottom two buffs. You can't get down to them without killing the chicken. Tamer buff is all figured out but bottom two buffs have only been opened by groups powering through the whole tower over and over until they open. I agree its time for Chris to make sure those are working as intended.

FBohler and Anpu like this.
  20. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Hey is there a spot in your group? Maybe I can help with some DPS.

In game: Ulric Hildegard

FrostII and kaeshiva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.