Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A question for the power levelers out there...

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Retro, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

Yes, as @Themo Lock has stated, 1-2m should be ample. And from my testing, i stand firm behind Themo in that building up a pool causes skills to raise faster and i dont know if he said it, but my testing has also lead me to believe that an XP pool reduces the cost to raise skills.

And before I am pounced on by others, im not interested in your troll bait and wont argue or respond. you play your way, and i will play mine.

Albus and Retro like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not trolling, just trying to get the point across that you don't gain experience faster if you lock the skills you want to raise. You still have to earn that experience. If you leave them unlocked to raise while you're getting the experience, that saves a lot of time.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

But it can also waste experience. If you have a GM that you normally party with, you miss out on the GM bonus if it's going up without it, which, according to conversation today, is 10% exp saved, in addition to the exp conversion rate boost

Albus, Themo Lock and Retro like this.
  4. Retro

Retro Avatar

What adventure level are you? I played the same way till about level 62....after that leveling just felt super slow. I locked most of my skills, not all, built up a small pool 300k and I can already feel the difference.

You don't need to lock ALL your skills, as Themo said, just enough to keep the pool going upwards, that's what I started doing and it seem to be working... hence the original question.

Got all the info I was looking for thanks guys.

5. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Ya, you start noticing 'regular gains' again with 80+ skills

I snuffed all but 1 passive this weekend and just had my active battle skills enabled, grew a nice pool in Deep Ravenwood with 6+ mob pulls.

More xp per usage is req'd at higher levels

Retro likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Alcedes
    This is not troll bait.

Could you please explain what you mean by "an XP pool reduces the cost to raise skills" ?

I assume you meant to say that a LARGE XP pool reduces the cost to raise skills... right ?

Just need some clarification, if you could. ;)

Retro likes this.
  7. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

Yes, from my testing, it seems to me that a LARGE xp pool seems to reduce XP cost of skills. it needs more testing to get exact numbers for sure, but i am convinced there is something to this.

Retro and Albus like this.
  8. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

The question is, how exactly does it work. If people have the experience that a larger pool gives extra xp, then, well... , Im guessing here, like the rest of you..

You earn xp every time you kill (Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, more xp in that order)
    You use xp every time you use a skill
    When using xp, you get a bonus % of the size of your pool (for lower skills, the % is low, for higher skills % is higher)

Is it as simple as that?

9. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

Level 64. To be fair the pool is easier now to maintain now than it was at level 20, because I'm not levelling as many skills now, many of the tier 2' and 3's are where I want them to be so are locked.

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Give this man a COTO. You are exactly right beating the drum of reason.

11. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

lol So I've heard enough people that I trust say that it "seems" to make a difference that I've turned down the training so I bank some XP...although I've combed the material available and I've found nothing that indicates there is intended to be "bonus" xp given/applied if pool is large or while partied with GM. In fact the instructions say exactly the opposite regarding GM, "Note that Grandmastery does not affect how quickly you earn experience, just how quickly experience from the appropriate pool is consumed to advance the Grandmastered skill."

...but I do remember this one release many moons back. I was 99.999% to level 100 in bludgeon. There was just the slightest hair left to go. I must have spent 3 hours in that sewer and never GM'd. My XP pool was about at 0. The next day I think I banked a little XP then GM'd almost immediately. So it could be what's going on is that if there is not some minimum (depending on the skill/level) amount of XP in the pool then maybe it's getting consumed but not applied?

Lord Barugon likes this.
  12. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Skills pull a % of your pool. The larger your pool the faster a skill will level.

Lord Barugon likes this.
  13. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Not sure on the GM part, just wanted to comment on your second part. It should be a % of your pool that is used as XP. So if you are almost 100, which would require a lot more XP to level up, and you are close to 0, that would mean that it isn't getting a lot at all.

14. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Depends on the level of the skills you're raising and how you plan on using your XP. For me, I've always worked up to about 200k XP in the pool and then dumped it into one skill until I had around 50k left. At which point I turn the skills off and build my XP up.

However, now that I'm up to level 80+ in the skills I'm working on, I find that fluctuating around 500k works best now. I've been mostly dumping all of my XP into Shield of Air lately. I think it's going to be one of the best defensive skills in the game at really high level. It just takes a sh*t ton of investment before it becomes useful.

15. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

My question is whether there is something more going on than:
    (total) XP earned = (total) XP applied to skills + what's remaining in the pool (+ XP permanently lost due to unlearning penalty/decay)

If it were as simple as the above pool size wouldn't make a difference, in fact pool XP is "wasted" XP that is not applied (at the moment) to skills. There is an argument being made that by having "a lot" of XP in the pool, somehow more XP is getting applied to skills than what you are earning from killing mobs/quests, either via bonus from apprenticeship from a GM or merely by maintaining a large pool that somehow it is earning interest or lowering required XP to next skill level.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Dariog and Oba Evesor like this.
  16. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

This I've never noticed. I've always received the same amount of XP (when solo) from any particular baddie, no matter what my pool.
    Unless its the new GM development (two folks GM'd in the same skill).

17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Maybe the question should be, where are the powerlevelers getting mob xp? Or is it simply built up in time, to get to high pool amounts? Is this simply done at any old tier 5 area?

EtherBunny likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm hunting where I can actually achieve victory in combat; in 2 skull rated areas. I have about 6 skills that are being trained but, regardless, I still only get about 140 XP per enemy killed and the quests are just not in a reliable state. Turning off skills won't let me gain XP faster.

Hell, more often than not, the skills can't drain any XP because I have NONE to spare even before combat, and you need to kill something to get the XP in the first place.

So when I read about people saying "oh yeah, I got about 30k and I like to stay around that number", I have to wonder.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Acred and Fister Magee like this.
  19. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

So I'm no powergamer or anything of the sort (8-5 job, 2 kids, prego wife....gaming is sparse). I'm only adventure level 58. I hunt in the easier 5 skull zones or 4 skull, for easier kills. I'm also spread all over the board, except for: Ranged, Shields, Pole arm & Chaos magic. I have about 40 minimum of all my skills that I've unlocked, working on getting them to 50 (the ones I need anyways), and just raise like that. I pick a few actives (currently rend/coup de grace/thrust) and raise them by 10, then switch to something else I need and repeat. I don't raise my innates past 50, since I want to save those for later levels when I get several hundred thousand XP to blow.

Now that that's out of the way, what is your "class"? What skills do you use, utility spells, pets, etc?

Fister Magee and Alley Oop like this.
  20. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Correct, but building a good pool, does help level skills faster, in turn, you do more dmg, and move up to higher areas, thus gaining XP quicker.

Retro and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.