A Setting for the current system

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by chiromancer, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiromancer

chiromancer Avatar

Perhaps SOTA could add a final "tick" to its sliding scale of multiplayer interaction that enables full PVP. They'd be part of the real world with everyone else and able to interact with everyone, but would be attackable to all (those currently unflagged and flagged). This way, PKers could be "jumped" (which would subsequently flag the attacker as a murderer or, if there is a bounty system they can go collect their bounty). In a way, that would turn the table on the griefers. They can only grief each other or those poor souls who act carelessly or mercilessly by jumping out of the daylight (as opposed to needing to hide in the shadows).

Incentive of some sort could be given to play in full PVP mode or a reward given for a 100% open loot/PK enabled toon.

Within this, a number of things come into play:

1) Consensual, spontaneous Murder PK. Players either log in, knowing they are flagged for PVP or after they log in, they willingly attack another player. I say semi-Consenual because knowing you may be attacked and being attacked are different. This would almost always be an evil act or at least full vigilanty justice. If the entire world/server did this, it would be very similar to original UO.

2) Consensual, bounty-based Avenging PK. Players get bounties placed on their head that can be collected by anyone who qualifies to accept the charge. Bounties could be done by the player on a town message board or, for especially evil characters, by the "divine" or some other institution that can tap into players virtue (or lack there of). This would usually be a good act as they'd be officially charged with a task. This could allow official and sanctioned APK guilds. Bounties need not always be listed for specific characters, but be more generic to allow field justice to be done by those in an official role (rather than just a vigilanty acting on their own)

3) Consenual, planned Dueling PK. Players (PK-flagged or not). Players challenge each other to a duel to the death. I am thinking along the lines of Mal vs Atherton in the Shindig episode of firefly. Obviously, this could also be linked to a specific skill. This type of action could be good, neutral or evil depending on a number of factors, but since it would have to be fully consensual, I'd call it neutral. This could allow comradery, showmanship, bragging rights and scores to be settled in a way that won't flag full PVP (option 1) but allow duels to the death (or for less "reward" to submission).

4) if nothing else, a system in place that is both unique and a compromise that works within the system as it already exists.

Thanks for taking the time to consider an idea like this!

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

People would complain that those who are full time PvP would operate at a disadvantage, since they would be subject to PvP 24/7, but others could develop their characters in peace in SPO, and only come attack a PvPer after they are fully buffed out.

I would prefer my suggestion for full PvP for a separate mode that recreates UO:Siege Perilous. Your SP character cannot play, SPO/FPO/OPO, and those players could not play SP, then there is no question that you developed your character in a 'safe' mode, and it is 100% consensual.

3. chiromancer

chiromancer Avatar

I agree they would complain, but to this I say let them. It would be a true turn of the tables. I would also say allow people to flag themselves permanently and be able to display it (perhaps a unique portrait border). If someone casually wants to PVP they should be able and if that means hardcore PVPers can be griefed... I welcome it!

To me, you have two conflicting fields. Business choices will come to make a PVE game that incorporates some PVP (a la WoW, it's a bandaid) vs an organic RP game where players are fully in charge of the world and their experience with it.

It would allow for the maximum amount of immersive and emergent gameplay if you force full PVP with open looting. No other game has matched UO, the closest main stream is Eve, but that is a whole different thing altogether. But, from a financial standpoint you need the Bulk that is the care bearers. Make a system that fluidly mixes the two worlds (the opposite of Trammel) and I think you have a real winner.

With that said, if SOTA does come into being with a real PVP system, I know between my friends and the gifts I'm prepared to give, another half dozen to dozen immediate friends would pledge to back. Otherwise, they are prepared to see if the "single player with friends" game has enough of a story to play through like most of the rest of RG's works have been.

4. Haddy G

Haddy G Avatar

<cite>People would complain that those who are full time PvP would operate at a disadvantage, since they would be subject to PvP 24/7, but others could develop their characters in peace in SPO, and only come attack a PvPer after they are fully buffed out.</cite>

I'm not sure that will matter with how the skill system and combat works. That random skill element should keep combat interesting regardless if your buffed or not. If the game throws a bunch of bad skill picks you could still lose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.