A Smoke, Friend?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Myth2, Aug 23, 2013.

?

Would You Like to See Smokable Items in SotA?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2013.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I Don't Care.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. I'm Sick of Dichotomous 'Yes/No' Polls.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm Sick of OPs Adding Poll Options Needlessly. It Takes Away From the Data.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Smoking tobacco shouldn't be addictive because, well, it isn't. Smoking Britannian crack, tho, should be.

2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Smoking tobacco is physically addictive (many academic journals, and the surgeon general agree). I would like to see something akin to Britannian crack though. For our TES fans here, I'd like something similar to Skooma. For RP purposes, I'd love to have an addiction to something very expensive that provides side-effects or visualizations. "please, just one more bottle sir *hic*"

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

smoking kills millions, is highly addictive and is targeted at hooking those who have the least ability to defend themselves from the marketing (adolesants who's frontal lobe still hasn't developed and the mentally ill)

No this game shouldn't be lauding it as good or fun, even passivily. If it is in there it should be the truth, your character should get incurable lung cancer and\or COPD and be unable to move and breath.

4. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

There is merit to your post Asguard. I do not believe that tobacco should be in this game either (I strongly dislike it). Dwarfweed on the other hand (or something similar to LOTRO's smokables) may be more fitting. I imagine whatever is added to the game to be smoked (if anything), will be fictional. Beer on the other hand must have you very concerned, as it is a real world item being directly placed into the gaming world for minors and adolescents to consume.

5. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Here we go again. Oh god.
    Blood and gore as well is going to be present in the game. For minors and adolescents to behold.

6. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I'm not complaining about this inclusion for the record. I just wanted to point out that smoking is not the only mature theme that we might see in SotA. Tbh, I see the problem with mature content a result of the industry-regulated (in USA at least) rating system which places the majority of games at the mature rating without genuinely restricting their audience.

7. High Baron Asguard

Its not just minors, when I said that its targeted at those whos brains haven't finished developing (specifically the frontal lobe which is what handles reasoning and planning) I mean it is those up to the age of 25 and the mentally ill can be any age but again its more likely to be young adults in that age group.

8. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Art thou a man of science or a docter?

9. High Baron Asguard

Interesting wording, no I am not a doctor.

If you want resurch to back that up here you go

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892678/

another interesting artical on the implications of this
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468
    and another
    http://www.acpeds.org/the-college-s...g-issues/the-teenage-brain-under-construction

Could keep going

10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I'm afraid my frontal lobes are unable to grasp the wisdom of these manuscripts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.