Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Adding up the damage resist on armor doesn't equal the damage resist total

Discussion in 'Release 28 Dev+' started by jiirc, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

1.Title: Adding up the damage resist on armor doesn't equal the damage resist total
    2.Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3.Blocker? No
    4.Details: So the damage resist now shows up on the paper doll. If you add up the damage resist showing on the tool tips for the armor you are wearing and compare it to the damage resist that appears along with the stats, they aren't the same. If you take a piece of armor off, the damage resist deducted from the total doesn't correspond to the tool tip's damage resist value.
    5.Steps to Reproduce:
    - I have knight marshal helm (3.3 resist), bronze epic plate chest (4.8 resist) bronze epic plate legs (3.5), founder plate gauntlets (2.2), copper epic boots (2.2) [total: 16]
    - open your character sheet (c by default)
    - looking at the bottom of the sheet you'll see a line that tells you your resist and avoid (under the str/dex/int line)
    - my resist is 16.7 (max 54.7%)
    - comparing the sum total with the displayed total you should see that there is a difference
    - remove the helm [the displayed value should be 13.4 or possibly 12.7), the displayed value is 13.7 (which is also 16.7 - 3 which is the bare bones value of the knight marshal's helm (not the adjusted value for a 10% armor bonus)
    - remove the legs armor, the displayed total becomes 13.5 (but should be 16.7 - 3.5 (13.2) or 16 - 3.5 (12.5))
    6.User Specs: QA 334

FrostII likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

10% modifier for suits?? :)

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I'm not sure that modifier explains the discrepancy. It shows on the tool-tip as part of the piece's resist number (ie. 3+.3). That's the number that I used.

I remembered that I had the earth resist as well. But that doesn't account for the discrepancy either.

FrostII and Weins201 like this.
  4. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The missing piece in your calculations is the Deflection skill. The current tooltip is vague, using a unique stat called "Damage Deflection Bonus", which gives a variable bonus to max resist based on the amount of max resist that you are getting from your armor. I have changed the tooltip to reflect this. I hope this helps :)

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

How does damage deflection get calculate. What is it a percentage of? Do individual pieces have damage deflection attached to hem that doesn't show up in the tool tip for the armor pieces?

6. wizardsmoke

No, there are no extra stats. As your max resist from armor increases, Deflection gives you a little less max resist. This is done to keep max resist balanced.

7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@wizardsmoke, @Attenwood

Further exploration has shed some light onto this issue.

So I took off all my armor and saw that I had a base resist of 1.1 from somewhere. (Still exploring this for my own sanity.)

I slowly added my armor back on while paying attention to the total resist.

First I put on my cloak (Oops missed that it had some resist on it previously. But adding it in gives me 17.1 in resist instead of 16.7)
    Putting on the cloak adds 1 resist to my total. Adding a chest piece shows that I have 1.1 resist according to the cloak tool tip, but the extra .1 isn't being added to the resist total. Only the base amount (+1) is added to the resist.

Next I add my chest piece. This has an increase of 3.3 and it shows up as an additional 3.3 in the total. It is interesting to note that the chest piece shows 3.3 even when it is in the inventory, while my cloak didn't show any bonus resist when in the inventory.

Next I add my legs. The legs show a bonus resist even when in inventory and this bonus is added to the total resist when they are worn.

Next lets add gloves. The gloves don't show a bonus resist when in inventory, they show just a base resist of 2. When the gloves are equipped the total increases only b the base amount, the bonus is excluded.

Next I do my boots. The boots don't show a bonus resist when in inventory, When I equip them a bonus is shown but that bonus is not added to the total. Only the base amount is added to the total resist.

Same behavior is seen with the helm. The bonus doesn't show in the tool tip when in inventory and isn't included in the total when it is equipped.

So of the wearables the ones that showed a bonus when they were in inventory had the bonus added to the total when they were equipped.

Of the wearables that didn't show the 10% armor bonus, none of the bonuses were added to the resist total.

In the end some of the equipment resist bonuses aren't being included in the resist total.

8. wizardsmoke

This behavior is as expected if you have the Deflection skill. The Deflection skill gives you an overall bonus, but that bonus decreases as you put on more armor. So, putting on a piece of armor while you have the Deflection skill could result in it appearing that the armor added less to your resist than it should have. I think this will make more sense after you see the new tooltip for Deflection.

It is also worth pointing out that the stats displayed are not exact. They only show one decimal place, so 1.1 could actually be 1.123.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.