Advertising :-( Sorry but this needs to be dealth with early on :-(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Another reason to hate the multiplayer aspect. The immersion is pushed more and more into the background and with it the believability of the world.

2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

maybe they could add advertising on the sotamap. Its in game now but its an optional map. Players could go to sotamap.com and purchase advertisements there. The vendors could be marked on the map and hovering over could drop a context box.

The Obsidian Eye and Time Lord like this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If you "isolate" yourself and choose what PoTs are for you and a bit tolerance it's still an immersive environment.
    I for myself always call the strange winged or whatever people Skraelinga.
    Southlanders ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I can't get this picture out of my head:

AragorntheLeetMasta554 reaches the city of POT_Minas_Tirith_61:Beer_is_Free where a cloned vendor with the name of ObsidianSword_ForSale_20%OFF!!!111 waits for him. Gimli$1=?P2 and LeG0LaSSS engage the hordes of Mordor which constantly respawn. Éowyn6&554 kills the Witch-King of Angmar together with MarryTheBrandyofBock4 and loots his corpse. A few seconds later the Witch-King respawns and Éowyn_332 kills him together with MerryBarndybuck3& and loots his corpse. AragorntheLeetMasta554 reaches POT_Minas_Tirith_61:Beer_is_Free where ankhs and chairs are stacked into the sky and the cloned vendors offer cheap items, while the NPCs go about their business as if no orc army is attacking the city - after all they can't destroy the city, so why have fear? AragorntheLeetMasta554 wonders why POT_Minas_Tirith_61:Beer_is_Free is called the White City when Lighthouses stand next to Viking houses and houses in trees with snowmen and Christmas trees in front of them...

Yes, that is an immersive and exciting story...

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I feel the pain :rolleyes:

When i was going to LARP s and we did "serious viking reenlarpment" we dealt with cat people, half dragon demon knights and elves 1.5m tall and wide. Dwarfs whos mother was a Troll and therefore he was 1.9m tall etc. etc.
    Well Viking Mythology allows a lot of Interpretation and we always was ready to be ironic and dont take it too serious.
    Well in the end we need people to get silver from and what we like to rob and maybe kill. Strange Wizards, bad played Animal beeings and the 16year old dark knight with demon horns and a sword what in reality would weicht more than himself, but wielding it like a conductor stick :p
    We allways had fun to first talk to them and then... :eek::D

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I can't see why we need to see pet names on the overworld map. Maybe make it another checkbox option. I've been playing with a phoenix pet a lot lately, and you can't summon those on the overworld anyhow.

That might be nice if their "appearance" was more than a few dozen pixels in 3rd-person camera view. It might look better on your own screen, but not everyone is playing on a huge screen with uber resolution. And then there's the basic issue that it's hard to make yourself look truly distinctive with the current character model system.

You forgot to include the xXxSephirothxXx type of names.

Dirk Hammerstrike and Time Lord like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Its crazyness, turn off nameplates dont stop to read pet names imop. No need to hire 50 people to follow pets or vendors arround to name check.

8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I was gonna say.
    Seriously immersion ruining? The big glowing names over head should do that no matter what they say.
    Play with nameplates off.

Why do people who dont care about immerssion play the game? I dunno.. entertainment?
    If you want complete immersion, play single player.
    Otherwise guess what, MMO mode should focuse on important MMO factors, for people here to PLAY A GAME, not *live another life! * If you want THAT deep of immerssion, you have other options.

Whats next, policing * immerssion breaking character names! *

9. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

I thought to myself "Finally, someone other than me doesn't like the nameplates for all those NPC towns next to each other". I mean they're ok.. I guess... but I don't think there should ever be more than 1 on the screen at a time, unless given the option to disable them all. Perhaps they could shrink all the brittannies into "Brittanny".

If pet names are bugging you then there is an option in-game already to disable names, the default key is "n". Perhaps in the future we can also have a way to disable drawing pet names only.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Dirk Hammerstrike and Time Lord like this.
  10. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

Also what about guilds? I really don't care what guild people are in and don't need to see that information either.

*Usually the guild names are longer than the player names. smh

**breaking my immersions man

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Curt

Curt Avatar

Unfortunately anything a player can name and others see is subject to abuse.
    For pets could have so only the player that named it could see the name.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Audio too.
    We need to be able to disable audio from emotes, player music, etc...
    It'd be nice to be able to only hear audio from party, or guild, or players in friends list.

13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

While there's obviously an argument to be made that things like this make the game less immersive, that's not the only argument to be made against it. If someone is using a game mechanic to gain an advantage that they aren't really meant to have, that can be a bad thing, regardless of whether or not there are any immersion issues. Some things are also just tacky or annoying.

It's also not the case that having a rule against this type of thing would necessarily require anyone to spend any significant time policing. There are some rules that really shouldn't exist unless they can be strictly enforced, because it creates a situation where those willing to break the rule gain some huge competitive advantage over those that follow the rule. This doesn't fall into that category, and even if it did, the overt nature of advertising makes it about the easiest possible thing to police.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I would like to destroy, ähh, turn off, the piano in Soltown! :eek:
    Its horrible and dissuasive for new player.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The thread shows that FM or SPO is neccessary.
    The ignorance of some people who try to make the topic ridiculous is frightening.

I am glad to have the possibility to segregate myself and immerse like i want to, but its sad to see this elitist attitude.

It reflects reality

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well said.

17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Fair enough, except the sheer fact is that in many cases these cases of *immersion breaking* completly contradicts with other peoples version of entertainment.

Lets use this as an example, as ive already stated, me and guildies often use pet names as fun jokes and gags and just something to laugh at to break the mundane experiance. This upsets someone, that i named my pet something silly, so now they want this removed because their immerssion is more important than my entertainment?
    Theres a pretty fine line here, as in this exact example, you HAVE the option to isolate yourself from *sillyness * or the entertainment of other people that might break your immerssion. If you make adjustments the opposite way, i dont have another way to find entertainment in this silly stuff.

Simply put, immersion / single player minded people, dont get to over-rule for their desire, what is other peopels entertainment. Especially not when there is other modes to isolate you. If you want Immerssion WITH the full multiplayer crowd, you have steps to cut down on the breaks already ( as stated - Name plates off ) .. but its a pretty unrealistic request to hope that everyone in MMO wants to play the way you do.

I mean before this we had peopel complaining about how others decorated their lots. Saying its breaking their immerssion and there should be something to prevent it! Your right, your personal desire not to play in single player, but be in multiplayer, i should totally decorate and play the way you want to see it. This was a redicoulous argument as well.

I sure as hell dont care about immersion, and i shouldnt loose entertainment value because someone wants it all to fit their idea of *an immerssive multiplayer world*

Edit - Its a shame that the single player mode is so weak to play, but the reality is the MMO mode is missing the same things as the single player in most aspects. So it is what it is, and thats a completly different issue.

18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Agree, was no real offense , except that making the concern ridiculous isn't fair.
    As I stated there a ways to circumvent , all is fine and I just wanted to say good to have FM .

Taste of humour, names, immersion etc is like you say a pretty fine line.

As a true MMORPG the Game would fail, but not only because of this.
    It cannot conceal it's SP origin

Time Lord and MrBlight like this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Which basically says that the whole concept of the game is not working.
    Maybe it would work if the offline mode would be a great game, a game developed on its own like Cloud Imperium does with the SP campaign of Star Citizen. But this is not the case.
    Yes, compromises have to be made but they are mostly made at the expense of the immersion and single player. There is nothing there yet. Why are those people who want an immersive game less important than those who do not want immersion?
    In offline mode SotA plays like an offline MMORPG. Who needs this? Richard Garriott said that SotA would be "a very high-quality story-driven single-player game". So where is it? It is a subpar single-player game because the MMO elements are always more important. But they don't work in a single-player game and in the end, SotA will be rated and judged in this regard, too. It's a shame...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.