Advice - Combat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michellia, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

Well these are my stats. Cannot seem to fight much above 2nd lvl.
    A large brown spider , I can handle, two kills me.

Armour:
    Plate helm
    Epic Plate chest Armour
    Epic Plate Leggings
    Cloth Gloves
    Epic Leather Boots

Weapons:
    Main: Long Sword of Shocking 4-13 dam, 0.1% Melee Damage, 10% Attack Speed, 200 air damage
    Second hand: Hunting dagger 3-10 dam, 20% critical

Skills
    Blades:
    Blade Combat: 73
    Thrust: 35
    Double Slash: 34
    Riposte: 20
    Rend: 27
    Whirling Blades: 19
    Coup de Grace: 2
    Blade Speed: 30
    Vital Points: 43
    Blade Mastery: 29

Heavy Armour:
    Glancing blow: 26
    Body Slam: 4
    Inner Strength: 5

Deflection: 59
    Hard Headed: 40
    Endurance: 40

Focus:
    Heightened Awareness: 32
    Train Intelligence: 24
    Quick Swapping: 33
    Inner calm: 29

Tactics:
    Healthy: 33
    Armour Preserve: 34
    Weapons Preserve: 33
    Train Strength: 26
    Heavy Lifter: 33
    Parry: 14
    Offhand Attack: 1

so what am I doing wrong, that I cannot fight much of anything.

Do I need 100 in everything?
    Do I need super magic weapons and armour ( which I will never be able to afford )?

Just some strategy advice please.

Big red spiders and such no chance of killing. They hit for 50+ I heal for 14.

thank all

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I made this guide that may be helpful
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...what-is-going-on-a-sota-leveling-guide.41503/

There is nothing wrong with your skills but you will get stronger as they level up, you could use more strength and dexterity also. Adventure level matters a fair bit with PVE, as your adv level increases you have better defense and higher chance to hit higher level monsters. Try some lower level monsters for now ^.^

3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

What is your adventurer level? If you hit the V key, it should show you.

Currently, there is a horrid little behind the scenes design that is 100% based on your adventurer level for how often you hit the enemy and how often it hits you. Secondly, I'd recommend avoiding spiders 100%. They are broken and OP with the current web attack design.

As for armor and skill set, you look well set up, I think the underlying problem may just be that its multiple spiders you are fighting. I'd recommend working on tier 3-4 elf and bandit fighters as well as the normal animals (non-spider variety).

I have a large red spider as a pet and it has died to 3 of the smallest web slinging spiders before. That is just frigging ridiculous when it can kill most things at T4-5 in a one on one situation to have it die to a handful of nothing mobs in a T1 location.

***Also, Themo the uber ninja not only beat me but tossed up the link I was looking for. 8^p

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

How are you decks set up, looks like you should have a fixed deck, look at my ranger training deck and swap out your blades skills for the ranged ones

I would have 1 - 5 blade skills 6 - 8 defensive and buff skills and 9 and 10 healing skills

with that you should be able to be in Auto Attack for the extra hit and work thru the skills and buuf / defend and heal.

It is NOT oyur skills more likely how you are using them.

If you find me in game later ill be happy to help out but deffinatly lookt at themos links and see if that helps

Grumpie Weinie

5. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

My adventure level is 36.

Thanks all for the advice

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Here is my locked Bludgeons Deck
    [​IMG]

I would not use an unlocked deck until you have all you warrior skills with at least 3 or 4 cards avail.

I would substitute you blades in 1 - 6 like I said 7,8 as defensive and buffs, and 8 ad 9 healing stuff.

Only after the ability to have 3 or 4 of your base skills would I suggest a Hybrid Deck :)

Good luck .

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

At 36 you should be able to handle nightshade pass pretty easily (no spiders) with your gear. Just avoid the troll and try to get stuff one on one (the mages and archers can be an issue if you let them swarm you).

You might be able to tackle some stuff in T4 zones... but unless you have a pet or summon for assistance it can quickly get overwhelming at that level.

Eastreach gap should also hopefully be within your range (unless you try to hold the control point).

If you are on the hidden vale side... I'd suggest looking into plains of righ inis (not sure on spelling) but be aware there are LOTS of spiders, so run past the spiders and kill the skeletons and wolves. The two desert scenes in there are possibly above you currently (those elementals hit hard) but you might be able to find something in there you can manage (don't remember scene names).

Currently, I'm lvl 39 but a purist mage (which is really sucky currently as everything revolves around melee currently, but you shouldn't have the issues I do) and most of those scenes I can handle fairly well by selectively pulling mobs.

8. agra

agra Avatar

Would be nice to know what Strength and Dexterity actually do, as in how they affect weapon types like Bludgeon or Blades.
    No information in-game, no canonical answer from any dev on the forums. :confused:
    Is it just DEX for everyone, and add STR if you're melee and add INT if you're a mage? Who knows?
    What's the difference between attack power and attack skill? What affects crit chance, weapon damage, and if applicable, skill or combo damage, depending on weapon?
    So ridiculous that not even the basics are known, this far into development. :oops:

Cally, Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yes, yes it is.

I try to keep all 3 balanced personally. But I'm a magic user (so I'm hoping INT actually does something), in light cloth armor (so I'm hoping DEX actually does something), that currently gathers lots of stuff (so at least STR I know ups carry limits... so it does something).

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, actual stats are meaningless compared to ADV LVL.

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Acred

Acred Avatar

Hello, Michellia!
    Yes, spiders are the meanest on the open landscape.
    I see you are training Heavy Armour. Maybe you would benefit from using chest, leggings, gloves and boots from Plate (helmet is optional) to get the extra set bonus?
    And eat food when adventuring in tough areas - Bark bread, or whatever you can cook/buy.
    Every small advantage helps. :D

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I did not see that WHY are you wearing Cloth Gloves and Leather Boots? Get the whole plate set.

12. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

I buy what I can when I can. Its all i could afford with repairs.

13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I'm headed home. If you are still on in an hour Michellia I can get you outfitted with a full plate set and hopefully enough repair kits to keep you for a while.

Oba Evesor and FrostII like this.
  14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Forgot how stupid california drivers were in the rain. Still about 30 minutes out.

Ice Queen and Oba Evesor like this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok got it, suggestion then is from now on since you are going to use Plate, (and don't let someone change your mind) don't buy mixed pieces, save up, (and for these releases) go find which vendor has Augmented Plate and buy those. Also for these releases IT IS ALOT CHEAPER TO JUST BUY NEW PIECES (sorry for caps but need to get point across) then to repair them. You are spending WAY more money repairing the piece then you would if you just bought new ones. Wear them until they are like 5 durability left then just sell them for what they are worth and buy new ones.

So - Find Augmented Plate Dealer (I think Soltown) and buy new pieces not repair them.

And stick with heavy Armor get used to the skills there and like what you are learning. Don't let someone talk you out of it for economy reasons. Plate I correct for a Swords template.

When the game launches where you get armor might be an issue, but we will see when we get closer to release.

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yeah repair is only helpful if you are stuck somewhere without a backup set of armor and it hits 0 durability. If you have two sets of armor or just stay on top of it you should be fine.

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Don't waste time / money on repairs - Sorry. If it hits 0 leave and get a new piece, you should have made plenty of money for a new pieces since your last purchase. the cost of a repair kit is never worth it for any piece of armor you can buy for less than the cost of 3 kits.

This is of course just for these releases - when we get to a point where Aug Plate Chest is no longer avail - - - -

Sorry Solainia - Plate Chest Piece 380 - Repair Kit 400 :-( Don't waste money on repairs EVER

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    FrostII likes this.
  18. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Id suggest grabbing some spells and more skills if you plan on soloing a lot.

Id suggest getting Root and more stun / crowd control ones.
    This will allow you to deal with multiple targets.

Unless you are doing a certain RP build, no reason not to use magic.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Although these are not bad ideas, what you have now works, stick with it, use get your healing up and once you get at least 30 in your tier twos THEN and ONLY then would I expand into the earth tree and its spells. Root works very well now but I would expect a HUGE change in the near future.

What you have is a GREAT start Work with it, learn it and how to expand it. Then expand further into some more offensive / defensive additions.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

A bunch of good advice from some very good players...

My only question is HOW do you heal at all? o_O
    Thinkin' you forgot to list that part.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.