afk gathering/operations

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by InsaneMembrane, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Bad: People have brought up afk resource gathering.

Worse: Some actually think it is a good idea.

Solution: Just don't allow it. For the love of everything that is Virtuous, just don't.

Afk gathering is just plain lazy, the only possible person that I could see would want it, not require, could be someone like me with a full time job and little time to invest daily in an MMO. I wouldn't use it though and I don't in other games I play like anything Cryptic/Perfect World. I prefer to spend money in game for the special currency rather than resort to a ludicrous concept like afk gathering.

Also closely related. I think that "vendors" or whatever mechanism will be used to sell/auction player created content should be very limited. I have done a lot of very careful calculations and I believe the number of items that they should be able to hold and sell at any given time is.... *rolls 1d20 10 times* beyond a doubt 9.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I can't say I agree with vendors having a restricting limit. I see no design or mechanical reason for it.

I do however agree with no AFK harvesting or anything else for that matter. If you're not playing then you shouldn't get any benefit for just being logged in taking up space.

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Actually I would change that slightly to include offline players into the "afk" category. If you log out, everything should stop. So agree on this.

For the vendors, I have no idea or opinion at this point on how to handle what they do when you log out. The trend is quite clear, auction houses are always up and they take a percentage cut. I am not fond of that system, but am not geared towards coming up with a solution on such things.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't think individual players should have this. But I'm not opposed to the idea that if some faction controls some tower that this makes an NPC mining operation happen. And that disrupting this or not might change the prices of materials in the town.

Looking at the neverwinter crafting system. While there's a lot not to love, I do like the thought that you can have some assistant and have that person doing either gathering, refining, or crafting. In this case 1) you have to earn the assistant somehow, 2) there's an opportunity cost to what it does so nothing's really free and 3) it's not amazingly efficient. It's really just send my guy out for the next 6 hours to gather wood.

As for the vendors, I'm not really a fan of make to stock. For most goods, there should be a make to order system. I give someone 100 gold, 6 hours later the vendor had the chain mail for me. Insead of limiting how much someone can stock, the limit is on how many suits of chain mail someone can make in a day.

5. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

PrimeRib mate what you are talking about is the exact opposite of my thread. Go get your own thread if you want afk gathering and even afk CRAFTING.

Crazy stuff.

6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Once again, what benefit is there in having paid for a vendor if there is more advantage selling from the bazaar?

7. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Az, this is about afk gathering. Not vendors or bazzars or currency.

"Stay on tarrget, stayyy on tarrrrget!"

8. High Baron Asguard

"Also closely related. I think that ?vendors? or whatever mechanism will be used to sell/auction player created content should be very limited. I have done a lot of very careful calculations and I believe the number of items that they should be able to hold and sell at any given time is?. *rolls 1d20 10 times* beyond a doubt 9."

Sorry i think that is a stupid idea. If anything I think that bazaars should be limited vendors unlimited to encourage people to shop in houses

9. Hew

Hew Avatar

Right...I think AFK crafting or resource gathering is a pretty terrible idea.

At the most, an NPC companion can come along and help out with things, but the benefit should be fairly modest and most definitely cease once you log off or stop gathering/crafting yourself.

10. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Realism. Where is your vendor going to store 100,000 swords? What level of physics have they developed which will allow them to stash even 1,000 swords in their modest house? Don't break my immersion by allowing silly things like this in the game. Should be a reasonable limit on everything.

Yes Hew, companions and pets are cool, but I dont know still if they should be allowed to gather or craft. Help with combat sure, heal you sure. Go get things or deliver things for you to places, craft and gather? no....

11. Hew

Hew Avatar

Why put companions in the favour of combat oriented players only? Ignoring pets, since it makes no sense that a dog could mine ore, why should crafters and/or resource producers get the shaft on companions?

If I were strolling through the streets of a city in New Brittania and happened upon some random bloke looking for a job, it's far more likely he'd be able to properly wield a pick axe to mine some ore than be able to properly wield a sword to help attack some thieves, from a realism point of view.

12. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I do suppose it depends on the method of resource collection. It is true enough, if there is someone there with you real-time being an NPC or other player; helping you fight something would in essence be the same as helping you get something in terms of assistance.

I still maintain though, if you are not on the same "game screen" or if you are not logged in, the entity assisting you should not have any ability to do anything at all.

13. Hew

Hew Avatar

I agree, your companion should be in the immediate vicinity.

14. High Baron Asguard

I could care less where they are stored, if I'm a crafter I want to benifit from being a crafter and I don't care if its not realistic

15. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Well Az, I guess we can at least say that your an honest Gen Y baby in any case.

I'll tell you what, when SotA was announced I was a PKer, and I wanted to benefit from being a PKer and I didn't care if it was realistic either. But you know what? When they made the impossible for me, I didn't rag on them endlessly.

So let us play, Lets Make A Deal, Az.

You get your crafters, both real-time and when you log out you can still have 100 crafters all doing the work for you so when you log in, you can click the WIN button and all of their raw materials get stocked in your USS Enterprise Holodeck Vendor Ship and they just magically replicate all the goods for you. Not a problem. The catch is, your little protection slider bar which hides you from my eyes and my sword doesn't work for your minions, so you could log in and next to every single one of them you might find: "Killed by InsaneMembrane"

Deal?

16. High Baron Asguard

Who said I wanted to have people doing crafting for me?
    I said that I don't care if you don't think its realistic, my vendor should hold everything I make that I want to sell

17. Hew

Hew Avatar

@Asguard, as a fellow crafter I'm disappointed that you would sacrifice realism for convenience. Of course there is a balance to realism vs convenience, but in this case, at least to me, having some sort of physical limit (i.e. storage space) is a pretty basic one. Of course we all want something different.

The parallel on the combat side would be to say that a combat character can carry an unlimited number and diversity of weapons so he always has the perfect weapon for any possible encounter. It's way too unrealistic for me and I wouldn't want that...but there are probably others out there who would.

@InsaneMembrane, I don't understand your obsession with turning a decent discussion into an insult match.

18. High Baron Asguard

As i said the vendor mechanic was supposed to be an advantage, that's why it was offered as a reward. Now it shouldn't be overwhelming but on the other hand it shouldn't be more convenient for people to shop at the bazaar because otherwise whats the point? Cost alone isn't enough, just look how things are in the real world, do we have the majority selling from there house or is it from Big W? Big W of course because they have more stuff so its more convenient for the buyer because they can get a range of things from the same store. How do they ensure that this doesn't happen? Well limiting the number of items held by a vendor certainly wont help the situation

19. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

@Hew - kind of because this was to be a discussion on afk gathering and ops rather than on where to place vendors and short sighted personal opinions like;

"Who said I wanted to have people doing crafting for me?
    I said that I don?t care if you don?t think its realistic, my vendor should hold everything I make that I want to sell"

If Az wants to talk about where to sell, he can pop in a new topic in the forum and I'll discuss it there. Otherwise its just another 470 hijacked thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.