Alleviate Repeat PKing

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by LordSlack, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

There is a lot we do not know about the PK system, but we do know that one of SotA's features is the selective display of players around you.

If you are PK'd by a single PK or a group of them out in the world, the game could selectively remove these players from loading into your world again for a certain amount of time. Could be 30 minutes, could be 8 hours. If you wish to seek revenge on your killer, you could select an option on death or resurrection, much like reporting a murder in UO, that would either enable or disable any players who have done damage to you from loading back in to your world when you return.

This way, if you are the victim of a player bandit attack, you would not need to suffer the same fate over and over again trying to cross a particular bridge and the entire "camping" aspect of PKing would be eliminated. PKs would only have the option of hunting fresh kills and would be unable to grieve players who may not want to feel forced into offline mode just to get past someone who is intentionally trying to ruin their fun. If you want to gather up a band of do-gooders to go clear out the bridge, you still have the option to do so.

I believe the entire "selective loading of players" system SotA is based around has plenty of opportunity within it to balance the PvP world with a player's ability to have fun in the game. There could be many creative ways to take advantage of this unique system to give everyone an experience more tailored to what they want while still including risk for those who accept it.

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I think this is a great example of how the systems in the game can perhaps be used to address the problems like a PvP kill becoming a PK griefing. Good thinking, LordSlack!

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think that is a great idea actually.

4. DeathandCo

DeathandCo Avatar

Am I the only that does want a "care-bear" type system in the game. I'm honestly tired of games these days babying players.

Just make it like the old UO days. Simple enough. (Pre-Tram and Fel)

If you don't want to get PK'd over and over. Go out and get a group to go kill those players. This creates great world PvP. I remember the days where there were groups of Reds patrolling Shame and I rounded up fellow blues and anti-pk guilds to go kill them.

5. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I think most everyone wants a game that is fun for everyone who paid to play it, regardless of playstyles, and that all the players would recommend it to their friends and families.

While you may find it fun to be killed over and over again in a matter of minutes, I'm confident most don't agree.

6. DeathandCo

DeathandCo Avatar

Phredicon, I think you are missing my point. It has nothing to do with getting killed over and over again. It's the point that if I want that to stop, I have to go round up a force and stop it myself or if I can't do that, I just avoid that area. It's silly to just turn a blind eye to that.

Risk vs reward. I'm happy LB has stated that there will be highly contested areas that will be rewarding.

7. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@DeathandCo:

I completely agree with you, I think that it is mostly the younger players who refuse to not be spoon-fed. Honestly, I am not convinced by anything they attempt to proclaim as "evidence" to the contrary. That's my personal opinion.

8. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

@DeathandCo, I do understand your point but do you realize that this:

"It has nothing to do with getting killed over and over again. It?s the point that if I want that to stop, I have to go round up a force and stop it myself or if I can?t do that, I just avoid that area. It?s silly to just turn a blind eye to that."

is just frankly NOT FUN for some people? That if the game requires those actions, actions some people do NOT LIKE or having to avoid a portion of the game, that they also paid for, that they will not enjoy themselves?

The OP specifically suggested an idea to address GRIEFING behavior, not PvP. Are you stating that your gaming experience in SOTA will not be fun for you unless there are griefing behaviors allowed?

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

We have no reason to believe there will even be PK in this game. You can opt out of all PvP, any time.

10. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

No you can NOT opt out of pvp. Opt out would mean i click a button and will be left alone, and can still enjoy the complete same content pvpers enjoy, MINUS the pvp. Perfect example: im an avid crafter and collector. i will NOT be able to get ressources simply cause they are camped by people who see their only gain in harassing others.

11. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

So for people who do not enjoy being "griefed" the solution is to opt out of all PvP, and for those that enjoy PvPing, there is no such behavior as "griefing"?

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yes you can.
    There may be some resources, somewhere like the prized sheep of some lord which you cannot have for free. You can either buy them or PvP to steal them. Maybe he'll let you have one if you do some quest.

You can absolutely avoid PvP. But avoiding PvP doesn't give you free access to everyone else's stuff.

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

You can slide the slider all the way down. I don't understand the problem, If you don't like playing with other people slide the slider down.

14. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Acrylic:

There is no problem. Phredicon seems to be forgetting the people who enjoy PKing, should they not be able to do so?

Should they not be able to enjoy their playstyle simply because you want to enjoy yours?

No, there needs to be a middle ground and fortunately I think we'll have that. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a pretty good balance, we'll also have the alpha and beta stages of the game to determine the best solution.

15. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

UA, are saying that repeat PKing (corpse-camping) is a "playstyle" and not just people being assholes? I respect PvPers but a PK/griefer is not the same thing at all. And LB has already implied that they are not welcome.

16. DeathandCo

DeathandCo Avatar

"Are you stating that your gaming experience in SOTA will not be fun for you unless there are griefing behaviors allowed?"- Phredicon

No, I'm not sure why/where you are even getting that from.

If people don't enjoy that part of the game, having any kind of risk at all...then they need to play SINGLE player against automated-monsters. Simple as that.

17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Wanting to use guerrilla tactics in PvP, instead of zerg vs zerg is a very legitimate playstyle and one which I hope can be accommodated.

Repeatedly imposing ones will on an unwilling participant is something I have no desire to support.

Then again, if you have a million places to go and keep seeking out the same bandit's tree fort, perhaps you should try something else.

I can often enjoy fighting the same people over and over because changing your tactics adds a whole new level of gameplay to what people expect. But I understand how this can get boring too.

As I said, no one should get camped and stalked, but you also need to be open minded enough to say "maybe I dont need to do that quest right now or, if I really want to, come back with friends."

18. LordSlack

LordSlack Avatar

@DeathandCo, I respect your opinion and I agree with you actually. No risk, no reward. In my suggestion, you can be out in the world and be PK'd mining resources just the same as anybody else who is fair game, with the BIG assumption that open world PvP is going to be in this game and not restricted to certain zones. My suggestion merely leverages SotA's capabilities to limit grieving if other players put you in a situation that ruins your fun on purpose, such as repeat killings over and over.

Just say you are the one who got PK'd. Nothing about the player limiting system would prevent you from keeping those PKs active in your world and going back for more punishment, or gathering a group of adventurers in town and wiping them out exactly how you remember from the good old UO days. Your experience would not be affected by this, you play just how you want to. No care-bear system is preventing you from having the fun you want. But maybe Joe Blow just wants to get across so he can meet his friend in another town because he only has an hour to play today and doesn't want to waste it getting PK'd the entire time. You might say he can turn OPO off and bypass it in single player, but other players shouldn't force him to do that. He lost the encounter once, now he is ready for a new experience.

If you are the PK, you get a successful kill, and that player might come back with a group of players to fight you off. However, if all you want to do is impede his progress and kill him over and over, preventing him from crossing the bridge you guard, he doesn't have to remain an involuntary victim. It will probably even be more fun to be a bridge troll because you will always have fresh victims who will be unaware of your presence, yet the threat of revenge on you is still real and people in town will be talking about you!

In short, whether we like it or not, this is 2013 and LB isn't going to use the same mechanics he did 15 years ago and expect any amount of success. There will be give and take, and giving the player control over his encounters could let you play exactly like you did in UO, or get care-beared all you need with modern conveniences already available in the current game design.

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well...this thread which I agreed with the idea...sure puts to light some of the motivation behind our "very loud PVP players". You don't want PVP in the pure sense, you want to do whatever you want to who ever you want.

So in other words taking away your ability to grief someone ruins your day.

20. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@rune_74

You forgot to mention how rich and good looking we are!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.