Am I the only one who prefers turn-by-turn combat?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Turguin, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Haven't heard that in awhile. although it maybe different from the Turn Base Strategy, when I was little I played Panzer Blitz on a table top, then later Panzer General Online. I still have fun with the RTS genre today.

I got a refund today in the mail, my wife took it.:(

[​IMG]

2. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I played both too, actually. Great games.

The thing is, with Panzer General and war games overall, is that they aim at putting you in a General's chair. You don't (and can't) possibly control the direct actions of each movement, so you assign orders which are then carried out and you get the results so you can plan your next move. Turn based strategy works best when you control several units and just becomes annoying, boring and time consuming (all my opinions) when applied to a game where you are a single character.

Speaking of which, have you tried World of Tanks? Its a free to play MMO tank simulator. It is frighteningly realistic and really fun to play if you are into that sort of thing!

@By-Tor
    Yeah I realize, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I think most people would be quite upset if this was turn based (and I think it would be reflects in the KS significantly).

By-Tor likes this.
  3. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

I haven't tried WoT , looked boring. Thanks for the suggestion though. The RTS can drive you to drink, frighteningly realistic? you sold me. The Arm Chair General type I knew well, lol.

I played table top Strategy alongside the D&D folks, they liked me. I painted up their stuff, nice battle damage on their dragons, just like my tanks and other 3D counters.
    A good RPG for me uses little mouse play. Targeting, casting, combat. less mouse the better. (IMO)...sorry tangent to Skyrim.

4. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

WoT was awesome, I played the crap out of artillery units. Talk about patience and planning. Of course, imagining the look on someone's face when they brought their heavy tank around the last corner and I already had my gun leveled at them...well it was worth dieing 90% of the time to get that sudden kill the other 10%

5. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

@postulio The WoT does look interesting, I can see It's appeal. The equipping of Firepower, Armor and Maneuver. Aye...this is done only by tanks the best. A good set up will be hard to beat. The holy trinity of warfare. lol

This reminds me of what I don't like about character classes in other games. There will always be the most/more powerful & are balance issues. Although fun, if you change your mind your stuck & must start another character. Open world with open skill and experience growth. Sounds like more Fun! Plus peppered with good & bad Virtues to keep things more interesting.

postulio likes this.
  6. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@Deathblow

Yeah I agree.

I'd like to bring up UO once more if that is ok. UO wasn't about balance so much as it was about choice of playstyle. You had a large variety of characters you could build since it was just about picking which skills to gain. Not all characters would fight and not all could make money. There was no balance in the traditional sense, but if you wanted to compete there were certain builds that were viable and the rest was on player skill.

7. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Open sandbox. Limited by the 700 pure/real skill. I had a blast with it. Pre-T2A. We all have different memories of that time. I love thinking about mine. lol, My personal question is this. How good a crafter can my fighter/mage type be.
    I can't wait for a peek at the BattleDeck. More info. needed. You could make a good fighter/mage, (TankMage era)...and have just that little room for the Blacksmith, but to add, mining, lore, tinker forget the rest. After meditation & anatomy. Wern't you forced to be a pure mage or a dex monkey?

Edit: Plus skills/stats were all atrophy based, no locking or forced up or down. this could get tricky, making your character perfect.

8. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

At any rare. Choose your Weapon. the most elegant of games, still has their theories. 1. e4

[​IMG]

9. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Ahh, turn based combat.. I remember those days and loved every minute of it. It definitely has its merits and although its not as realistic (time wise), it was just as fun if not more so. From the demo, it looks like SoTA's combat may be more Kingdoms of Amalur meets Baldur's Gate on PS2. I'd love to see how the magic system is going to work out!

10. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Waiting on the Deck and Magicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.