Ancient Essence

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Dreadwhisper, Jul 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

Why is ancient essence in the game and why hasn't it become expanded upon throughout the game. Ancient essence is a resource gained from destroying Artifacts in the game. This resource is ONLY used to repair other artifacts and has no other effect on the game.

I'd like to hear opinion and ideas on how best to round out this aspect of the game.

@Elgarion @Chris

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I wouldn't have any problem with essence being usable for more things, but imo they're already pretty good as is. They all get used and all artifacts are worth a significant amount of money because of them.

Dreadwhisper likes this.
  3. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Perhaps infusing them with totems to increase totem level. That’d be cool. Not sure how many would make sense though.

Dreadwhisper likes this.
  4. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

It was so obvious that Ancient Essence should have been used to fuse Artifacts together imo... Even now, making the Epic quality artifacts require 10 ancient essence would drastically help the crashing artifact market and would allow crafter's to charge a premium for Exceptional+. Even adding onto the crafting system with Ancient essence for % success or % exceptional bonus would make crafting more rounded or and give the average player a chance at making something incredible.

I just feel Ancient Essence, in idea and practice, could bring so much more to the game. Allowing SOMETHING new to be done with the essence would turn alot of "useless" artifacts into something new.

Ancev likes this.
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Perhaps if there was a small chance to get components from artifacts when salvaging them, these artifact components could be used with existing player crafted gear recipes and the ancient essence could be the fuel that binds it all together? That way all of this time spent harvesting wood, ore, cotton etc would have more meaning and player crafted gear would still be desirable.

Maybe bring the crafted gear to the alchemy station and put the artifact component 10 mandrake and 10 ancient essence and hit craft? This would unlock a chance to get artifact-specific enchantments that are only available after the artifact component has been fused to the weapon, armor, etc.

Elrond and Dreadwhisper like this.
  6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Great idea ... and since crafting rework hasnt happen yet ...could be a great opportunity for @Chris to fuse the two systems (artifacts and crafted gear) in a way that keeps both relevant to the economy.

Ancev and Sulaene Moon like this.
  7. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

The addition to crafting would have to be so substantial to put a dent in the thousands of essence just sitting in players bags. The amount of common artifacts farmed and broken down daily is getting out of hand. @Chris Check out your Death Metal slimes :)

8. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Maybe ancient essence could be broken down into smaller parts.. and those parts could be added to crafting attempts to increase the chance of crafting exceptional items. 1 ancient essence might be too high of a cost.. but if they could be broken down into 10 parts? and perhaps other uses for the micro essence

1 micro essence to gain +1% or something but can't add more than 1 micro essence.. ?

9. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

I like the idea that ancient essence could be used to push for a 4th Masterwork and Enchantment as a consumable reagent. Or possibly be a Stat bonus unrelated to Crafting. Much like Gemming gives attunement, Essence could give something unique. Durability perhaps? @Chris @Elgarion

Elgarion likes this.
  10. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I think it would be great to have additional uses for ancient essence.

I also think it would be good to have essence drop as an item off of certain high level enemies.

Dreadwhisper likes this.
  11. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

@Chris @Elgarion Thank you for answering my question during the QA regarding Ancient Essence! I'm hopeful we can help quell and stabilize the in-game economy with some kind of "Essence Sink" I'll try keeping this thread alive throughout the coming weeks and maybe hear some new ideas from the playerbase on the forums! Much appreciated!

12. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

Update: Been thinking of ways to combine ancient essence and the crafting system.

Has anyone thought of "Hybrid Gems" allowing your character to upgrade or hybridize gems for +attunement or multiple attunements per gem! Allow them to require 10 of X gem and 10 of Y gem. Combine them with Ancient essence and give you +10 attunement in each tree!

This would open up class builds so you can actually benefit from both specializations aswell as opening up crafters to making a huge variety of new gemmed gear!

13. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

stumbled upon this thread in a google search - I have a ring of tempestry that I can't repair because I need Ancient Essence. Where do I get ancient essence? I have some kobold, elf, and lich essence and maybe a couple others but not ancient.

14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

salvage an artifact.

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

16. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Isn't this an artifact? Why won't it let me salvage it? I do have the salvage skill from the crafting trainer.

[​IMG]

17. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Prolly carpentry table item

18. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Duh - I should have known that.

19. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Can artifacts be crafted? If I'm desperate for ancient essence can I create my own artifacts and then salvage them?

[​IMG]

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No. It sounds like there is something in the works which will allow you to (sort of) create artifacts, but they'll require components that drop from salvaging artifacts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.