Announcing the SotA Writing Round Table and A New Story Contest!

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Vyrin, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

I really hope that people will like the open approach of the SotA Writing Round Table, where we can comment on each other's work and offer encouragement and/or suggestions as equals, without formality.
    I am not much of a writer myself, and that is why I have seeded the site with a few of my efforts. I'm hoping that others will take the time to read my attempts and offer suggestions, so that I can improve.
    I also look forward to reading the efforts of others, learning from them, and perhaps offering constructive comments if they seem appropriate.

I encourage everyone to visit our site and participate.

2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There is no desire to step into the contentious discussion of how to create official lore. There is writing for the joy of writing! We will support those who want to write in as lore consistent way as possible, but some may not as fan fiction is a broad category.

As Bowen said, if things are adopted by the community, we would be happy to have made this kind of a contribution. There are many things people may want to write, like their character's back story (especially important to role players) where the concern is only about good writing and consistency, not whether it becomes canon.

There have already been a few SotA fan websites launched with other fora. This is not an attempt to split but to offer a resource that I don't really think can or should be executed on the SotA forum. We want to form a writer's community, like a role-playing community, or a guild community. We will offer another level of the exchange of ideas and mutual suggestions and editing. At least Womby and I are committed to proofreading and offering suggestions on people's work. Others will join in too. We will encourage authors to publish their works in the Library and to the scholars if that is what they desire.

Sophi, AvatarAcid, royalsexy and 10 others like this.
  3. stile

stile Avatar

I wouldve said something to you, but It was sworn to secrecy :)

4. stile

stile Avatar

Id add to this. Womby and Vyrin can toss out if i got anything off on this, just loose thoughts though.

As many know I helped (again - helped . Lord Baldrith was there sweating harder then I was, and these days its a HUGE team of which I just play one role) establish and run Echoes from The caverns, where we record authors works in audio format in the style of Old time Radio shows, podcast them, and make them available to Avatars radio to air.

I spend many hours a week asking authors for permission to record their stuff. I encourage blanket permissions and authors to come to us with their stuff - which we do have happen, but not nearly as much as wed like. If this group is willing to somehow come up with a way to help obtain permissions from authors and get finalized writings to the Echoes from the Cavern Staff, it would be of great value. Thats an understatement.

I have spoken with Womby and Vyrin on this a bit but just loosely, no plans YET. I said - focus on the core concepts for now, grow em into things like this later.

One thing i have stated is I dont want to put any ones stuff over others. At Echoes, someone that posts in the SotA Forums is just important to us as someone that would be partaking and posting in this community group (at least as long as I remain on staff!).

However eventually something has to give - and I will not always be able to spend time searching through the forums for good work, contacting people for permissions, and getting that to the Producers (Lord Baldrith and Asclepius). So authors that give us blanket permissions or email us directly with an attached document file (this being the bestest but ultra rare!), etc.. . Will be the ones getting turned into audio format as a priority - not because of a group they belong to, but because - well if we dont have time to go ask and retrieve, or limited tikme, those making it easy on us are going to be the ones we have the time to work for. Note - not that this is a problem currently, we have over 40 pieces to do.. but there HAVE been periods of time when we have had nothing.

So a group like this that coordinated among themselves to help make this happen, could be another added benefit as well (to many! The authors, the Echoes, the radio, and the community!).

Course that said - The Scholars would certainly be welcome to do this as well, and id love it if they did that (I have certainly mentioned to Fire-lotus before that wed love to do some of her stuff!) - but only if they kept it simple and informal *chuckles* (meaning im not joining a group, or attending meetings.. as id just be swapping the time to manually do the work myself vs. to be part of said group). However I think doing this is outside the scope of their purpose in some ways. They focus is in more official and game related endeavors rather then outside of it (in my mind!). For a group like the Round table? Good fit!

Nothing here competes with the Scholars! You can tell from the "goals", stuff people have posted, etc... This is not a competing group with the Scholars.. the objectives are very different. The biggest difference right out of the gate - is that the Scholars by default because of the type of group they are will have some political aspects to it internally. Something that a group like this one that Womby and Vyrin are putting together are able to completely avoid. As someone who blogs - I can say the most annoying thing I deal with in everything I type - is people finding meaning between words and sentences, motives in their own minds, etc.. that never existed. I can attest to the fact both Womby and Vyrin have their hearts and heads in the right place for the way they are approaching this project!!!!

Yes - there will be some crossover, that cant be helped!! One group may handle one aspect of things better then another, that happens. How many Wikis did we have before Duke Violations popped up and took over? Without sometimes trying things that other groups are doing but in different ways, or with different agendas - we will not have improvement. The thing I most often tell people I talk to in person is that - After E1? no one will know who any of us are, or what any of us are doing. We are a VERY SMALL minority, that is going to be swallowed up in a mass of people, with a mass of new projects and web sites popping up. You can count on "writing groups" being something we will see a dozen off... at least I hope, otherwise the game isnt doing well enough!!!!!

A group that helps writers polish their stuff BEFORE its being published (here, in game, anywhere!) or before its being given to the Scholars? Thats good for the Scholars. Its less time for them. Better chance for more quality work to be provided. Less time they have to spend on editing suggestions and review - because talented people are doing that ahead of time. I think outside of the official forums is the best place for that to happen.. I think of it like a butchering factory. Usually when I go buy a steak - I don't want to be involved in the butchering of it. Let that happen at a butchers and let me stay un-involved please!!!!!! So I think having this sort of thing taking place elsewhere, so that the users are seeing finalized work (or close to it), vs. the work in process? That's just a win for everyone! Those that want to be involved in the butchering can be.. the rest don't have to be. (sausage making anyone?) - I honestly HATE the "mechanics" of writing and try to be involved with that side of things as little as I can... keep it out of the forums giving me less threads to have to pay attention to? PLEASE!

As a side note, I have plans for an in game community public library. Ive spoken with others wanting to do the same thing. Ive proposed tools to track books in game, library inventory, overstock, and swapping books between libraries. I have built some of these things so they can be launched easily if people are willing: http://www.thecavernsnet/sfb - I would also love it if a large writing community like this was interested in lending a hand being they are the creators of such thing, in those endeavors. Its a separate project for me and a personal one for personal reasons - but that doesn't mean Im not willing to work with others on it!!! I did contact the Scholars about something like this - but was told the interest is not there (at least not at this time). Again - for me it boils down to when im in game pursuing this dream and goal - being able to work with some established groups vs. doing all the research myself, means less chore time and more fun time. Im SURE ill be working with many groups on it, and ill ask each one I learn about.. but this is something else I hope to possibly build an interest with, with this new group being started. (I haven't even discussed it with Womby and Vyrin yet - just seemed like a good time to toss it out there as one of my thoughts for the DISTANT future).

Just my ten cents. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and wouldn't be the first time a project idea was not a good one! You never know unless you try though. I can really see an opportunity for this project to be a great community addition though - and STRENGTHENING the Scholars, Avatars Radio, in game libraries, Echoes from the Caverns, The New Britannia Theater Troupe, and who knows what else??? Time will tell!!! Each of these things can retain their individuality, but each has cross-over that can make things easier and stronger for the others.

I was very honored when they asked me to lend a hand in this, and I hope it really takes off for them. They offered me a MUCH larger role then I have asked to instead have and for that I am HUGELY honored. I think their minds and hearts are in the right place. Their has always been concern things would be seen in a way not meant but I do not feel this is the case here - Or I wouldn't be lending a hand with it!

There is no "bad here" - its good for the writers, anyone wanting to be involved in other ways, its good for the scholars, and its good for the community. Which means its good for the game and Portalarium also!

Ok, thats my lousy and overly long cool motivational speech.. please don't wip me to hard. I mention im a poor writer? :)

P.s- If you do like the website, be sure to say so. Due to my hectic schedule Vyrin put a lot of his own time into researching coding and doing some of the coding for the site to help get it done and so that I didnt have to do it all. He choose the entire theme/look (with input from Womby), and helped make it get to where he wanted it. Hes put a LOT of time into this and I applaud him for his efforts.

5. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I didn't read the OP as being a push for people to 'write content'... just a way to encourage people to simply write.

There is such a thing as writing just for the fun of it, without any intent to be published (in any form), and also writing for the sake of improvement. Even well-known authors with dozens of books under their belts still have room for improvement, and goodness knows I've seen enough errors and inconsistencies in published novels that I know editors and proof readers always have room for improvement too! ;)

I'm not sure exactly how the in-game printing press is going to work, but the impression I get is that it will be possible for people to publish their own books directly. I presume there might be some kind of built-in profanity filter, but it seems that those books are not going to go through any sort of approval process before they can be printed. There are going to be lots of books appearing in the world that don't fit established lore, regardless of what any particular group tries to do.

Of course, if Portalarium requests pieces of writing specifically to be mass-published as 'official', they will have the last say on whether or not the piece is lore-appropriate. But otherwise, I believe we get to write and publish pretty much what we want - the players will decide what they like and what they don't, and will promote the books they like best whether or not they fit 'official' lore. :) By putting a mechanic such as the printing press in the game, Portalarium are relinquishing absolute control over what gets distributed and allowing us to be as creative as we want. I don't think they would do that if they wanted to be sure everything fits their own lore (whatever it may be, since so much is still unknown).

So anyway... as a SotA-themed writing group, supporting, helping and encouraging each other, this Round Table seems like a good idea to me! Perhaps it will result in a few pieces that become accepted as 'lore' and perhaps it won't, but the point is not to write content. The point is to encourage creative expression through the art of writing, and that's a fine goal in my opinion! :D

Sophi, Asclepius, AvatarAcid and 6 others like this.
  6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I don't see anyplace in this thread where anyone said this was bad, not sure where that is being perceived.

The long story (literally) short: You want a better filter (by the user) to put work on the other forum for all the other facets of community contribution you do (radio, readings, etc...).

I get that, but look at it this way: You created all those facets =)

While I understand the desire to redirect the flow into something more manageable for your time to invest in other areas, not having to comb the website for material, I am simply trying to understand the upside for us, the users.

Why do we now have to split our time in two places? Especially when the official resources will be here, I think that is a given.

What is the "extra" enticement you are offering to get me to go over there and participate rather than here?

Here are some simple ideas:

1) Setup some workflow (with Port of course) to allow auto-submissions from your site into the main site to include services like running through the scholars for lore checks <-- enticing

2) Perhaps a weekly, biweekly beatnik hangout to get people who like the interactive aspect of writing and reading more active
    3) Contests are cool, of course, I do like what the scholars just did about making a compendium of stories. There is no one winner, and everyone can contribute <-- we need way more of this in the community in every aspect, every contribution is still so damn singular/solo to the user.
    4) I saw mention of publishing, perhaps offering a type of "clearance house" style setup where you can crowd source ppl to read and then publish books FOR users? dunno, trying to think of things here....

The main point: What is the major attraction right now for us to be in both places?

Keep in mind I do understand the long term goal. =p

7. Womby

Womby Avatar

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

One of the things about Sir Stile I want to emphasize is that he has been incredibly supportive of Womby's and my vision to start a writing community. Our original intent was to do just what we've started doing, to be supportive of each other in developing our writing and engage each other on a deeper level regarding lore, the craft of writing, etc. Those who enjoy writing get out of it the collaborative joy of the effort itself. That isn't for everyone, just as not all who play SotA are going to role play.

An example of what a writing community cares about is that I started a discussion about how important it is to create characters in fiction, and have posted some very amateur-ish suggestions on how to do so. I hope others will post theirs. Those who enjoy going deeper in writing will enjoy this kind of stuff, just as those who want to go deeper into how Unity works will most likely discuss that in a Unity forum, even though it may ultimately be asked for the purpose of developing SotA.

Regarding Sir Stile's ideas: as a member of the round table, Sir Stile is able to offer suggestions on how to take what we do in new directions. We will continue to entertain these ideas as we get up and running. The ideas you suggested could be considered as well if you want to participate. This is a collaborative effort and anyone can offer advice as to how the round table can grow. Remember though we are just getting started! We have a lot to feel out still as we await what we will be able to do in game. At its heart though, the Round Table will always be about the joy of writing for its own sake, and the joy of doing so within the world of Shroud of the Avatar.

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Can we submit stories that we submitted for the last contest? For instance on I submitted had two parts with possibly more....

Vyrin likes this.
  10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Since the winners of that contest have not been announced, we should probably put those stories on hold.

Remember that the theme for this contest is different too: the intrigue as to why you found this book in a side street of Ardoris should be apparent. If the scholars contest winners are announced, and you don't make it, then feel free, but remember it will be judged with the theme in mind. There is the general intent too that we want to encourage new writing. But I think people should have some freedom to resubmit other non-contest winners.

This might be a good place to remind people that the contest will be judged too by community voting, one vote per user on the forum. More details on that when we get to the deadline and the voting starts!

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  11. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

well i have to thank Vyrin and Womby for this website, i have been having a real hard time coming up with a backstory for my in-game persona(s) all this time, and their site helped me really focus on coming up with one, and FINALLY!! omg i'm getting it together at last. so regardless of any contests (which I love!) it's a great site, easy to use, lots of helpful hints, and all writing styles are welcome!
    thx guys :D

Vyrin and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

And it's awesome so far! Come and check it out people...

Sophi and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  13. Holt

Holt Avatar

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and a great time to get writing. I'm participating, though my writing is not Shroud of the Avatar canon. Still, I thought this was worth mentioning, as there is an interesting reason I am taking it so seriously!

I won (along with four other stories) a similar writing contest to this last year. That competition had a really stunning turnout. The success of the one story spurred me on to write 5 more stories. I've edited them into a 30k novelette, and now have enough inspiration from the twisted characters and setting to write hundreds of stories. I will be turning this Novelette into the beginning of a fantasy novel, and who knows, perhaps a series! One step at a time.

So, I encourage everyone to write and participate, because you may find yourself faced with some great ideas that help attract the attention of your muse.

You can read what was spawned from a simple 3000 word story here.

Good luck everyone! If you need any tips, send me a draft of your story and I can try to help you out.

Wax Poetica,

Grandmaster Bard Holt Ironfell

P.S. Some cover art I am playing with:

[​IMG]

Jynx and Vyrin like this.
  14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Best of luck with this new project Holt! I'm sure you'll come up with something epic during NaNoWriMo, and I can't wait to read it!

Isn't it awesome that a simple story contest for SotA spawned such a dramatic new effort as this?

15. Holt

Holt Avatar

I suspect SotA is the genesis for a lot of things. People who never played with unity growing in skill, storytellers discovering they can hold an audience; I know first hand that Poets' Circle has some composers who had never composed before, but now produce excellent pieces. It's really incredible to witness and I'll throw my support behind anyone taking their creative lives seriously :)

16. Holt

Holt Avatar

Oh, I meant to post this earlier, as this competition has Ardoris as a setting. Ardoris has some music that I've completed recently. The melody is approved but the song may yet undergo revisions from Lord British. Still, it's pretty as is, and maybe it will inspire some writing. I ALWAYS write to music. ;)

17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Your music is beautiful. This game is turning out to be something very special.

AvatarAcid, Holt and Vyrin like this.
  18. Holt

Holt Avatar

Thank you Womby, that's really encouraging. :)

19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Release 11 is up and running, and by all accounts a great time is being had by all.

REMINDER!! Spend some time in Ardoris getting inspired for your entry into the Round Table's First Contest!

What did you find in that side street?

Also, don't forget to stop by our bookstore creation in Owl's Head. Find the details here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ound-table-in-setting-up-our-bookstore.15503/.

Happy Playing to All!

Vyrin & Womby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.