Another new(ish) player a little lost

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Detton, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detton

Detton Avatar

Hello everyone,

I've been in the testing for a while. I tried out each of the builds a little bit, but never really invested myself because I wanted to wait for the release build that wasn't going to be wiped. Now that we're here, i'm trying to put what I have learned into practice, and I feel like i've had some success, but there is still a lot that is generally confusing me.

Mostly I play in Solo or Friends mode - not out of any desire to not be social, but because the zones seem to load slow enough as it is.

I have some general questions I was hoping to get answers to. Google has done me basically no good, bringing up posts and data from years ago.

1. ) Where do people 'hang out' at? What are the social hubs? When I do feel like I want to play multiplayer, I would like to be where the people are. Not just to socialize, but to get assistance, trade, or find groups at.

2. ) Where do I find my level? "V" now toggles between first and third person modes, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the slash command was that gave me a bunch of information (with adventure level being one of them.)

3. ) Necropolis - Is this dungeon for real? You get the quest trail to come here within five minutes of leaving the starter scenario and it absolutely brutalizes you. I made it into the dungeon proper, but couldn't really get anywhere. At what point should you start to consider doing this? What level (see point 2) or what skill range?

4. ) And on the subject of progression in general, where does one get good gear? What IS good gear? What stats should you look for? I am currently an archer with a touch of lightning magic (I want to get to Blink primarily, but don't have any current plans to do serious mage-stuff.) What is, for example, "Combat Dodge Modifer"? It doesn't appear to change anything on what little stats you are shown on the character sheet. If it was a passive dodge bonus, I would have thought it would show up as Avoid% there.

5. One horse-sized duck or one hundred duck-sized horses? (Okay, just four questions then.)

Looking forward to seeing you in game when I am feeling like sneaking out of my Introvert Hole (it's like a hobbit hole only with more locks).

-Detton

Time Lord and firesparx like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

EDIT: Wrote a short reply on my phone, now I can flesh it out once I'm at my PC

@Detton

Welcome to Novia outlander,

The best tip is to check out the hospitallers which are players-helping-players:
    http://sotahelp.org/

1)
    Owl's Head, in the Hidden Vale
    You can find it on this map resource:
    http://www.sotamap.com/
    Type in Owl's Head in the upper left corner.

To get there you need to take the ferry from Brittany, there is one on the overland map.

2)
    It is hidden. So you are not supposed to know.
    In chat write /stats
    then check the file in appsdata for the game. In Windows it is
    %Appdata%\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs
    3)
    You can do it early - but you need to avoid any and all fights. If you don't then that is a very high level dungeon.
    In the dialog the spirit talker (if you got the good one) warns you about not fighting.
    4)
    Player Made Gear > NPC Gear
    So you need to buy it from other players.
    Which means you need to go to the major cities and find the Public Vendors, or run around browsing the Player Vendors - those are the ones that all look exactly the same...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Time Lord, Rinaldi and firesparx like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome Detton!
    Spoon has already given you the short answers, so there's not much more to say.

There is a great little app created by a player which reads out the stats and everything else contained in the log file in a user-friendly interface, so you may want to check it out: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ats-log-parsing-legible-stats-and-more.54410/

Armour and weapon stats are still being tweaked, so it is hard to find up-to-date information. You can always check out some of the player vendors and look to see what people have been crafting.

Regarding 2): I hope the Devs will end up adding some story line to the game which will delay people from running right to the Necropolis when they are not ready for it.

Happy adventuring!

Time Lord, Rinaldi and firesparx like this.
  4. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome Detton to the game!! :D

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Omg, I totally want a horse sized duck!

Hope you enjoy the game. Look me up if you ever want a group.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Detton

Detton Avatar

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I remember Owl's Head and I made my way there not too long ago, and apparently this is where all the merchants sell the real gear at too, since I am finding much higher quality stuff here as well :)

Not sure what to do about money though. Any tips on something that can be done relatively easily that generates income?

I remember reading about not fighting in the Necropolis, but I don't think I took the 'good' spirit-talker :D I'm not sure how i'm supposed to avoid some of those fights though - earth elementals and red spiders root me and chew me up. Are there side paths I wasn't seeing perhaps? (A lot of great map resources, but does anything map out Necropolis specifically?)

For the character data - I can't seem to find (or don't have) a Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs folder. Do you know what the file name is?

Thanks again! Gotta go to bed - long day in Maine. (Ocean swimming = best swimming)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Dytand

Dytand Avatar

Welcome to novia Detton

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Kill humanoids and skeletons. Sell their gear in the upper Owl's Head armory. (Pays double).
    You can find such in both Kingsroad and North Valeyway which are 1 skull areas.

9. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

blacksmiths in many towns now pay the same as the owl's head blacksmith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.