another noob question..

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I loved uo ! Im wondering based on my previous statement if this game will have a lot in common with uo and ill love this also im usually afraid of sequels most are dissapointments especially when they try to make them new games I.e. the diablo series.. any thoughts. ?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well from what I know of the game: This is less a sequel of UO, and more a sequel of the earlier single-player Ultima games with a multi-player component included.

If you are looking for a pure online sandbox fantasy multiplayer game you may find yourself disappointed here.

However, if you really enjoyed the original single-player games, and would like to play that in an online environment, you should be right at home.

In my opinion: The entries in the Diablo series had more in common with each other, than UO has with SotA. :)

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Thats to bad. Uo was the beat most complete game ever made. The crafting was amazing the player housing system was and still is the best ever made. The onlything uo is missing is the modern graphics and 3view and Lord British. ...

SirDaniel likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Think of it like this.

UO came from the earlier single player Ultima games with a multi player component included. If you liked UO, SotA might have a lot of those elements you are looking for.

Asclepius, rild and NRaas like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

larock2233, This will be very similar to UO. This is the spiritual successor to Ultima Online.

Acrylic 300 and Asclepius like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well,I think you will find a lot of things similar to UO, but with the one huge flaw that I thought UO had corrected. The story.

This game will have a similar story as to Ultima 7 ideas, which I think is a huge plus to be honest. They have said that if you never want to play the story you don't have too, but if it is akin to what we had in U7 then I wouldn't want to skip it.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

It will be similar to UO except :

No isometric view
    No Full PvP
    No Griefing
    No Single Scale World - Hex based instances instead

So.. not that similar ! :)

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I can't agree with this statement in any way.

So many comments to make but I am going to wonder off now...

Random link of the day

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Come on Ristra, don't be lazy, if you want to argue, post something substantial not a random link lol :p

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

OK, you asked for it :)

Isometric view - the view is a rendering thing and has zero substance. Ultima IV for the PC vs Ultima IV for the Nintendo, for example, two very different views for the same game.

Full PvP - Ultima Online is not full PvP, just saying.

Griefing - I would love for you elaborate on this one. How do you know there will be no griefing.

Single scale world -Similar to the isometric view, this is a delivery system. It's the substance that is delivered that is important not the method.

Yet another random link

rschultzy80 likes this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

If you loved UO I think you will find much to love in SotA.

Housing will be very significant. If you loved getting and decorating a house, you can do that here. There will be a wide variety of housing, and I think we'll see some pretty nifty decorating.

Crafting is very strong. Details vary a bit, the principles are the same - go and gather resources, bring them back and make all sorts of stuff. So far we have smelting, blacksmithing, milling, carpentry, tanning and tailoring. I've seen an alchemy station during my wanderings - guessing that will be included at some stage.

Skills and combat - different. Instead of the "level grind" (do something 10,000 times to get good at it) you wander about the world doing stuff. Exploring, gathering, fighting, crafting etc. For that you get experience points. When you have enough you can visit a trainer, in your desired discipline, and get training (ie advance). There is no skills cap (like the 700 point limit), but due to time and difficulty factors is will be a practical impossibility to be a GM equivalent in everything.

PVP - this has generated intense debate and passion;) My take on this - the towns will be "safe" - no PVP. Out in the countryside, PVP may be consensual - that probably means that someone can challenge you to a fight. You can accept or not. Guild wars may also happen! BUT - there will be areas that contain high quality resources, that you might really need. Also there will probably be quests - eg a high level trainer may send you on a quest before you can get mastery in a skill. These areas will be "open PVP" So beware!

There will be a rich, absorbing storyline or quest, as in the single-game Ultimas. There is a lore developing (the book by Tracey Hickman and Richard Garriott is setting the scene) and it will be an awesome back story for the land.

In summary, SotA is drawn from both UO and the Ultima series - I think it encapsulates the best of both.

Look forward to seeing you there!

SirDaniel and NRaas like this.
  12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I dont have nothing to say, Im just shaking this.

Well, maybe this to the OP: If you liked Ultima series or UO probably you will like Sota. Unless you love too much the full pvp/loot.

I will continue shaking.

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

And there we go : "One hundred replies and one hundred different answers" (paraphasing obviously)

Of course my thoughts are colored by what I would like to see emerge from the game, as I suspect as are everyone else's thoughts.

Best just to read up on the "Current Thinking" dev posts and review the various dev videos, and see whether the direction for the game fits you. :)

The posts are over in these forums : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/community-announcements.15/

And: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/community-announcement-archive.59/

And: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?cat=10

Margard and Asclepius like this.
  14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Welcome to the forums!

SotA will have rich crafting and a great player housing system like UO.

SotA will not have UO's launch open PvP model where anyone can pretty much kill anyone at any time outside of towns. Because of this one difference, some insist that means SotA is nothing like UO, even though UO only forced people into non-consensual PvP for less than 2 years and has been more like SotA's PvP model for something like 15 years.

SotA will be a spiritual successor to UO in many ways, but also with added lessons learned from years of experience.

It won't be as feature rich on day 1, because a small staff can't in less than 2 years replicate all the development time UO has had for nearly 2 decades. But SotA will have a fairly impressive feature set for a small staff and small timeframe. SotA won't have a monthly subscription fee and doesn't force you into micro-transactions.

15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

And is Sota you could have (really) a black kitty in your house.

Ceal Astra, NRaas and enderandrew like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Is that site safe ? That's not just a honey pot to collect everyone's password in the world is it ? :p

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  17. SirDaniel

SirDaniel Avatar

Myself im looking forward to SotA im hoping it brings back the magic of UO but with a new spin on things spice it up a bit ect. As for the pvp vs pve thing i think we need both to make the game more thrilling and rewarding more real life feel to it. I hope they find a balance that can make everybody happy. Myself i suck at pvp haha but i use to love sneaking around in fel to gather resources kinda of rush when i made it back without getting killed haha

tradyblix likes this.
  18. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

Your answer was to disagree to those features as "It will be similar to UO except :" BY disagreeing you ar ein fact sayign they will be in which makes no sense with your elaboration.

Its not isometric (fixed third-point view) - hard to disagree with that fact

UO was full PvP meaning you had no (game enforced) choice in the matter. The only choice was on the part of the would-be attacker

Griefing - this is debateable, but the stance is since PvP is purely consensual, player-killing once flagged or hot-zone is by default an excepted part of the game and thus not truly "griefing"

Single scale - I do not believe UO was sharded by hex region, but SotA and UO are different

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You speak of griefing as if it's a function of PvP. This is not true. PvP can be an easy venue but the griefing is a separate act. There are thousands of ways to grief, even without PvP.

Margard likes this.
  20. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

Griefing is subjective. One person's griefing can also be defined as competition. As I griefing you swooping in an grabbing a mining node while you kill the monster? If the game is community-node nodes rather than individual, then I am playing by the rules and very smartly. It becomes a matter of being polite. Blocking players form entering a store. If I know they are trying to get a certain item from a vendor, but my guildie also needs said item and it is in limited quantity, am I griefing or am I helping? All subjective and all a part of the individual's game morality/etiquette.

As I think the context here is PvP, I believe griefing would be killing people out in the open while they are trying to engage in activities other than PvP. No griefing here being PvP is consensual (of course in a game that is open-PvP 100%, it is by default consensual. One of my favorite things to laugh at is people that complain about an obvious game mechanic they do not agree with meaning their complaint is due to a lack of a) research and understanding the game or b) self-control in not participating/buying the game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.