Anyone able to write ink script to give Lunar Rift destination?

Discussion in 'Ink NPC Dialogue Composition' started by Nick, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Is any able to write a script to use a conversationalist to calculate the Lunar Rift destination?

Or to calculate the lost vale?

Would like to create use a conversationalist to give this info to other players.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  2. Tristano Sforza

Tristano Sforza Avatar

Hello @Nick , I don't think it's possible because looking at official ink documentation there is no way to get day or time from client.
    I hope I'm wrong because I have a few ideas and I need it too...

Nick and FrostII like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

How strange, date and time are basic stuff. Oh well.... I can post over at wishlist for something like this then. A deco item perhaps :p

FrostII likes this.
  4. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

I think the point of ink in sota is for it to not touch the code, so it is self-contained.

I think an ink script can define its own variables, and reference those variables within it’s own script - but it can’t pass them to another script afaik (or get data from the sota code). As I understand it, the Unity environment has ways of working with ink where it can have overall variables from the game code plugged into dev written ink scripts, but I’m not sure sota devs can expose such a universal variable to ink in a way that player written scripts could refernce it. I’m not sure that ink in unity is meant to be used that way -but anyone who knows better please say so.

So it is limited in that way, while still be very powerful for players to write branching story writing. So great for us to use writing npc character conversations.

(I’m still not certain myself if sota’s implementation of “ink for players” can even handle all the options in ink - like logic, global variables and conditionals within ink scripts? Anyone else have clarity on that?)

FrostII likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Avatar

I am able to use shuffle, giving a random reply each time. At least something works. :)

Gadfrey Zukes likes this.
  6. Tristano Sforza

Tristano Sforza Avatar

I have made a script with logic, global and temp variables, conditionals, functions and it works fine :)

7. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

thanks for that. Gives me the confidence to put more advanced stuff into my next one. I didn’t want to be chasing my tail trying to debug something that wasn’t an option in the first place!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.