Archer mob feedback / skill suggestion

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by blacksheepboy, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

I just submitted this recommendation in the Portalarium survey, and thought I would submit it here also.

I have found the addition of an enemy archer to a combat situation can quickly take a scenario from "challenging but I can survive if I use all of my tricks" to impossible / instantly dead because an archer came out of nowhere and critted me from behind. No one likes dying, but I particularly don't like it when I feel like I was in control of a situation but an unlucky crit from an unknown assailant takes me out of the game.

This is realistic, sure! But I have a couple of suggestions to improve the gaming experience for this type of situation.

1. Incorporate, as some other games have, that the first ranged attack always misses. For example, a newly spawned archer or one that just began attacking the player would always "miss" it's first attempt at attack, but the player gets a sort of cue to know that they need to take cover. For example, a loud whistling of an arrow as if it were going past someone's ear would be an exciting addition to combat that could immediately alert the avatar that they are under fire from a new source.

2. The incorporation of a new skill in the Tactics or Focus tree, or even tied to already existing Awareness skill, that would alert the player to a hostile mob that has aggro on them outside of their current camera view. A lot of FPS have this, but only when a player takes damage from a direction they are not facing. I am instead suggesting a directional aggro indication--higher levels of the skill would increase the range at which hostile mobs are detected. For example, at low skill level, the character wouldn't know that a loud kobold fighter is literally standing right behind about to hit them over the head with an accordion. At higher skill, avatars could tell that an angry ranged mob at increasing distances are in a given direction. Perhaps at the highest skill the ability could reduce the crit damage from stealth backstabs or something.

Rowell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.