Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

archers

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Xi_, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

you are incorrect in your assumption, my tests prior to making the op was facing an archer at a range of approxiamately 10

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am not incorrect just not related to your problem or issue. Sorry to confuse you.

3. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Less to do with the scene, and more to do with your build.

Weins201 likes this.
  4. BiggieD

BiggieD Avatar

Tbh I didn't know you could make supple or hardened leather armour. Is that Epic Armour? Where is the receipe please ? Thanks

5. agra

agra Avatar

NPC Archers are by far the most dangerous foes I've met in the game, and only because they can remove 1/4 to 1/3 of my HP per hit, regardless of the armor I'm wearing, or what character I'm playing, or what temporary buffs I have active.

I hesitate to take them on, unless it's 1v1 because of the constant running & add risk. With the nerf to completely new version of root, the options left are: stun, use a pet, or hide-n-heal.
    Honestly? To me they're not worth the aggravation, time and effort when you can just kill every other mob in the game faster and easier. It's getting to the point where I don't want to hunt anything except animals because of all the buggy mechanics.

Good times: (and yes, I know not to turn my back. ;) )
    [8/15/2016 3:25:13 PM] Ebon Cultist Marksman attacks Player and hits, dealing 107 points of critical damage from Aimed Shot.
    [8/15/2016 3:25:28 PM] Ebon Cultist Marksman attacks Player and hits, dealing 97 points of critical damage from Aimed Shot.
    [8/15/2016 5:46:32 PM] Ebon Cultist Marksman attacks Player and hits, dealing 93 points of critical damage from Aimed Shot.
    [8/15/2016 10:24:42 PM] Ebon Cultist Marksman attacks Player and hits, dealing 105 points of critical damage from Aimed Shot.

Xi_, Dariog and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I use the Augmented Leather, not the Epic. www.sotacraft.com

BiggieD likes this.
  7. BiggieD

BiggieD Avatar

Thankyou. I'll give it a try tonight. Wonder what stats difference it would give compared to normal Leather Epic gear

8. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

It definitely helps having a spider pet for archers and having the Pet Attack command easily reachable on your keyboard or a mouse button. Always command your spider to attack the archer first. He'll web and keep the archer's attention.

Eventually your stats will be high enough to withstand the damage though. Currently I'm sitting at 380 unbuffed HP. As a Air/Death/Fire mage however, I have some other forms of mitigation to help. For damage mitigation, I use: Bulwark of Earth (innate +damage resist), Defensive Stance (attack speed loss doesn't affect casting time), and Death Shield (~18% life conversion of damage received). My Lighting spells also help greatly since they currently have a 52% chance to stun enemies for 4.5 seconds.

I don't exactly know how playing as an archer is, but one thing you might be able to do is take advantage of Shield of Air while fighting archers. Shield of Air converts damage received to focus damage. Meaning instead of losing HP upon taking damage, it'll take the damage out of your focus bar instead. This of course means you won't have much focus left, if at all, for the fight, but at least you could auto-attack them without taking damage. Not sure if that's something that would help.

9. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

www.sotacraft.com has that information :)

BiggieD likes this.
  10. BiggieD

BiggieD Avatar

Excellent, thanks

11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i already have over 400 health, defensive stance at about 80, shieldf of air, both earth innates, it helps, but they are still the most dangerous foe in the game, which i have no problems with, but for a couple hundred xp ? sillyness i tell ya.

12. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Oh, I totally agree. They are by far the most powerful common mobs in the game. Those 70-100 damage crits they can get on you are ridiculous. But they are definitely survivable after a lot of investment into your character and some tactics to take them out or control them first.... however, I wouldn't call them the most dangerous foe. There is a scene you can access through some underground scenes that has enemies all with over 1k health. There's even a red dragon located down there with 14k health. I haven't personally gone there (a guildy of mine was reporting it), so I don't know how hard they hit. But I would assume they are pretty deadly. It did sound like a pretty awesome area though.

13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's true that NPC archers deal more damage from behind their targets and that certain tactics, skills, and gear can help a lot versus them. It's still also true that NPC archers are stronger than NPC fighters and mages.

14. helm

helm Avatar

I haven't tried cloth, but I doubt wearing leather makes that much a difference.
    The "solution" is to not to let them hit ya. A few things that might or might not help:

1) Really? Are you serious?
    2) OK, so you really are serious. Lots of good luck to ya, gonna need it..
    3) Improve your range by upping your range skill and by making a bow with hard leather bowstrings. Do special "archer kiting" at the very edge of your range (fire a charged shot and a stacked glyph shot, backpedal while charging, rinse and repeat).
    4) If possible, make use of terrain to block opponent LOS. Rocks and large trees are your friends. Good friends.
    5) In addition to whatever dmg reduction buffs you have, do make use of dex buffs (like Air's Embrace) to yourself. More importantly, use dex debuffs (like Blinding Shot) to your target. You will also want to slow them down with Disabling Shot.
    6) Use and combine every applicable tool that you have in your toolbox - pets, buffs, debuffs, stacking, terrain, runawaylikehell, you name it.
    7) With higher level archers, make absolutely sure you're dealing with only one of them at a time. Otherwise, you're swiss cheese no matter what. Applies to your dearest pet too.
    8) Especially if it's high level, make it quick - kill it as fast as you possibly can, with everything you have (see item 6 above).

Edit - just a couple of elaborations

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  15. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

That place is fun! It's The Rise. I've killed the dragon once pre-final, and once earlier this week. Also, the Elven Archers there with 1k+ health....are not fun....at all.... But it's a fun place to grind out if you have a good group with a good healer.

helm and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  16. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

But that's my point. I have to do all of that to take out one archer. Also, no need to be a [removed word, by Berek]!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
  17. helm

helm Avatar

Huh? o_O

Look, I was genuinely trying to be helpful (not only to you, but to others as well) by telling almost anything I know about the subject, while trying to bring out the relative current absurdity of attempting to deal with npc archers in this game, in the form of (apparently failed) humor. Apologies if my post offended your person in some way.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I deleted my first post because it was just bad feedback and I just got back from getting killed by archers over and over. While archers might be a bit tough this is still early access, and ballancing is still taking place.

Another thing is my character (while level 50) is still no where near as well rounded as he will be. I haven't exhausted all the possibilities of the builds that line up with the type of character I want to have in new britannia.

Also archers like this add another level of strategy so that we don't play the same click and point actions in each area. So I'm not sad that my mage got owned by a few archers (that's why I have the sprint and blink skills for). So dying is really my fault.

19. helm

helm Avatar

One (in my opinion very relevant) thing than I'm not sure I understand, is the apparent need and striving to "balance" everything under the sun in the first place.

It works, or should work, like this: You choose a combat/magic school, or a combination of several ones. Your choice, whatever it is, will be strong against several other schools, and weak against some. So what? Isn't this how it should actually be?

Clearly, counters to archer attacks (NPC and otherwise) need to be more widely available. And I'm certain that "balance" will be achieved in one way or other, but sincerely hope that it will be achieved by developing effective counterattacks/defences, instead of nerfing what is starting to work pretty well already. As the old saying goes, don't fix what isn't broken.

20. agra

agra Avatar

The 10 month old counter to archer attacks was "fixed" to not work the way it had worked for 10 months, that being Root.
    As a Post-Persistence precedent, this example clearly (to me) demonstrates balance was not a priority for those 10 months. But it is now? I guess?
    The most recent patch also (finally) adjusted the CC immunity buff duration. This was asked for so many times after it was put in game, and posters (myself included) posted screenshots clearly showing it wasn't working properly. Silence on that topic for well over 6 months, then suddenly... it's been adjusted.

It makes me very sad that despite the community requests to have these things adjusted many many months ago, the developers waited until now to do it. All this does is reinforce my opinion that they do not read, do not listen, and do not act on what we say in a timely fashion. :(
    I fully expect R33 will be the NGE for Shroud.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.