Archery and PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Smalls, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

As it stands their aren't many builds that can stand up to archery in pvp. Plate doesn't really help, and those that run in light armor get ripped to shreds fairly quickly. Has anyone else who doesn't use archery in PVP noticed this. Are we going to be forced to go with what works vs what we like to use to be viable? If you are melee based an archer with Water magic will shut you down. If you are caster based you will be in light armor and get ripped to shreds by rapid shot.

Any suggestions on balance, or is this how we want it?

2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Your right on point, archery is way OP, i personally hate being an archer or a mage for that matter, but i cannot compete with out one or the other built into my melee build! If im wearing plate your arrows should ricochet off me, you can argue that arrows changed the battlefield in history, but it changed because of Bodkins (armor piercing arrows) fine you want some of those you will pay a high price for it. then i could take the damage from them, but you would waste lots of gold on them, they should be way expensive as well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Leelu likes this.
  3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Usually when I play an archer I mix and match armor according to what I plan on fighting. It is handy to have an assortment of armor to test out on each enemy. Goes for different type bows as well. Some games I have played kept things at random, so it made prep a necessary evil. But then again I am a methodical player, and not very detail oriented. I depend on visuals more than anything: how many steps to be out of bounds, where does the enemy move and how many times it goes to that point , etc.

Ice Queen and blaquerogue like this.
  4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

in my opinion the problem is that archery shots arn't interruptible like they are in real life. Sorry, but if I'm on top of you swinging a sword you are not shooting that arrow at anyone.

5. Curt

Curt Avatar

They should add some spell/ability that was channeled and broke if target got close.
    So you used it vs the archer and unless archer got close he would take more and more damage.

Insinious FizzleThorpe and Leelu like this.
  6. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Moonshadow -----Very good point. If I hit a shield , I expect it to ping right off. Correct! I am running my patooty off to get away from ya.

Ice Queen and Moonshadow like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

if you want to get real, archers never rushed into battle one on one, they spent more time keeping distance so they could shoot the enemy, or had a wall of armored protection either or. mages should be the same, their main point is to attack from a distance and keep that distance from the melee fighter. to become an archer/mage that can physically melee, take up swords or something along with it, most archers in history also wielded swords! Why because the enemy gets close to you and you need to defend and conquer the bow is useless up close and personal!

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

Another point of reality, shields were a dominating factor on ancient battlefields, they offered superior defense against everything, in some cases it didn't even matter if the person knew what he was doing with the shield. I have been disappointed with shields, not just as a piece of equipment but as a skill tree as well.

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

[​IMG] damage dealers to plate

Leelu likes this.
  10. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

And too, in actual battlefields, Archers were the 3rd or 4th in the line of defense. Good Archers were in high demand. They were normally protected, as they wore the least amount of armor and were usually stationed at the highest point of defense.

Ice Queen and blaquerogue like this.
  11. Curt

Curt Avatar

There used to be a unimplemented skill in the shield tree that was supposed to increase ranged defense.

12. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

Shields(kill) should be a great factor in arrow blocking imo

13. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

In the real world an archer would rarely be able to wear heavy armor because its quite a workout pulling that bow. The best bow takes just about all your strength to pull,which you could not do regularly with plates on your arms. Additionally no archer point black shoots much of anything, maybe one shot before your are slashed or skewered.

blaquerogue likes this.
  14. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I would love this, to be able to quick swap to a sword/melee weapon & back during combat. Just depends on the hand your dealt. Just like using a bow & suddenly casting a magic spell, It's just using a different skill tree.

Adam Crow and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.