Archery combat

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sir Niccoli, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    So it feels like I burn through arrows like crazy. I leave town with 300 arrows and burn through them so quickly.

First reason I see for this, zero recovery of arrows. Maybe it's just me, but this seems somewhat crazy. It's silly that I'm essentially carrying a quiver of arrows that's bristling, would be funny to see a caricature of this actually...

Another thing that would be nice is the ability to toggle the auto attack. I run a mix of archery and magic, and aside from initial pulls and some of the ranged abilities, I don't really want to waste the arrows on auto attacks.

I think being able to recover arrows, even with a loss, would really improve it. However the only thing I see is a 3rd (or 4th) level skill for it, that's going to cost quite a bit, and hopefully is worth it.

Also, for crafting arrows, is there any way for me to collect "bundles of feathers" or am I stuck buying them from a vendor?

2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

1) 300 arrows? HA! NOOB! Try with 2000 at a time... :p

2) The skill is not worth it - it's still broken, at the moment. It will be worth it once fixed (ranged attack should receive some love soon), and basically a necessity for the conscious archer.

3) You can turn off auto attack in ESC > Game menu, close to the end of the list of options. I don't know if it affects ranged combat, but you may give it a try.

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have looted hundreds of arrows from elf archers. I always give these away, because I am not an archer.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  4. Mata

Mata Avatar

I love archery, but I gave it up, while it is no payable. I hope changed this.

Yes, you can buy feathers from crafter vendors, in Owl's Head or Ardoris or Solania.

5. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

1) I've stepped up to 500 arrows, as I get a bit more money and supplies I'm sure that will grow.

2) I find it's a good addition to my mostly magic based fighting. Better than a wand and the Aimed shot crits can be awesomely devastating. (I haven't gone beyond the first active skill due to the different arrow requirements)

3) I'll have to check that out, being able to toggle auto attack would be the best, but just turned off and depending only on skills might work.

Elves are a good tip, hadn't thought about that. I've definitely gotten to the point where I should be able to handle them.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You can make some NICE bows with +20 Speed, +20 Range and or +20 DMG?

pick 2 of these so could be 40 range or 20 dmg and 20 speed pick your poison

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

So I have the skill that has you not consume arrows 30% of the time (all 3 levels of it) and it definitely slows down how much I'm burning through. Still I think there should be some chance for recovery of arrows from your kills however.

Also I just made a bow with +20% damage, +20% range. I haven't tested yet, but I believe it's going to be a step down from my founders bow, which is unfortunate if so. I mean, if the founders is going to be the best I can ever get, then good deal for me I guess.

Crafted bow: 3-10 damage plus 20% base damage
    Founders Bow: 5-15 damage (this is significantly higher unless the 20% bonus applied to ability damage, which I doubt based on the "+20% base damage" bit.

Anyone know if the 5-15 is currently the best? Are there going to be better?
    Does the range bonus only apply to auto attacks or does it apply to skills used while wielding the bow? Ranged Skills specifically or "ALL" skills?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Elven Bow is better if I remember correctly (I stick to free founder bows though, no need to repair them - you just pick another one). You can often find this bow sold by public vendors.
    I don't know about the range bonus and I wish I knew that too. Also the base damege is not obvious either because we don't know if "ranged" skills calculate damage on base damage (and what stats does it use btw? Str? Dex?)
    One of the devs should enlighten us about how the final damage of ranged tree skills is calculated (str+weapon dmg+base dmg bonus+ranged bonus? dex+ranged bonus? what is it? please tell us!)

9. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Does anyone know if any crafted bows are better than the elven bow from the stretch goals? I've made several but none seem to be better at this point and generally crafted weapons are better than what can be purchased.

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

In terms of base damage, the answer is a resounding NO o_O (I played a hybrid archer/ mage for eight releases; finally went all mage in R19 and won't pick up my bow again until they fix archery:() The primary benefit of crafted bows is the advantages you can add (i.e., like fire damage - (DoT is always good :D) or enhanced stats - i.e., STR, DEX, etc., or increased range or attack speed ;)). ( I crafted four different versions of the long bow with various enhancements...:rolleyes:)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Aye Gabriel has nailed it the ONLY bonus I found of ANY value was Range Increas. With 40% range increase you I was able to use a Summons and stay out of range and shot the Target with the summons attacking.

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

That's true, Weins 201 ;) (Of course, I had already maxed out my range to level 5 in the archery skill tree, so it didn't make much of a difference to me o_O) Adding increased range to your crafted bow is a good option if you want to spend those skill points on something else...:rolleyes:

Sean Silverfoot and Gaelis like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The crafted longbows with a crit success (+3 str) can be nice for mage/ranger hybrid, but other than that Weins is right.

Gaelis and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

...and Themo Lock would know, because he is a combat machine :D (Thanks again for all of your hard work with the combat scrums :))

Mata, Gaelis and Themo Lock like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Weins and i crafted pretty much every single variant of everything lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.